Opening an ebay/paypal account...

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by pokefloote, Mar 29, 2011.

Mar 29, 2011
  1. pokefloote
    OP

Member pokefloote GBAtemp Addict

United States
    Has anyone ever set up a paypal using one of the money pack greendot cards? It says it should be good, but some parts of the site say it needs a banking account to lift any sending limits. I am only nineteen, and I don't really need a banking account yet. Don't have a credit card either.

tl;dr (yeah right): Would I be able to sell games on ebay, then use that money to order something online without a banking / credit card account but instead a moneypack.?

Just wanting to sell some games to save for the 3DS. [​IMG]

2. Urza

Member Urza hi

United States
    I'm not sure what a "money pack" is, but if you have the required funds in your Paypal account (from selling on eBay for example), they don't need to interact with your bank account at all for you to make purchases.

3. pokefloote
    OP

United States
    It's basically a paypal approved pre-paid card. Buy the card for 4.95 then add money to it whenever you want and put it on your paypal account.

Thing is, Paypal has a "sending limit" (so I can't buy stuff) and they have not updated all of the website so I can't tell if this would verify and lift the limit.

4. Devin

Member Devin "Local Hardware Wizard"

United States
    Yes, I have. You can set one up without a credit card/bank account. Moneypacks are used to put money you physically have onto your paypal account. They have a one time use...

No, it wouldn't verify your card, but the sending limit is like $10,000's. I doubt you'd pass it.

5. pokefloote
    OP

United States
    And the limit is raised?
    Thank you thank you thank you. [​IMG]

6. Tokyo Jihen

Member Tokyo Jihen GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Maybe you should take this opportunity to open a bank account? I opened a savings account and I was surprised at how easy it was to do so.

7. pokefloote
    OP

United States
    It said my sending limit was "$0.00" and the withdrawal limit was $250 or something like that. I'm not sure if it means there is no limit or if I can't send at all.

Bought a money pack, waiting for the hour time restriction walgreens places on it...

8. FireEmblemGuy

Member FireEmblemGuy Finally hit 1000 posts

United States
    I used a Visa debit card (a Walmart MoneyCard serviced through GreenDot, actually), and that upped the sending limit to $2000. But the thing is, I do believe you need a card with details behind it - PayPal likes to check out your name, phone number, address, etc. to make sure you're a real person. Otherwise it might not verify correctly and force you to jump through hoops to use it.

9. pokefloote
    OP

United States
    Alright, so it looks like I still need a credit/debit card to create a sellers account on ebay. No biggie, tomorrow I'll get a netspend card (debit, someone in my family uses it so I am familiar.)

Thanks guys.