Hacking OpenWii 2.2 DVD UPGRADE!!!

Smack

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Question: Why is this only implemented for the Chiip ie ATMega8L series and not some of the other chips that this project started on?

Personally I am low on DVD's and don't have a RW, so for the moment I am happy to upgrade via my programmer but this is great news for the more casual modder.

shtonkalot

Can't hold on much longer, But I'll never let go!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Question:Â Why is this only implemented for the Chiip ie ATMega8L series and not some of the other chips that this project started on?

Personally I am low on DVD's and don't have a RW, so for the moment I am happy to upgrade via my programmer but this is great news for the more casual modder.
The ATMEGA 8L series is programmable using only low voltage whilst most of the other chips require 5-12V to program.
Additionally the ATMEGA 8L has more space to program to.

By wiring say a PIC chip differently internally it would be possible to update the eeprom on it, but there isn't much room on them for the code and many of the pics (the popular 12F269 for example) wouldn't be suitable.

I believe this will be great for people who don't want to open their Wii's up but do want to be able to upgrade their chips. This is great news for installers too as it gives customers a cheap upgradeable alternative that is internal.

Smack

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
The ATMEGA 8L series is programmable using only low voltage whilst most of the other chips require 5-12V to program.
Additionally the ATMEGA 8L has more space to program to.

By wiring say a PIC chip differently internally it would be possible to update the eeprom on it, but there isn't much room on them for the code and many of the pics (the popular 12F269 for example)Â wouldn't be suitable.
Well there you have it! Thanks for the explanation and I figured as much that the ATMEGA's were easier to program however I didn't know the others needed a higher voltage. Now I just wish there were a local supplier of these chips near Vancouver. I have a few friends that want mod chips but I can't find any ATMEGA8L's anywhere around here. People respond to me like I am retarded when I ask. Might have to order via Futurlec again if they keep pressing the issue. Or maybe I am looking in the wrong places.

Smack

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
The only place I could find them in store here in Australia wanted nearly $20 each for them!
I ordered some online for under $2 each.
Totally. I found the 8L-16 once but yeah it was over $10 a chip. I paid just over $10 for 2 chips, parts for them and a programmer and shipping. WTF!

dohclude

Trophies
Website
www.MODaWii.com
XP
Country
United States
atmega chips are stinkin cheap. you can buy alot of them on ebay for a good price, but if you just want one or two place a "free sample" order on atmel's website and yu can snag them for free. I have been installing openWii+atmega8l chips for my customers for awhile now and they all love them. No complaints here.

trm382

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yeah im curious about this too, i feel like randomly theres more going on then I know about... what is the functionality of this vs. the wiikey/wiid chips?

iamwhoiam

Honorary R4 Fanboy
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
yeah im curious about this too, i feel like randomly theres more going on then I know about... what is the functionality of this vs. the wiikey/wiid chips?

They are the same only
a) open source, therefore,
b) more updates which also means
c) more features in the future, and most importantly
d) non commercial, therefore
e) cheap

the only negative is that
f) it requires a bit more planning in terms of programming it, but if you got the know-how, you'd be silly not take take up openwii/wiifree instead of wiikeys

Smack

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
i heard it flashes your chip with an upgrade or sumthing...so its not a modchip..its like a upgrade system? O.o
It is very much a mod chip you just have to build it yourself. Once you have your initial build done you can upgrade it via DVD in the future. Prior to this you would have to remove the chip and reprogram it via your computer.

iamwhoiam

Honorary R4 Fanboy
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
other than the dvd upgrade feature

What's the different between OpenWii, WiiFree and YAOSM? Advantage disadvantages etc...

The only reason I can see to take the openwii is because of the ATMEGA series of chips, but they still cost more than WiiFree. Someone said on the openwii forums that wiifree would soon be dead, is this true?

Last question: Does anyone have schematics for ATMEGA programmers? Cos I can only find schematics for PIC micros.

rrburkha

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
other than the dvd upgrade feature

What's the different between OpenWii, WiiFree and YAOSM? Advantage disadvantages etc...

The only reason I can see to take the openwii is because of the ATMEGA series of chips, but they still cost more than WiiFree. Someone said on the openwii forums that wiifree would soon be dead, is this true?

Last question: Does anyone have schematics for ATMEGA programmers? Cos I can only find schematics for PIC micros.

check out the chiip website. its got everything you need to know and is easy to read:
http://chiip.descrambler.de/index.php/Main_Page

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/WOppJ92RgGU?si=KE79L6A_3jESsGQM