ROM Hack Open Experiment: Replace Xenoblade Chronicles 3DS textures with Wii Higher resolution textures

jackkill

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Macau
Xenoblade Chronicle is a very welcome rpg to the New 3ds. However its textures are extremely diluted. Upon comparing the handled specs with the Wii, Ive found that RAM wise it should be able to run the game with the Wii's higher resolution textures (yes the wii don't have HD textures but higher resolution and sharper than the 3ds version). The only reason these washed out textures were used is I guess to reduce the cost of the slot1 card manufacturing by using a 32Gb chip instead of more.

Project status:
-I ve looked into this but got stuck on the XORPAD extraction of the rom decryption as my New3ds Xl is higher than the actually required v4.5 firmware to extract them.

What can be done by others who have access to XORPADS or more:
-decrypt the the rom file system (using 3DS Lazy or any other program)
-extract the 3DS textures (with 3ds explorer I guess)
-extract the Wii textures (TBD but I know its just a googling away))
-test as first solution a simple swap (with 3ds explorer?)
-reinject the textures into the rom and reencrypt n build it. (with 3ds explorer?)

Further to do:
-make an undub version of the game as the english voices are....well they break the illusion for me anyway.

The Wii textures format and 3ds should be the same as other games proved it. Of course it might not work but...Heck its an exciting Mod ;D

Reactions: Margen67

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
i doubt the texture formats will be the same......idk if it will really work out, but tbh im thinking the textures being so....crappy might indeed be down to cart size limits, as they are pretty bad and the games does touch close to the maximum size on a 4GB card........but i doubt its going to be as simple as extract wii textures, dump into 3DS game, pretty sure some level of conversion would be required, but i wouldn't be surprised if it does play ok with better textures

also as of right now there is no way to decrypt XB as it uses the n3DS encryption, although making a tool to decrypt them should be fairly trivial (karl3ds devs already implemented it)

Reactions: Codename and cearp

jackkill

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Macau
i doubt the texture formats will be the same......idk if it will really work out, but tbh im thinking the textures being so....crappy might indeed be down to cart size limits, as they are pretty bad and the games does touch close to the maximum size on a 4GB card........but i doubt its going to be as simple as extract wii textures, dump into 3DS game, pretty sure some level of conversion would be required, but i wouldn't be surprised if it does play ok with better textures

also as of right now there is no way to decrypt XB as it uses the n3DS encryption, although making a tool to decrypt them should be fairly trivial (karl3ds devs already implemented it)

To be honest I relied on that the 3DS SZS files are the same format as SZS files found in Wii games. As in this thread: https://gbatemp.net/threads/extracting-models-and-textures-from-3ds-games.370788/
I am also not so sure it uses N3Ds encryption for two reasons:
1/ it runs on original 3Ds enough to display a message that demand to use the new model so there is a code execution from the same executable file used on both models (unless it then loads a N3ds one after check :/ ). for sure a first check of system is run and the code goes to the message instead of loading the main menu.
2/ that message would mean the original 3ds do run it for a second and for that you need to have it use an encryption supported on original 3ds.

Also I guess the game requires the new 3ds for the increased memory and processing power only.

To be honest I relied on that the 3DS SZS files are the same format as SZS files found in Wii games. As in this thread: https://gbatemp.net/threads/extracting-models-and-textures-from-3ds-games.370788/
i would hope textures would not be down to cart cost... :)
Id bet on it! a few cents less per card is millions of increased profit after sales :-)

liomajor

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The first step is the problem itself, the game is usualy for 9.4.0, since 9.3.0 the encryption key got changed for some parts.

We can decrypt most of it except ROMFS and Partition7 from Cartridge with current Tools.

jackkill

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Macau
The first step is the problem itself, the game is usualy for 9.4.0, since 9.3.0 the encryption key got changed for some parts.

We can decrypt most of it except ROMFS and Partition7 from Cartridge with current Tools.

Not really, I launched the game on my New 3dsxl under the firmware version 9.0...

liomajor

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
N3DS can work with it, you not, unless you have the missing key to xor a working romfs with working xorpad. Go ahead and try it, you'll see.

EDIT:

Code:
deb2d9cb45b67cabc0578b6ae8c8b67c  000400000F700200.Main.exefs_7x.xorpad         >>> Works
ca6d741d5282fc5ecdaffc1b897e6313  000400000F700200.Main.exefs_norm.xorpad       >>> Works
f2671844c246c821a9068ea72f148e5d  000400000F700200.Main.exheader.xorpad         >>> Works
2a2f252c6dd10cd05755d87be5094fd3  000400000F700200.Main.romfs.xorpad            >>> Not working
4668c370e67e374ba18bde5156576c62  000400000F700200.Manual.romfs.xorpad          >>> Works
b552fb27b2327272dd6ccef92e488a30  000400000F700200.Partition7.romfs.xorpad      >>> Not working
d43d2f62ab0e384a1e67b7bb6113f60c  000400000F700200.UpdateData.romfs.xorpad      >>> Works

Not working = Garbage, no useable / extractable romfs.

Zidapi

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Okay, I'll be the one to point out the glaringly obvious problem here.

You want to rip the textures from a game that runs at 480P on the Wii and insert them into a 3DS game which runs natively at 400 x 240? Without resizing them?

