Kwartel

The fairest in all the land
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
openiboot-android-iphone-ipad-ipod-touch-selection-screen.jpg
Maybe you bought an iPhone 4, and wish you had an Android device instead. Maybe you have an iPod Touch or iPad, and just want to see what all the fuss is about. Whatever the reason, the upcoming version of OpeniBoot from the iDroid Project might be what you're looking for. Plus, OpeniBoot loads Android 2.2 to your Apple device without the use of a computer.

OpeniBoot is the successor to Bootlace, which ported the Android OS to the iPhone 2G and 3G. This new iteration will support the newer generation of Apple devices, including the iPad, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, and the 2nd-generation iPod Touch. See below for a video of OpeniBoot loading on an iPad.

If you're unfamiliar with such programs, all you need to know is that they are open source implementation programs that allow your iOS device to load an unsigned kernel, like Android, to your device. Once you have loaded such a program, you will still have the option to load the original OS. It basically makes your iOS device like a dual-booting computer. OpeniBoot isn't yet available for your newer iOS devices, but judging from the video, it should be along shortly.[/p]
icon11.gif
Source
icon11.gif
Dutch Source

Nice~! Though most people buy their iDevices for iOS, since the iPad isn't strong like the Androids from the same price class. Nevertheless choice is good! (Looks at his Windows, Ubuntu, Hackintosh tribleboot pc).

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I read about this a few days ago. I can't wait for it.

I should also be able to use PSFreedom with this, to jailbreak my PS3.

My iPhone will then be the ultimate Smartphone! MWAHAHHAHA

Kwartel

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Overlord Nadrian said:
Sweet. Now it just needs to be reversed, so that iOS and its apps can run on Android devices. I'd prefer that.
That won't happen since Android is open-source so it can be ported, but iOS isn't (as far as I know).

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Jamstruth said:
Dualboot? I am interested now... I'll be annoyed if they've skipped my 3rd Gen iTouch though

I think this update seems to be mainly for the A4 devices...but they also are adding 3GS, which I think may have the same processor as the 3rd Gen Touch, so you may be in luck.

kwartel said:
QUOTE(Overlord Nadrian @ Nov 14 2010, 06:03 PM) Sweet. Now it just needs to be reversed, so that iOS and its apps can run on Android devices. I'd prefer that.
That won't happen since Android is open-source so it can be ported, but iOS isn't (as far as I know).

I think some bits of it are actually open source, but most of it is not.

Kwartel

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
SifJar said:
Jamstruth said:
Dualboot? I am interested now... I'll be annoyed if they've skipped my 3rd Gen iTouch though

I think this update seems to be mainly for the A4 devices...but they also are adding 3GS, which I think may have the same processor as the 3rd Gen Touch, so you may be in luck.

kwartel said:
QUOTE(Overlord Nadrian @ Nov 14 2010, 06:03 PM) Sweet. Now it just needs to be reversed, so that iOS and its apps can run on Android devices. I'd prefer that.

I don't have almost no programming skills, but I found this..
http://www.opensource.apple.com/release/ios-40/
and since it's hosted by Apple it must be legit! If this is the complete source, it is possible to port it to other devices! (As far my knowledge reaches..)

Kwartel

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
shlong said:
You are allowed to make changes to apple software, but you're not allowed to claim it as your own.
So you can make a app which downloads the source, modifies it, compiles it and puts it on the device it's made for without violating the copyrights?
unsure.gif

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
kwartel said:
shlong said:
You are allowed to make changes to apple software, but you're not allowed to claim it as your own.
So you can make a app which downloads the source, modifies it, compiles it and puts it on the device it's made for without violating the copyrights?
unsure.gif
It's not full source I'm fairly sure, so no.

Kwartel

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
SifJar said:
kwartel said:
shlong said:
unsure.gif
It's not full source I'm fairly sure, so no.
Too bad.. It was worth the try though. But my theory was legit?

coolbho3000

GBATemp Kikkoman Naturally Brewed SoySauce Fanatic
Trophies
XP
Country
kwartel said:
SifJar said:
Jamstruth said:

kwartel said:

I don't have almost no programming skills, but I found this..
http://www.opensource.apple.com/release/ios-40/
and since it's hosted by Apple it must be legit! If this is the complete source, it is possible to port it to other devices! (As far my knowledge reaches..)
...which hosts the source code to an extremely small subset of what's actually in iOS 4. There's some WebKit stuff in there, and some other stuff. Nothing else.
rolleyes.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: hmm