ROM Hack Opening .BIN files (fairy tail DS game)

sgn15

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hi, i would like to know how to open .BIN files that are inside a rom that i opened using Tahaxan

bd302a4f70711126c795b43d0ff0c42a.PNG

i have tried using tahaxan to open other games (like gigant battle DS rom) but it has aar files.

this game has few files only and they are .BIN files.

this game is "TV Anime - Fairy Tail Gekitou! Madoushi Kessen (Japan)"

my intention for opening the files are for ripping the sprites from this game. thanks in advance

Reactions: Olden

sgn15

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
thanks. i tried this file (found thru google)
www.megaupload.com/?d=B3YGKBIV

and it says there is a missing DLL file missing (mfc71u.dll) so i found it (mfc71u.dll) and put it in the same folder as crystal tile 2 but it still didnt worked. the error message about the DLL still appears

Phoenix Goddess

The Ninja's Protégée
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
sgn15 said:
thanks. i tried this file (found thru google)
www.megaupload.com/?d=B3YGKBIV

and it says there is a missing DLL file missing (mfc71u.dll) so i found it (mfc71u.dll) and put it in the same folder as crystal tile 2 but it still didnt worked. the error message about the DLL still appears

You can grab the mfc71u.dll from one of the previous Crystal Tile 2 programs and put it in the up to date one.

Reactions: Olden and Rylan

sgn15

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i downloaded a version of crystal tile 2 that works. i opened a BIN file and press F5 to open it in tile viewer.

how can i mess with the jumbled sprites till i found the sprites i am looking for?

and the files inside this game (as shown in the pic in the first post) are not separated into 1 file per character so i have to find the sprites.

Phoenix Goddess

The Ninja's Protégée
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
sgn15 said:
i downloaded a version of crystal tile 2 that works. i opened a BIN file and press F5 to open it in tile viewer.

how can i mess with the jumbled sprites till i found the sprites i am looking for?

and the files inside this game (as shown in the pic in the first post) are not separated into 1 file per character so i have to find the sprites.

You can search for the TTLP in the hex editor.

Phoenix Goddess

The Ninja's Protégée
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
sgn15 said:
im sorry but what is TTLP? and how to search for it in hex editor? ctrl+F ?

TTLP is how you find the palette.
You Ctrl +F or just go to find, type in TTLP(After you decompress the file if it has compression) and it should come up. You'll copy the text between TTLP until you see PCMP, RCSN(I think that's it) or 00s then you right click and go to Data to Palette conversion. Then you go to the Tile Viewer and go to the the Tile Format to choose the one that looks less jumbled. You can use the arrow keys until the image is clear but don't forget to Fit Window to Tile under View.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

sgn15

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
so this is what i did:
out of all the BIN files i extracted, only 1 bin file has the TTLP code

i selected the text between TTLP and RCSN here

fb25e7c901fcd0ecaf65dd61540941a1.png

(when i right click nothing happens, the selected codes only deselect) theres no right click menu
click edit--->convert to palette
then i press F5 (tile viewer)
I see still jumbled sprites (i dont see parts that are less jumbled)

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It is possible that the .bin files are compressed ( http://gbatemp.net/t232718-crystaltile2-2010-06-12 which you already have will often have a little LZ icon when it detects LZ compression when you go to browse the rom using the inbuilt file selection options)- trouble is .bin is a very generic extension and can be anything and frequently is. Do note that utility.bin is the wifi/download play binary and nothing to do with the rest of the rom- if you wanted though the same programs that pull apart DS roms will pull apart that one, it probably does include several sprites depending on how in depth the multiplayer is and TLLP is a good sign as it is the magic stamp for a common graphics format.

In passing though you mentioned aar files- I had only seen them in Jump Ultimate Stars before but they have been reverse engineered http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=608...=30&start=0

If however you are just sprite making what about trying desmume- it has a fairly good graphics/tile/palette viewer (certainly enough to rip some sprites). Not to mention it can drum up some equivalent hexadecimal you can use to search through the rom for. If you take into account the possible big or little endian nature of things (it should be covered in any rom hacking and a short section does not drum up what you need then chances are compression exists.
Similarly poke around the GBA LZ tools of http://www.romhacking.net/?category=&P...itle=&desc= and there are more in depth compression searches with graphics capability.

sgn15

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ok if this is possible then maybe ill rip them using desmume.

this game (fairy tail on DS) automatically zooms out when a char jumps. the camera zooms out to cover both the jumping char and the opponent char on the screen.

is it possible to hack the rom and disable the zooming out in some way?

ill check out all the links you posted. thanks a lot. very much appreciated

Barubary

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
United States
The sprites are all inside the arc**dat.bin files, which have a very simple format; the file starts with the offsets to the files inside, after which the file data starts.
You can extract these kind of files with this java program (you'll probably need java 1.6 installed though). Run it by typing the following on the Command line:

Code:
java -jar GenericAUnpacker.jar filename1 filename2 ....

Where filename1, etc are the names of the files you want unpacked. If you opened the command line in the same folder as the archive files, the unpacked files will be in a newly created subfolder next to them.

However this will not get you very far with ripping the sprites, as most interesting files are compressed (.ECD files). It is a LZ-like compression scheme, but so far I've only managed to determine the proper length of the compressed blocks. (which means I can generate files of the proper length, but with large blocks of padding in them)

There are some uncompressed PLT, IMG and SCR files though, which contain palette, image and tilemap data respectively. I think the PAT files contain animation data (like NCER files), but I'm not 100% sure about that.

sgn15

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Barubary
thanks a lot for clearing a lot of things, guess i chose the wrong rom to try to rip sprites from thru extracting files and stuff

Rydian
it seems that forum site is either inactive or there are few or no people willing to help. i saw many threads there with 0 replies. i actually made a thread there not for this ds game but for another game (GBA game). and it seems to be full of pokemon fans lol. should i make another thread there for this problem (removing the zooming out) cheat?

Rylan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can grab the mfc71u.dll from one of the previous Crystal Tile 2 programs and put it in the up to date one.
Sorry to bump such an old topic but I wanted to say thank you, this solution worked for me.
I came across this thread via google.
If anyone else is having the same issue this may be helpful.

Reactions: Phoenix Goddess

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    He said he had 3 different doctors apt this week, so he prob there. Something about gerbal extraction, I don't know.
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    bored, guess i'll spread more democracy
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    @K3Nv2 one more time you say such bs to @BakerMan and I'll smack you across the whole planet
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Make sure you smack my booty daddy
    +1
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    telling him that my partner is luke...does he look like someone with such big ne
    eds?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    do you really think I could stand living with someone like luke?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    I suppose luke has "special needs" but he's not my partner, did you just say that to piss me off again?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    besides I had bigger worries today
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    but what do you know about that, you won't believe me anyways
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BigOnYa can answer that
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    BigOnYa already left the chat
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Biginya
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Auto correct got me, I'm on my tablet, i need to turn that shit off
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    With other tabs open you perv
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm actually in my shed, bout to cut 2-3 acres of grass, my back yard.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I use to have a guy for that thanks richard
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I use my tablet to stream to a bluetooth speaker when in shed. iHeartRadio, FlyNation
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    While the victims are being buried
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Grave shovel
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh those goto the edge of the property (maybe just on the other side of)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    On the neighbors side
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yup, by the weird smelly green bushy looking plants.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Water park was quite fun
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Water park was quite fun