Openly gay people will be allowed to join the military in the U.S soon

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by Vidboy10, Dec 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vidboy10
    OP

Member Vidboy10 Tsardom

Canada
    Washington (CNN) people serving within its ranks is one step closer to ending, after the Senate voted Saturday to repeal the armed forces' "don't ask, don't tell" policy. Eight Republicans and independent Joe Lieberman of Connect joined the chamber's Democrats to back the legislation, which passed around 3 p.m. by a 65-31 margin. The bill needed a simple majority -- meaning support from 51 of the Senate's 100 members -- to pass."I want to thank all of the gay men and women who are fightin for us today," said Sen. Susan Collins, a Maine Republican who pushed hard for the measure. "We honor your service, and now we can do so openly." President Barack Obama will sign the bill into law next week, White House press secretar"Gay and lesbian service members -- brave Americans who enable our freedoms -- will no longer have to hide who they are," Oba said in an e-mailed statement to supporters. "The fight for civil rights, a struggle that continues, will no longer include this one."[/p]

2. Law

Member Law rip ninjacat that zarcon made me

United Kingdom
    Title needs a change, since homosexuals can already join the US military.

Seriously, there is nothing wrong with don't ask don't tell. If I can keep to myself about my sexuality, why can't they keep to themselves? It's a fuss over nothing.

edit: although I guess this is good in the sense that they might be giving married homosexuals the same monetary benefits that they give to straight married servicemen.

3. geminisama

Member geminisama Metsu

United States
    Yeah, they were able to enlist, but wasn't the "fuss", over how they got discharged if people found out? Maybe I don't understand the policy too well, but from what I've gathered, being gay WASN'T ever allowed, it just never got asked, so unless it was proven, you were able to stay in.

If gays wanna subject themselves to the horror that is marriage, and the pointlessness of these wars, go for it. I approve of this bill.

4. nando

Member nando GBAtemp Addict

United States

that's very simplistic, but gay men get outed by others and discharged thanks to this bill

5. GundamXXX

Member GundamXXX Ergo Ego

Australia

Small minded much?

This is for those who want to be open about their sexuality. Jut because you keep it to yourself doesnt mean the rest of the world has too...

OT: gg! This is heading in the right direction

6. Law

United Kingdom
    That's great, when I'm in the barracks trying to sleep and the guy across the room is telling his buddy about the SWEET MALE ASS he tapped during leave in an outside voice I'll be sure to think of you.

The point is that there's a time and a place for everything. Sexuality is not relevant to the military.

7. Etalon

Member Etalon Former Akaio Fanboy

Morocco
    lol. That's funny! [​IMG]

8. GundamXXX

Australia
    Bwahaha you make me laugh. So its ok for me to say to my buddy "Check out the tits on the chick I nailed last night" in the barracks when the guy across teh room is a "raging fag" but the other way isnt allowed?

The way you see it no talk about sex, genders, spouses, kids etc should be allowed because it might offend someone

9. Law

United Kingdom
    I never said it was okay for you to say that, either.

Like I said, time and a place for everything.

10. coolbho3000

Member coolbho3000 GBATemp Kikkoman Naturally Brewed SoySauce Fanatic

So what's the problem?

They're equally not "okay," but you can do one and get discharged, and the other and not even get reprimanded.

11. GundamXXX

Australia
    Obviously but talking about the person you love or the person you shagged can be discussed regardless of time and place in my opinion. Atleast I do it

The whole issue is like coolbho3000 said, heterosexuals can talk about it but homosexuals cant because they will get in shit.
    Freedom of expression for all, if I want to talk about my personal life I can , you dont have to listen

12. geminisama

Member geminisama Metsu

United States
    The "Don't ask don't tell policy", just reminds me of one major flaw they teach kids; "No matter what, be yourself", so people do, and they're bullied by their peers, employers, government, etc. Kinda sad really, because what they should be telling young people is, "Be yourself, unless it's something greater society doesn't like, otherwise you can get in trouble, fired, beaten, etc. [​IMG]"

It just gets me something like THIS is such an issue, in a country that constantly brags about how free it is; but everyone has to fight tooth and nail to gain rights for such simple things.

13. Centimetro

Member Centimetro GBAtemp Regular

United States
    who the hell wants to join the military?

14. geminisama

Member geminisama Metsu

United States
    All the impoverished inner city kids they intentionally try to recruit, and rural kids that wanna kick start and do something with their lives, even if it is a shitty, "job." Right now they should just be happy people are still signing up.

15. GundamXXX

Australia
    Lol your so right
    I act myself and I get in shit so people tell me "Act yourself when youre not around other people, pretend youre someone else then"

Its a sad sad society ;p

16. Vigilante

Member Vigilante TempLurker

Philippines
    Isnt this the thing lady gaga was fighting for?

17. injected11

Member injected11 Crescent Fresh™

United States
    It's about damn time.
    It is.

18. BlueStar

Member BlueStar GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    If you joined the army, no-one would know you were straight? Like, you wouldn't put your female wife down as your next of kin? You'd never discuss your significant other with other soldiers, you'd never admire a female celebrity in a magazine? You'd never tell an anecdote about something you did while on holiday with an ex-girlfriend, or joke that at least the rations are better than your wife's cooking? You'd never say to your best friend "If I get shot, I want you to give this to Jane"? You'd actively hide your sexuality so that no-one could hazard a guess as to your sexual preference?

I imagine that there are a high number of people who know that you're straight. Friends, co-workers, casual acquaintances, is that because you've been flaunting your sexuality to them? In fact, I'm just some guy off the internet and I know you're straight. How can you make this claim you're capable of "keeping it to yourself"? You seem pretty crap at it to me.

You seem to think the only way of finding out if someone is gay is if they describe their sex life to you in graphic detail.

19. GundamXXX

Australia

This.

Just because you are an open gay person doesnt mean you have to talk or act like a Jack from Will and Grace or dress like a dragqueen, if you do that youre not really made for the military I think lol
    All it means is to replace "she" with "he" or "he" with "she" when you talk about intimate relations, nothing more

20. Crystal the Glaceon

Member Crystal the Glaceon GBAtemp Inkling™ Squishies~

Antarctica
    Even though I had no intentions of joining the military, but I am glad to see "Don't ask don't Tell" finally being repealed.
    Now I hope one day people stop making a stink about people's sexuality and get on with the real problems in the world.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.