PS1/2 Open PS2 Loader mod

WiiPower

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
First of all: jimmikaelkael did a really great job on the new core, it looks better, is smaller and faster than the old one. Thank you very much.

But: It's not as fast as i expected it to be. Well i got from 37.3 seconds(patch2 on r129), to 37 seconds(r133), to 36.7 seconds(patch3 on r133) to 36.4 seconds(patch3 on r133 with 16KB request size) when playing the intro movie of Shadow Hearts up to a certain point. This could have one of the following reasons:
- it's just not as good as i thought(i want to prove/disprove the others before assuming this)
- it's my development environment
- it's my network, ps2 and server are connected by a cheap switch
- it's the game

I'll try to gather more infos tomorrow.

Edit: It seems to be the game. God of War has smooth videos now, there are mini stutters, but they could be imagined because i was looking for some. Sadly it seems to not work on the old core, so i can't compare results.

WiiPower

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
wingzrow said:
So does this load from the ps3's HDD yet or is it still slow as molasis from usb 1.1?

On ps3 it only works with usb1.1. Network support is being worked on, maybe it comes soon, maybe never. But i think usb 2.0 and internal HDD support are impossible on ps3.

WiiPower

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Updated the mod(based on the 0.6 release) to allow direct comparing to the official 0.6 release. Since the devs did a great job, there wasn't much left for me to improve. The speed may be only slightly improved in some games, but i hope the less memory usage gets 1-2 more games to work.

WiiPower

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
comfaithgenesisraven said:
Thanks for the revs and your mod
can you do me a favor and upload the latest rev please
thanks alot

When the internal HDD support is added, i will release the next version. It's reported to work already, but the game selection is missing. I assume it's only 1-2 days until it's released. And i had problems with the network anyways with one of the latest versions, it crashed 3/4 of times when trying to start the network and when starting a game.

AceLighting

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
WiiPower said:
comfaithgenesisraven said:
Thanks for the revs and your mod
can you do me a favor and upload the latest rev please
thanks alot

When the internal HDD support is added, i will release the next version. It's reported to work already, but the game selection is missing. I assume it's only 1-2 days until it's released. And i had problems with the network anyways with one of the latest versions, it crashed 3/4 of times when trying to start the network and when starting a game.

Thanks for your response i heard r160 and r161 is meant to be good
games like ico is reported working and fatal frame 3 reported fully working with two options COMPAT_MODE_1 and UDMA0

if you can upload one of the latest revs would be helpful
thankyou

WiiPower

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
r172 looks good:
internal HDD support
modchip issues should be fixed
online gaming without DNAS patching possible

But about your game, i thought the UDMA setting is something that needs to be changed in the source code. Well until one of the devs adds an option for it. I think we just need to wait a little and most of the issues and requests will be done eventually.

PS: The current version only enables the internal HDD on startup if that option is set. This results in the HDD spinning when playing via network, but HDD support enabled. I think that will be changed soon. Also it seems that the "network won't startup on every try bug" is still inside, i hope that also gets fixed or an option in the settings. As said before. i think we just need to wait a little longer.

AceLighting

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
WiiPower said:
r172 looks good:
internal HDD support
modchip issues should be fixed
online gaming without DNAS patching possible

But about your game, i thought the UDMA setting is something that needs to be changed in the source code. Well until one of the devs adds an option for it. I think we just need to wait a little and most of the issues and requests will be done eventually.

PS: The current version only enables the internal HDD on startup if that option is set. This results in the HDD spinning when playing via network, but HDD support enabled. I think that will be changed soon. Also it seems that the "network won't startup on every try bug" is still inside, i hope that also gets fixed or an option in the settings. As said before. i think we just need to wait a little longer.
Yeah its good
suikoden 3 now works almost perfect before it was just black screen, about udma i keep hearing that different values gets different results (that some games become playable and even almost perfectly playable) so i hope there will be an option for that soon
Yeah just a little longer as you said but im glad i can suikoden 3 with r172

happydance

Trophies
XP
Country
just comming back in the ps2 scene and seen this very good new about an open source loader for PS2.

just giving it a try now

but got some minor setbacks.

