Gaming Opera Mini

Shyn

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't know about you guys, but I absolutely HATE the PSP's browser. It is slow and very hard to navigate on certain pages.

And I haven't seen anybody post about this before, so I figured I would share.

Using the homebrew PSPKVM, you can install and use java applications normally designed for cell phones.
The latest version of Opera Mini (4.1) works using PSPKVM.
PSPKVM: http://www.pspkvm.com/
Opera Mini: http://www.operamini.com/download/pc/gener...dvanced_midp_2/

Download the latest version of PSPKVM, which at this time is v.0.3.2.
Download opera-mini-advanced.jad and opera-mini-advanced.jar from the Opera Mini website.
Put the pspkvm folder from the archive into your PSP>GAME folder (or GAME150, depending on what you're using)
Put the 2 opera mini files on the root of your memory stick.
Start PSPKVM and find and install the .jar and .jad files, when prompted for which device you want to use, choose J2ME Standard 480*272

Connect to the internet, and enjoy.

Note: When I installed this on mine, I received an error that said, "Verification of server certificate failed. Please check the date setting in your device." To fix this, go out to the XMB and make sure your date and time are correct. The easiest way sync the time with the internet.

If you have any questions about getting this to work, post here and I'll do my best to help.

Here's a picture of gbatemp on Opera Mini, taken with CWCheat
snap002.jpg

EDIT:
Tip: Go to settings for Opera Mini after you have it installed, change the preferences for Airtime to "Just do it and don't ask" and this will skip the confirmation to connect to your network.

T$unami

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
fantastic but when I try to run it opera goes through the install then stops saying it can not connect to the internet.

I select the accesspoint 1st it connects ok to that, then i open opera where it then trys to install and fails as i said above!

any tips ideas?

T$unami

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ok my goof, You need to let it it use the "mobile" network which may incurr charges id been sating no as obviously the psp isnt connected to a mobile network.

another problem i have though is txt enrty, is there an easier way, ie the original way of inputing txt

Narin

The Cheat Master, kupo!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
cheats.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
T$unami said:
ok my goof, You need to let it it use the "mobile" network which may incurr charges id been sating no as obviously the psp isnt connected to a mobile network.

another problem i have though is txt enrty, is there an easier way, ie the original way of inputing txt
No, it says iit needs to connect to the "mobile" network because it was made for cell phones. By mobile network on the PSP, it means the WiFi and no charges will be made to you.

Shyn

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
T$unami said:

Text entry is bad due to PSPKVM. I'm sure if enough people contacted the creator of it and suggested a better method of text entry, he would work on it.

QUOTE(superrob @ May 26 2008, 01:49 PM) Cool!
But how do i "turn" the screen
tongue.gif
? It looks kinda wierd when the psp has to be hold wrong.

I don't understand what you mean when you're saying it has to be held wrong. The J2ME Standard 480*272 setting should allow you to hold it normally.

Shyn

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
superrob said:
Hmm whehn im trying it just frezes and then all the files is corrupted and needs to be re installed ;S

Delete PSPKVM and both Opera Mini files and try it again. If it still is giving you a problem, check what plugins you have running.

QUOTE(jalaneme @ May 27 2008, 08:49 AM) hmm, whats the deal with the text entry then?

The virtual keyboard on PSPKVM is not that good, it is organized A-Z, and you have to switch character sets for caps, numbers, and symbols. The creator of PSPKVM only added keyboard virtualization recently, so I'm sure it will be improved in future versions. I actually read in the shoutbox that he is working on supporting OSK for an input method.

Narin

The Cheat Master, kupo!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
cheats.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Text entry will of course suck on Java midlet/applications due to them being made for mobile phones which either have a full qwerty keyboard or at least some buttons to enter text. Normally you have to tap a key a couple times to get the correct letter you want on a cell phone. Problem is, the PSP doesn't have these keys so your stuck with a virtual keyboard.

Shyn

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
drock360 said:
That looks like a cool idea, but I don't see any problems with using the PSP internet browser...

If you don't have any problems with the PSP browser, then this may not interest you much. For a lot of people, however, the PSP browser is absolutely unbearable to use. The loading times are ridiculous and the way it formats some pages makes them nearly unusable. In addition to this, the newest version of Opera Mini is able to sync to Opera Link, which you can sync to your desktop's latest version of Opera, which will let you access all of your bookmarks (for me, this is over 300 bookmarks). Sometimes I am too lazy to start up my laptop when I am on the go for checking just a few pages.

Narin

The Cheat Master, kupo!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
cheats.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
The reason why pages load faster under Opera Mini and sometimes a fraction of the normal website's size is due to Opera Mini using a transcoder server to handle all their traffic. When you visit a website in Opera Mini, it connects to a transcoder/proxy server which then fetches the page and compresses it down to Opera's proprietary byte code format which cuts down the size quite a bit and transfers that data back to the device. So its not the device doing the actual rendering of the HTML but the transcoder server.

Shyn

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Narin said:
The reason why pages load faster under Opera Mini and sometimes a fraction of the normal website's size is due to Opera Mini using a transcoder server to handle all their traffic. When you visit a website in Opera Mini, it connects to a transcoder/proxy server which then fetches the page and compresses it down to Opera's proprietary byte code format which cuts down the size quite a bit and transfers that data back to the device. So its not the device doing the actual rendering of the HTML but the transcoder server.

That's good information to know, thank you
smile.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Apply snorgle to pinfor.