operating systems

snakepliskin2334

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hello all i cant decide on what operating to choose from. windows 7 home peruiume windows 7 basic windows 7 ultimate and a few others i dont want a operating system that hogs resources and uses a lot of memory so can some help me decide the best one (: thanks

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Go with windows 7 Home Peru.
Just because it sounds exotic.
If you can't find it because it doesn't exist, go with 7 Ultimate.

Reactions: 1 person

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If money is an issue, Home Premium. If money is not an issue, Ultimate. Ultimate comes with more features. There are additional resources being used with Ultimate, but they are negligible, and you can disable just about anything you don't want.

If money is an issue, you might just want to wait for Windows 8 in the fall (RTM in the summer).

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It all depends on what you're expecting from the OS. If you don't need that much in the way of features (or could just easily acquire that stuff elsewhere), Home Premium sounds like your best bet.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
XP is not an excellet OS for a new machine. It's on life support as far as updates are concerned, it's using technology and ideas that are over 10 years old (and no, updates and service packs don't think things like change the GPU driver model or default program rights), it's starting to lack support for newer hardware and some programs, and so on.

sentinel5000

Trophies
XP
Country
Ok this is very simple, Dual boot my friend!, Partition the disk on half (of whatever u like) and install windows 7 home premium in one and Ubuntu 12.04 in the other. Then u will have best of both worlds. Personally I use Ubuntu 12.04 and I LOVE IT. But its not for noobs, u need to know how to do some tricks and stuff. Give it a try.... maybe ull like it too!

D

Deleted_171835

Home Premium.

Don't listen to the people saying "ultimate". Ultimate has higher resource usage because it has more features, but you didn't mention needing any of them, so there's no reason to you to pay more for it.
Wait, what? Since when does Ultimate have a significantly higher resource usage?

There is no performance difference between Ultimate and Home Premium unless you enable certain (optional) features such as Bitlocker and even that is negligible.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
I'm not talking signifigantly higher and it is quite likely the performance difference won't be noticed (well, the disc usage is when doing a comparison but that's not really an issue unless an SSD is in use).

I'm just mentioning that suggesting Ultimate is against the OP's desires, and costs more for no benefit that the OP has stated they need.

Blood Fetish

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I challenge anyone recommending Windows 7 Ultimate to name a single feature that is of use to a normal user who is not in an enterprise environment.

CrimzonEyed

Trophies
XP
Country
Ok this is very simple, Dual boot my friend!, Partition the disk on half (of whatever u like) and install windows 7 home premium in one and Ubuntu 12.04 in the other. Then u will have best of both worlds. Personally I use Ubuntu 12.04 and I LOVE IT. But its not for noobs, u need to know how to do some tricks and stuff. Give it a try.... maybe ull like it too!
Ubuntu is the most easy to use Linux OS there is.... (well Linux Mint is even easier and even faster though)

Anyway, what do you want to do on your computer?
Gaming Machine?
Media Machine?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: butte