Homebrew Discussion OPENGL finally on horizon SWITCH??

mustafag32g

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Check out this tweet:

Failed to fetch tweet https://twitter.com/fincsdev/status/1036235903176519680

Several clarifications: -
Based on Armada's mesa port, continuing where he left off
- This is OpenGL, and concretely es2gears
- Still a lot of work to do but at least this basic program runs at 60fps w/o glitches
- libnx gfx code was overhauled - hopefully no more dequeue fatals!

Feel free to correct me

Last edited by Quantumcat,

Huntereb

Trophies
Website
lewd.pics
XP
Country
United States
Awesome! Unfortunate he didn't show launching and exiting the glxgears port from hbmenu or something, what's shown in the tweet could very easily be done in Linux! Hope and pray this development continues, it'll mean a lot for homebrew and emulation!

Fadi5555

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I hope to see a standalone version of dolphin getting port to horizon os after this
Beside damon pro (this is ps2 emu on android).

Huntereb

Trophies
Website
lewd.pics
XP
Country
United States
The 60 fps part will take a while.
Nah, the primary issue with the current Libretro ports is software rendering. The CPU is more than capable of emulating the console, but when you have to emulate a console as well as render video output, things start to slow down. Allowing the CPU to take care of CPU things, and the GPU take care of GPU things will make all of the difference in performance.

Now, that's not to say the Libretro cores won't have their share of glitches in the porting process. Beyond that, emulation speed is hardly a concern.

mrsupertom

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
What sort of time frame does it usually take for an OpenGL implementation like this to make its way from this stage to a usable driver in, say, Retroarch Switch (RetroNX)? This stuff is really exciting - There's been huge improvements to RetroNX recently (especially the PCSX-Rearmed core) but I feel like this is the missing piece in the puzzle!

Bellebite2000

Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
What sort of time frame does it usually take for an OpenGL implementation like this to make its way from this stage to a usable driver in, say, Retroarch Switch (RetroNX)? This stuff is really exciting - There's been huge improvements to RetroNX recently (especially the PCSX-Rearmed core) but I feel like this is the missing piece in the puzzle!

Two or three hours...

Tons of rewrite are necessary to make it right, and last time dev was talking of at least a month. Since no one can code but everyone wants stuff, it is what it is.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I am the cancer!!! lol