Hacking Open Source Implementation of the ExFat File System.

EarthModder1

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have found 'libexfat', what appears to be a open-source exfat file system implementation. I for one would love to see this integrated into one (if not all) of the USB Loaders. The main reason is being able to store both GameCube and Wii images on one partition, as exFAT does not have a 4GB file size limitation.

Now, I realize that this won't involve "plug n playing" the code into an existing project. However, I do think it would be worth it, especially for OS X users who can't format to NTFS and don't want to mess around with command line tools such as Wiimms ISO Tools.

Link: https://code.google.com/p/exfat/source/browse

tswntk

Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
Problem is: you need Devulotion or Dios Mios to run GameCube isos and both of them ONLY support Fat32.
Further more, most homebrew don't supoort exfat.

Want to store both Gamecube and Wii images on one partition? Use WiiBackManager to convert and transfer Wii isos to .wbfs

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
Yes, this is a good point no GameCube loader can load anything except FAT32 or FAT16 (Devolution is closed source so isn't gonna be adding anything open sourced MUCH LESS do the work to write it himself and DM(L) barely has the memory for the code it's using, let alone more code to support another file system or larger sector sizes that would go along with a drive big enough for this worth the effort)

especially for OS X users who can't format to NTFS
Wait, maybe I missed something here. I thought Microsoft owned exFAT, too. Can OS X really format to it?

tswntk

Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
Want to store both Gamecube and Wii images on one partition? Use WiiBackManager to convert and transfer Wii isos to .wbfs

lol, forgot the OP is on Mac...

I could make the argument that it's not up to someone else to cater to your refusal to learn to use CLI tools like WIT, or refusal to use an OS where GUI tools like that are developed. They're certainly not convenient, but it's that or nothing.

exactly

EarthModder1

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks!

It's not that I mind using CLI tools, I just thought I would bring it up that there is an open source exFAT, ready for the coders to use if needed. I've used Wiimms ISO Tools before to dump the files from ISOs, but not to actually mount WBFS partitions.

trumpet-205

Embrace the darkness within
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
You might see exFAT on Wii backup loading, but don't expect anything on GC backup. Like Maxternal have said Devolution is closed source and DIOS MIOS doesn't have enough memory for additional libraries.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: For example, one of my other favorite songs from them, with some massive house music influence - +1