Hardware Operation Faceplate NA - Bring the regular sized New 3DS to North America!

endoverend

AKA zooksman
OP
Trophies
Website
zooksman.com
XP
Country
United States
Reddit user EqualsN said:
In the Direct, Nintendo announced that the New Nintendo 3DS XL would be released in North America on February 13th. However, we weren't given any information on a potential release of the New Nintendo 3DS REGULAR version (the one with customizable faceplates that was released in Japan and Europe/Australia) As the release date for the XL version is less than one month away, it's very unlikely we will be receiving any new information about this prior to the release of the New Nintendo 3DS XL.
Not to be defeated by this disappointing news, I immediately called the Nintendo Customer Service line, with good intent, in hopes to at least voice my opinion and make my concern and my interest in the Regular version known. The representative asked if this was a "Complaint" or a "Suggestion", and so I told him to put in an entry for both. To my surprise, after giving my feedback to the Nintendo Customer Service representative and asking if they received feedback like this often, he admitted that THERE AREN'T THAT MANY CALLS THAT REQUEST TO GIVE FEEDBACK.
This is the part where you come in! If you live in the US or in the NA market and you were HOPING TO PURCHASE THIS REGULAR VERSION, then I ask you to spend a few minutes of your time and help me let Nintendo KNOW. The number is at the bottom of this post.
You may think this kind of push from a lot of people doesn't go noticed, but whether you think it does or not, I'm here to ASK YOU TO CALL and AT LEAST make your opinion known! Because apparently, the Nintendo Customer Service call center, which is located in Redmond, WA (RIGHT NEXT TO Reggie and all the execs at their US headquarters) doesn't hear us enough.
In Europe, there was a small promotion available to select Club Nintendo members who had the privilege of purchasing an exclusive "Ambassador Edition" REGULAR New Nintendo 3DS. Some may say that convincing Nintendo to distribute a product like this to retailers on a national level would be impossible. I don't know about you, but I am a Club Nintendo member and I would gladly jump at the opportunity to buy a regular version if it was offered directly through Nintendo via a similar promotion to the one in Europe. In my call to Customer Service, I gave this as a "Suggestion."
So whether you're going to call because you want to "Complain" about how you can't get it and would have preferred to, or whether you want to make a "Suggestion" to sell it directly to fans through a promotion similar to the one in Europe, PLEASE CALL and help me to let them know! The number is 1-800-255-3700 I pressed 5 (General), then 4 (Console Availability) on the automated system.
A little background here, I worked in a call center for a few years myself, and our operations manager had to keep a daily report of what the main contributors were for the call volume that day. And trust me, having even just 20 people call in about the same thing makes a buzz in the office, and that passes to their managers and those managers have to report it to their bosses. These guys are literally a stone's throw from Reggie's office. There's no way this isn't getting noticed.
I hope the calls don't stop just cause the day has ended. On the other hand though, I'd like to encourage everyone to focus their efforts on SUBMITTING FEEDBACK. Specify this to the agent you speak to, and it will make their job easier. I know how stressful it can be having to take these sort of calls--your hands are tied, you can't change the way things are, and you only have so many options. So, when you call, make sure you FOCUS ON giving Nintendo FEEDBACK. You'll be allowing the agent a way to give you a "resolution", without having to repeat the same line they already said to fifty other people. AND you'll be directly passing the message on.
If you have any opinion at all, PLEASE submit it to Nintendo! Calling in would likely be the best way, as it's literally making your voice heard. If you want to use other methods however, or are otherwise unable to call, then the means are here below. I'll try and keep this updated.
Sorry for the mega-block quote. Anyway...
We need the voice of the GBAtemp community to show Nintendo that the fans of NOA want the regular sized New 3DS, not just the XL!

Nintendo Customer Service
  • Phone: 1-800-255-3700 (6:00am-7:00pm PST. Option 5 for General, then 4 for Console Availability.)
    • If you're having difficulty getting through to a representative, you may need to call again.
    • If you're not in the US, Skype can make free calls to US Toll-free (1-800) numbers. Try it out!
  • E-mail: [email protected] (confirmed to be the best e-mail for the issue)
  • Chat: 6:00 AM - 6:30 PM PST
  • Twitter: https://twitter.com/nintendoamerica (Use the hashtag #OperationFaceplateNA)
  • Physical Mail: Nintendo of America / PO Box 957 / Redmond, WA 98073-0957 (Also Reggie's fanmail address.)
  • There are two petitions for this cause, but they are unlikely to be effective compared to direct communication. Here and here. The second one also is a petition to end region locking on 3DS, which is a cause I highly recommend supporting.
  • Don't forget about Miiverse!
    tSnIF1t.png
It takes a large voice from us fans to show them what we want! We've already attracted a lot of attention including a Kotaku article and swamping the Nintendo phone lines! Help us bring this console to America!

I want to note that the limited edition Majora's Mask New 3DSXL is creating a high call volume as well. Be sure to create a clear distinction by specifying that your call is regarding the REGULAR New 3DS, and (if applicable) your disinterest in the XL version. And remember to focus on having the representative SUBMIT FEEDBACK. They have tools to do this, and some call center reps reportedly haven't used them in quite some time.

For the non-believers out there, a reminder: if the entire call center (or at least the majority of it) is aware of the increase in call volume, the operations manager or the manager for the site IS ALSO going to be aware of the increase, and will want to know what the calls are about, and may even be OBLIGATED to pass this info on to superiors.

Once again, CALLING IN has a much more significant effect than simply making internet noise. In the call center world, this is referred to as "call volume", referring to the amount of calls. Although I think that name can also describe the distinct loudness of our message. Increase call "volume" = increase the "volume" of our message!

