opening.bnr vs. 00000000.app

Discussion in 'Wii - Emulation and Homebrew' started by giantpune, Aug 30, 2010.

Aug 30, 2010

opening.bnr vs. 00000000.app by giantpune at 10:27 AM (2,511 Views / 0 Likes) 8 replies

1. giantpune
    OP

Member giantpune GBAtemp Addict

United States
    Does anybody have any documentation on the differences between the banners used in disc games and the ones used in channels? Specifically I would like to simply be able to convert some of the sexy channel banners that have been made over the years to put them in a iso as the opening.bnr. I was under the impression that the opening.bnr was the same format, but simply had 0x40 0s added to the start of it. But this doesn't appear to be the only difference. I have tried about 50 banners from forwarder channels, simply removing the first 0x40 bytes. Only about 4 of them worked and showed up in the disc channel. The rest just crashed the system menu.

So, does anybody have any idea what must be done to properly turn the 00000000.app into a functional opening.bnr?

Also, I have taken some banners apart and mixed and matched the parts of working and non-working ones. It always comes down to the banner.bin that is causing the crash. I can take the icon.bin and sound.bin out of a banner that crashes the system menu and put them with a banner.bin that doesn't crash the system menu and the entire opening.bnr will work fine.

2. SifJar

Member SifJar Not a pirate

United Kingdom
    Have you tried unpacking the 00000000.app, and then unpacking the banner.bin of a working and a non-working banner, and checking for differences?

Also, its clearly possible to turn an opening.bnr to a 00000000.app, because tools like Crap do that for USB forwarders. See if you can reverse that process perhaps?

3. Aurora Wright

Member Aurora Wright GBAtemp Maniac

Italy
    Another difference I noticed was that opening.bnr has some size limit (if you exceed that, you crash the System Menu), and since "formwarder channels" usually use WAVs for sound, they're often some MB in size. If you try official VC/WiiWare banners, or other banners with BNS sound (such as these ones), you shouldn't have issues.

4. sr_corsario

Member sr_corsario GBAtemp Fan

Spain

Thats correct. Time ago i was testing opening.bnr maximum size. Its aprox 516Kb. In case to be bigger the system freeze. (i got head ache looking for the problem... )

However, there are no problem with 0000000.app size on installed channels

5. giantpune
    OP

United States
    ok, then do you know if it matters how big each part of the opening.bnr is? or how big each part of each of those parts is? i mean, is there a size limit on the sound.bin, banner.bin, brlyt, brlan, etc files or just is just collectively ~516KB is the magic cutoff?

6. sr_corsario

Member sr_corsario GBAtemp Fan

Spain
    Its the size of opening.bnr , I dont think it could be per archive size.
    Wii should decompress it (or do something) somewhere giving a default space for it.

And somewhere i wrote the maximum size... but it was time time ago... but sure about 516Kb/560kb didnt arrive to 600Kb.

I hope it will be helpfull

Sr Corsario

7. giantpune
    OP

United States
    is there a program floating around that converts the sound.bin to bns format? i assume this is the biggest waster-of-spacer in the whole banner.

8. qwertymodo

Member qwertymodo GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    CustomizeMii will do it (and allow you to extract the result). Not sure about any standalone converters.

9. SifJar

Member SifJar Not a pirate

United Kingdom
    I think you should be able to knock something up with either Wii.py or libWiiSharp. Probably be able to make some sort of automated tool, so convert the sound, and do any other changes necessary, then make it an opening.bnr. Perhaps lowering the quality of some TPLs if its still over sized.