Misc Opening Ports for Call of Duty: Black Ops

sonknuck23

Mighty Switch Force >
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'm wondering if opening ports for Black Ops will even do anything. I'm able to play just fine, but the moment I play in the same room as my router, it all messes up. I can't find games, and when I do, I get disconnected very quickly.

Will opening ports help with anything? And if so, how exactly can I do this?

PPSainity

Blinded by Science
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
sonknuck23 said:
I'm wondering if opening ports for Black Ops will even do anything. I'm able to play just fine, but the moment I play in the same room as my router, it all messes up. I can't find games, and when I do, I get disconnected very quickly.

Will opening ports help with anything? And if so, how exactly can I do this?
Seems like that room you have the router in causes a lot of RF bounce-back for your connection to suffer so much, that or your router/Wii just can't handle strong signals. If indeed it is a signal issue, port forwarding won't really help you out. In that case I would recommend using the Wired LAN Adapter, or possibly fiddling with your routers transmit power if it's firmware allows for it.

Port forwarding for a game like CoD:BO is only meant to alleviate the load on certain routers that fail at NAT traversal by creating the explicit rule to send port traffic to the Wii. The Wii uses many ports but just for CoD:BO Multiplayer you only need to forward the following: TCP [443, 3074] UDP [3074, 3075] as a minimal set.

I gotta ask...Why are you moving the Wii around different rooms so much?

-[]D

sonknuck23

Mighty Switch Force >
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Ah, I got my own little room now, I call it the cave haha. All my stuff is in here, so I put the wii in here from time to time just to get away from certain things. Lol.

Anyway, would getting a better router help? This router is old and crappy.

EDIT: I checked. The transmit power is at 100%. . .
frown.gif

PPSainity

Blinded by Science
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
sonknuck23 said:
Ah, I got my own little room now, I call it the cave haha. All my stuff is in here, so I put the wii in here from time to time just to get away from certain things. Lol.

Anyway, would getting a better router help? This router is old and crappy.

EDIT: I checked. The transmit power is at 100%. . .
frown.gif
Honestly, when it comes to WiFi reception, it's all trial and error. A new router might help, or might not. This is where borrowing from friends and neighbors comes in handy. If it is an old router, chances are you can load custom firmware like Tomato or DD-WRT which allows you to play with settings like transmit power if the stock firmware does not - NOTE: flashing such firmware will void your warranty.

If you believe that WiFi reception in that room is to blame, run inSSIDer on a laptop while you're gaming on your Wii to see what the WiFi signal strength is like. You might find that doing something as easy as changing channels to/from 1,6,11 is all that was needed.

Best of luck.

-[]D

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: The cybertruck is a death trap.