Personally, I feel that if you feel strongly about this, DO NOT give in and buy the XL version.

I know it may seem like Nintendo doesn't care, and never will care about these kinds of complaints. But every voice counts. There has to be someone high-up that is even contemplating selling the regular sized new 3DS in NA. Let them know you want it!

Ralph1611

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i wish yall the best of luck... ill probably call...but Im importing one and its coming Thursday

Can you add something about blocking the region lock so that importers are happy too?

Maximilious

Whistles a familiar tune
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think the way this went down is sales numbers. Nintendo America likely sized up it's sales from regular 3DS and the 3DS XL. XL sold a heck-ton more than the regular, so they based their decision on that. The N3DS does look like the perfect fit though, but I've never had an XL and it looks to rest a lot nicer in the hands which is why I'm getting one - And that's all the MM edition is in :glare: . If it's anything like my phone, I know I always want a bigger screen as I'll probably upgrade from my Galaxy S5 to the Galaxy Note next year haha.

Considering they probably made this decision 6-8 months ago when the N3DS was announced and there are no current NTSC region coded Regular 3DS', you're probably looking at the same lead-time before they have them available. Plus the time it would take for everyone to call/petition/what-have-you to make them decide to release it. So we're probably looking at a year+. I don't want to discourage you, but just putting some hard timelines on this for expectation purposes.

Myria

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
At Target in Orange County, California, I see licensed third-party carrying cases for 3DS that actually have the new Nintendo 3DS logo listed as compatible for both XL and non-XL. It's as if Nintendo didn't even tell its licensees that the non-XL wasn't coming here. Perhaps it was a very late decision not to release them here as well, like December or so.

Maximilious

Whistles a familiar tune
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
At Target in Orange County, California, I see licensed third-party carrying cases for 3DS that actually have the new Nintendo 3DS logo listed as compatible for both XL and non-XL. It's as if Nintendo didn't even tell its licensees that the non-XL wasn't coming here. Perhaps it was a very late decision not to release them here as well, like December or so.

Well anything that can fit the XL can also fit the non-XL. And they may also sell these in AU and EU countries as well which could explain the "mis-print"

Rinth

Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
I never understood the appeal of the regular-sized 3DS. I find the decision to sell only XL version very practical.

tbb043

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
my girlfriend has tiny hads for a 4'9 japanese woman. it would have been nice for them to release both. :(

Well, if she's a japanese woman, she's in luck, as they did release the tiny japanese version. She should just get that one. ;)

I think you're outta luck trying to convince NOA of anything these days. Only way they bring out the tiny version is if they intended to all along at a later date.

omgcat

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, if she's a japanese woman, she's in luck, as they did release the tiny japanese version. She should just get that one. ;)

I think you're outta luck trying to convince NOA of anything these days. Only way they bring out the tiny version is if they intended to all along at a later date.

1st gen Japanese in america, can't read kanji...

JustPingo

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Even though I can't call because my oral english isn't credible enough xD, I hope you guys will be able to get some coverplates ^^

idx13

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I never understood the appeal of the regular-sized 3DS. I find the decision to sell only XL version very practical.

Seriously?

1) It's WAY more comfortable and lightweight

2) The screen resolution matches the screen size better (it's actually too low for even regular old 3DS)

3) The cover plates are an amazing addition and totally appealing to me. Biggest reason I wanted it. I can't count how many times I saw a Gameboy in a new color and wished I had it just for the color.

4) Colored face buttons.

endoverend

AKA zooksman
OP
Trophies
Website
zooksman.com
XP
Country
United States
Seriously?

1) It's WAY more comfortable and lightweight

2) The screen resolution matches the screen size better (it's actually too low for even regular old 3DS)

3) The cover plates are an amazing addition and totally appealing to me. Biggest reason I wanted it. I can't count how many times I saw a Gameboy in a new color and wished I had it just for the color.

4) Colored face buttons.

Well said. I'd hate to have to be stuck to one color with the XL, and unlike most people I use portable gaming systems as portable gaming systems.

Maximilious

Whistles a familiar tune
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well said. I'd hate to have to be stuck to one color with the XL, and unlike most people I use portable gaming systems as portable gaming systems.

I think everyone uses them as portable gaming systems? I would rather watch Hulu or Youtube on my better res phone.....

MidLevelCrisis

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Be glad you get the XL launch around the same date as europe, the way it was rolled out in Japan and australia earlier on different dates makes me suspect its simply a production capacity shortage. I'm sure the regular 3DS will come to the US, the other option would have been having to wait even longer for the New XL to launch simultaniously. I know it's annoying, but this is just pointless. . . and nobody is forcing you to buy a new XL.

endoverend

AKA zooksman
OP
Trophies
Website
zooksman.com
XP
Country
United States
Be glad you get the XL launch around the same date as europe, the way it was rolled out in Japan and australia earlier on different dates makes me suspect its simply a production capacity shortage. I'm sure the regular 3DS will come to the US, the other option would have been having to wait even longer for the New XL to launch simultaniously. I know it's annoying, but this is just pointless. . . and nobody is forcing you to buy a new XL.

Why is that attitude necessary? Seriously? This is just a fan project and if you don't like it does that make it pointless? And who said Nintendo was forcing us to buy the xl?

MidLevelCrisis

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Remember operation Moonfall? Nintendo was already working on majora right after OOT 3D. Petition I can understand, calling and mailing customer support won't help anyone, and just prevents em from helping people with real questions quicker. Them releasing the regular N3DS is a given, but you won't be able to speed it up. But who am I to say this, do what you must to deal with it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/@legolambs