OpenLara - a stunning GBA port of the 1996 classic Tomb Raider

In what appears to be an impossible feat, GBAtemp member @XProger has managed to get the the original 1996 PlayStation and PC classic, Tomb Raider running on the Game Boy Advance.

OpenLara is open-source project that can function as a replacement engine for Tomb Raider (1996) and is available for a number of platforms (including but not limited to the 3DO, Raspberry Pi, Xbox and more).

Lead engine developer @XProger has gone a step further and managed to scale the project down to run under the GBA's 16.78MHz arm CPU at a frame rate that appears to hover around the 16fps mark - an outstanding display of technical wizardry.

In what @XProger describes as an alpha version, OpenLara for the GBA currently only offers 3 levels of the game and excludes original FMV sequences, however the developer has expressed their intent to continue work on the GBA port by improving performance, trimming cutscenes down and more. The author goes on to state that they expect the complete package will be able to fit within a 256Mbit ROM.

Hi guys, I'm the lead developer of OpenLara engine.
More than year ago I released a tech demo, back then I was not sure that the GBA is capable for such game. But over time I improved my ARM skills, found new ways to optimize rendering and logic. The result is what I can honestly call an alpha version. There are many further improvements in the plan, as well as optimization of content and video to fit the entire Tomb Rader game in a 32 MB cartridge, but so far only 3 levels are available.

Check out the video of OpenLara in action on the GBA above and follow the links below for further information and to support the dev.

:arrow: OpenLara Github page
:discuss: OpenLara discussion thread (GBAtemp)

x65943

i can be your sega dreamcast or sega nightmarecast
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
From what I read, the minimum for a cpu is 8-bit
Apparently, even atari 2600 used 8-bit processor
1, 2 and 4 bit CPUs all exist, but I will concede they certainly weren't used to play vidya

Zetman

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Never seen a gba game with this graphics. Seems strange to me but ok...:wink:.
Are we sure that it is an original gba without hardware improvements?

Tomb raider for gba was a complete shit

regnad

Button Masher
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
well the game and watch has technically 1 bit graphics (1 color) the gameboy uses 2bit graphics (4 colors). as for processing, i think 2 bit cpus exists but idk.
So you’re saying with a little tinkering we can get Tomb Raider running on an original Game And Watch?!!?!?

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
This can't be real! People would have killed for that back then. :D
I don't know, the game boy advance came out in 2001.

I'm not sure if people would have killed for a 1996 game, it's kinda cool but it doesn't look great. It would likely have been panned if released commercially. The games that did come out aren't great either though.

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I don't know, the game boy advance came out in 2001.

I'm not sure if people would have killed for a 1996 game, it's kinda cool but it doesn't look great. It would likely have been panned if released commercially. The games that did come out aren't great either though.
Yes they would.
People were amazed to be able to play Final Fantasy 6 in their GBAs.
I remember it quite well, I was there (TM).
If they saw Tomb Raider running like this on the GBA... they would have literally killed to get it.

emmanu888

6 years and still going strong
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
All i can say is this is just pure witchcraft just like the 3DO port of OpenLara.

The GBA didn't even have the hardware for 3D graphics, it was all done through software rendering which makes this port even more impressive.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: @SylverReZ, Indeed lol