it won't work on my PS2 slim v12 with modbo.. dunno if it's the modchip faults, since it works fine on my fat ps2 v4

when it mean internal HD.. does it mean the internal HD used by the network adapter of the PS2?? and

i just notice what the difference of the USB games by the games on the Menu??
my USB games appears on the USB games menu...but what would appear in the games menu would that be the internal HD?. i got an HDcombo soldered and HD formatted for HDL.. but it won't appear there

WiiPower

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
happydance said:
just comming back in the ps2 scene and seen this very good new about an open source loader for PS2.

just giving it a try now

but got some minor setbacks.

it won't work on my PS2 slim v12 with modbo.. dunno if it's the modchip faults, since it works fine on my fat ps2 v4

when it mean internal HD.. does it mean the internal HD used by the network adapter of the PS2?? and

i just notice what the difference of the USB games by the games on the Menu??
my USB games appears on the USB games menu...but what would appear in the games menu would that be the internal HD?. i got an HDcombo soldered and HD formatted for HDL.. but it won't appear there

With internal HDD, i mean internal HDD. As it seems slims with HDDs connected to the network adapter are not yet working, even if the same HDD works in HDLoader. And about the modchip, you need to disable it, or use a recent build(not the public release).

happydance

Trophies
XP
Country
i see got it working now with modchip disable

such a shame internal HD doesn't work on v12 slim's.. now just gonna find a network adapter for my unmoded FAT

thanl for clearing up my question's, might as well try SMB it might have better performance that loading via USB.

hopes it works for slims!

WiiPower

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
happydance said:
i see got it working now with modchip disable

such a shame internal HD doesn't work on v12 slim's.. now just gonna find a network adapter for my unmoded FAT

thanl for clearing up my question's, might as well try SMB it might have better performance that loading via USB.

hopes it works for slims!

Look here:
http://bitbucket.org/ifcaro/open-ps2-loader/overview/
always useful information about the development process of Open PS2 Loader.

dnniwa485

Trophies
XP
Country
setup a ftp server on your computer.. place your isos on ftp.. then lauch the loader and connect to the ftp server... by entering the IP address and the Port...

WiiPower

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
cobleman said:
How the hell do i setup the Network with network config?

Create a network share with the name PS2SMB. Change the settings that the user Guest has access to it. (access to everybody for example)
And then use usbutil to install the games there in the USB loader format, there's no direct .iso support yet.

On the ps2, give the ps2 an unique ip address, type in the ip address of the pc with the network share. If you have a router, use that ip ddress as gateway, if ps2 and pc are directly connected, use the ip address of the pc as gateway.

WiiPower

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Updated. But if you are able to compile it yourself, this might be uninteresting for you, the speed increase is not that big. With this version i only want to know if a bigger buffer increases the speed on a ps3 with wireless connection. (i know i'm repeating myself)

thegrimlord

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've just tried God of war 2 and DBZ Budokai Tenkaichi 3. It seems artifacts are now increased, and turning off smoothing is the only way for them to go away. I saw no real speed increase during the loading times nor during the videos. Things seem to get even slower with the latest revision, whether it is patched or not. Nice try though. I dunno should I continue testing it...

I guess it is not about the size of the buffer, but how often it is updated. But maybe different values would make a difference.

WiiPower

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
The official version uses a 4KB buffer, the mod a 16KB buffer. Each time the buffer is full, ps2 sends a request for the next part of the data, while it receives packets with 1460 bytes data each. On the 1st packet per request there's some overhead ~100 bytes and the rest is pure data*. So for the 4 KB buffer, it's receiving 3 packets and for the 16KB buffer, it's 12 packets. So at least the mod doesn't increase the number of packets that need to be send.

Did you just say that your self compiled r217 is slower than a self compiled earlier revision? Hmm, that's strange, i didn't see any network speed related changes, i have a to take a look at this.

*I know there's more overhead, but i'm only looking at the 1460 bytes data that arrive at the SMB code

thegrimlord

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It seemed that way, but I did not test any games for a few weeks. When I try out some of the games I played before, I will let you know. Maybe it's only my imagination, and I totally forgot how awfully slow network works...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    S @ salazarcosplay: how are you doing @K3Nv2