1. theravingrabbid

OP theravingrabbid Advanced Member
    Newcomer

United States
    I'm somewhat new to PS2 softmodding so I'll just keep this simple.

I recently got the SATA hard drive adapter for my PS2 for use for my games on the hard drive. Although while playing them, it comes with some freezes here and there, like every 15-20 seconds. Games like PaRappa 2 kinda suffers from this because when it freezes, the lyrics goes out of sync with the music. I use a Seagate 949GB hard drive from my old broken laptop.

So is there anyway to stop the games from freezing/lagging for a bit? Do I have to change some settings in OPL? Any help would be much appreciated.

2. rs1n

rs1n GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Check the health of your hard disk. HDD Scan is free; check the SMART attributes of the drive. When you plug it into your computer, ignore all messages about the drive needing to be formatted. The symptoms definitely seem like hardware issues with either the drive or the "network" adapter.

If the drive is healthy, then you probably just have a bad adapter. (I'm guessing it's one of those Gamestar adapters, correct?)

3. theravingrabbid

Newcomer

United States
    Correct, it's one of the GameStar adapters from China that has a sata port on it. And I never checked the health of my hard drive so I'll be sure to do that in a bit.

4. theravingrabbid

Newcomer

United States
    So far so good, it could be that my adapter is just bad since it IS from china.

Attached Files:

5. rs1n

rs1n GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I suppose it can’t hurt to open the adapter up and see if anything needs to be re-seated to form proper connections. Also try tinkering with the compatibility modes to see if any of them help. (I find that the newer the drive the more likely the need to “slow” them down via the DMA settings.)

Last edited by rs1n, Jul 23, 2020
  6. TunaKetchup

TunaKetchup GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Vietnam
    It could be the adapter

I've read that people have had problems with the gamestar ones(glitches, freezes, etc) although I personally have not.

7. theravingrabbid

Newcomer

United States
    Is there any adapters that work a little better than the gamestar one?

8. rs1n

rs1n GBAtemp Regular

United States
    The official Sony adapter with a SATA upgrade kit works well. I got mine from maxdiypower.com

Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - OpenPS2Loader, seconds, freeze