ByJustAsix
OP
Trophies
Website
www.byjustasix.com
XP
Country
United States
So ok i had a virus attack my computer and it eventually got to my Master boot record my friends thinks therefore i cant upload the operating system. so i put the xp cd in there to try the recovery system and one it says the only Operating system it sees is in the G:// drive and it ask for a password but I forgot i even set....one....what do i do now....i need to change the password but how since i cant reach the operating system....is there any other way to fix the MBR

D

Deleted User

You can actually change your password with a bootable linux. I did that once but the MBR was intact and I don't know if it works with a damaged MBR. Unfortunately I forgot the name of the image but, you can try this one:

http://home.eunet.no/pnordahl/ntpasswd/

It was the first one that Google came up with so any other suggestion would be to google for yourself or wait for someone else.

And please don't bump the topic again, moderators don't like it.

Filter

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I suggest booting up a Live BartPE CD and recover the files you need and just reinstall XP or what ever Windows OS your using.

www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/

wchill

Resident chillxpert
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Get a Linux live disc, reset password, and run an antivirus program.
Try booting off the XP disc again, and try fixmbr and fixboot. (Not on G: of course)
Reboot, and see if it works. If not, then that virus has sure fucked up your drive.

Now, if you can't reset your password, then you'll have to reinstall XP. I don't know a way around this. Maybe LoginRecovery (loginrecovery.com)? I don't know.

Jiggah

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
You probably shouldn't screw around with your parents' stuff.

Anyway, older version of the recovery console do not need the password. If you can find a copy of Windows without I think sp2, it won't ask you for a password and allow you to simply access the drive to fix the mbr.

Also, it's highly possible that you could just hit enter when it prompts for a password as most people don't even put in an administrative password when they actually need to.

KingAsix

ByJustAsix
OP
Trophies
Website
www.byjustasix.com
XP
Country
United States
1.MY dad gave me the laptop but didnt back his crap up...i just dont have time to hear him bitch
2.i'll try login recovery
3.i try the xp w/o sp2
4.i dont knoe if XP was pre instal

wchill

Resident chillxpert
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Login Recovery will make you wait 3 days to figure out the password, and you pay to get it to figure it out in 10 minutes.
So, do it now, but also try to erase the password first. It's efficient multitasking.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjK2lPBzGzo