Hardware Opening up Pokémon Gold and Silver

Xarsah16

GBATemp's Official Village Dingus/Idiot
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I'm thinking about replacing the save battery in my Pokémon Gold, Silver, and maybe even Crystal carts. I've heard CR2025 works real well, but now I see on Wikipedia that the CR2032 works even better. Has anyone tried the CR2032 battery? How does it fit? The article I was reading does say that it is a little larger.

I should be able to open up the cart with the Tri-wing screwdriver too, right? Up until now, I haven't heard of anything that would allow me to open it. I tried using needle nose pliers, but that didn't really work all that well.

Fat D

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
you need a small gamebit (nintendo proprietary screwdriver bit) for that. triwings do not work. they're just for the handheld systems, controllers and wii

Xarsah16

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
So what size gamebit would I need? I only see the 3.8mm for the N64 and the FamiCom as well as the 4.5 for the GCN/N64. I was hoping I could get it off of play-asia, but that doesn't look like it.

But then I saw this post in another forum that said that the 3.8 works. Click here to see!

Click here to see the gamebit I was looking at. I also looked at the Tri-wing screwdriver, and this was the description. It does say that you can use it to open cartriges...

QUOTE said:
Using the Tri-wing Screwdriver you can open the security screws of any GB Advance, GB Color or GB Pocket handheld or game cartridges. It's perfect for Afterburner Kit installations.Â

Xarsah16

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
It's been a couple days, and I need an answer so I know what exactly to order. Someone, please?

Xarsah16

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks for reading
unsure.gif
I meant what should I order? the gamebit or the screwdriver?

I'm thinking the bit. I noticed how the back of the GBA cart screws have three little ridges to stick the screwdriver in, and on the gbc cart, it's kinda star shaped, with no ridges to hold the screwdriver. I'll post an image once I scan my games.

arctic_flame

GBAtemp ATMEGA8 Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Tri-wing screwdrivers are the tool to use to open GBA cartridges.

They do not open GBC cartridges. But I've never seen a screwdriver for sale that will open one...

Beware

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1.Get a Bic pen made of the white plastic (yes, it should be Bic and must be that white plastic) and take out the pen part so it's just a tube with a hollow point.
2.Use a lighter to heat up the end. Do NOT let it brown or blacken, just heat it up enough to be soft and maleable (don't touch it as it will be hot, melting plastic, but I'd like to hope you're more intelligent than that). You can tell when it's melted enough when it's shiny.
3.Immediately shove the pen into the notches on the screw. Hold it there firmly for about 20 seconds. It will harden and it should be solid enough to use as a makeshift screwdriver.

You may want to use a different screw when you put it back together. I'm not really completely sure if this will work as I don't know how large the GBC cart screws are, but it's how I open Gamecubes and they use the same screwdriver, almost.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/MddR6PTmGKg?si=mU2EO5hoE7XXSbSr