Perhaps you do you plan on resizing them. Do you think your method of resizing Wii textures to a 400 x 240 screen is a more effective method than Nintendo's?
It's likely Nintendo are re-working the original hi-res textures that were converted to 480P for the Wii.

So you're intending to further compress textures that have already been compressed for use on the Wii? And you think the result will be better than Nintendo's effort?

KingOfHell

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

You want to rip the textures from a game that runs at 480P on the Wii and insert them into a 3DS game which runs natively at 400 x 240? Without resizing them?

Perhaps you do you plan on resizing them. Do you think your method of resizing Wii textures to a 400 x 240 screen is a more effective method than Nintendo's?
It's likely Nintendo are re-working the original hi-res textures that were converted to 480P for the Wii.

So you're intending to further compress textures that have already been compressed for use on the Wii? And you think the result will be better than Nintendo's effort?

Unless the GPU doesn't require power of 2 textures, I don't think the screen resolution of the system has much to do with the texture sizes, though obviously you're not going to use 2048x2048 textures on a screen that small.

Also, it also kind of depends on the tools that were used to convert/compress the images. Everyone kind of assumes that a company will use the best tools, but sometimes that doesn't appear to be the case. I knew a guy who, to prove this exact point, re-created a couple of textures from a game and converted them (256 color, 256x256 textures), and got slightly(but still noticably) better quality textures out of it.

We always assume the people working on these games know what they're doing, but for all we know they had some idiot intern in charge of texture conversion, or just ran them all through a script.

jackkill

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Macau
N3DS can work with it, you not, unless you have the missing key to xor a working romfs with working xorpad. Go ahead and try it, you'll see.

EDIT:

Code:
deb2d9cb45b67cabc0578b6ae8c8b67c  000400000F700200.Main.exefs_7x.xorpad        >>> Works
ca6d741d5282fc5ecdaffc1b897e6313  000400000F700200.Main.exefs_norm.xorpad      >>> Works
f2671844c246c821a9068ea72f148e5d  000400000F700200.Main.exheader.xorpad        >>> Works
2a2f252c6dd10cd05755d87be5094fd3  000400000F700200.Main.romfs.xorpad            >>> Not working
4668c370e67e374ba18bde5156576c62  000400000F700200.Manual.romfs.xorpad          >>> Works
b552fb27b2327272dd6ccef92e488a30  000400000F700200.Partition7.romfs.xorpad      >>> Not working
d43d2f62ab0e384a1e67b7bb6113f60c  000400000F700200.UpdateData.romfs.xorpad      >>> Works

Not working = Garbage, no useable / extractable romfs.

I understand your point thanks. I just assumed that since the N3DS could run it under firmware 9, that it meant the decryption keys are embedded in it. I tried using Decrypt9 (https://github.com/archshift/Decrypt9) but my firmware is 9.5 and don't have the exploit old browser on my n3ds. would using it on an original 3Ds decrypt the romfs partition?

Unless the GPU doesn't require power of 2 textures, I don't think the screen resolution of the system has much to do with the texture sizes, though obviously you're not going to use 2048x2048 textures on a screen that small.

Also, it also kind of depends on the tools that were used to convert/compress the images. Everyone kind of assumes that a company will use the best tools, but sometimes that doesn't appear to be the case. I knew a guy who, to prove this exact point, re-created a couple of textures from a game and converted them (256 color, 256x256 textures), and got slightly(but still noticably) better quality textures out of it.

We always assume the people working on these games know what they're doing, but for all we know they had some idiot intern in charge of texture conversion, or just ran them all through a script.

another example is the catastrophic quality of FF13 videos on xbox360. I took the PS3 videos and compressed them using wmp9 codec and got same blueray quality as the ps3. moreover the file size was nearly a third of the crappy xbox360 bink videos!
that shows that also sometimes its just money talking (between sony and square) or just that they didn't bother to think beyond blueray/dvd or didn't know -_- .

Zidapi

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
another example is the catastrophic quality of FF13 videos on xbox360. I took the PS3 videos and compressed them using wmp9 codec and got same blueray quality as the ps3. moreover the file size was nearly a third of the crappy xbox360 bink videos!
that shows that also sometimes its just money talking (between sony and square) or just that they didn't bother to think beyond blueray/dvd or didn't know -_- .
Fair enough. I look forward to seeing what you can do then! Assuming you manage to decrypt the romfs of course :P

KingOfHell

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think it's more like take more care when compressing/scaling the images down so they don't look like shit

endoverend

AKA zooksman
Trophies
Website
zooksman.com
XP
Country
United States
Every time I try to play this game, no matter what version, I never manage to be impressed by the textures. Hell, I have a mid- to high-range gaming PC and running it with the HD texture pack with 2x internal resolution still looks worse on my 1080p monitor than the regular unmodified Wii version looks on my 50" 480i SDTV. I think the regular Wii textures on the smaller screen would look beautiful, and I'm looking forward to this project. Good luck in your efforts!

Reactions: jackkill

dubbz82

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Game textures are often much larger on the media than the system actually requires. This is why, for example, smash brothers for the wii looks so good in dolphin when rendered at 720 or even 1080p. If the textures on the wii are in fact of higher resolution, this does in fact make sense. Are we even sure that they AREN'T using the wii textures already though?

TheShadowRunner

I'm like you, I have no name.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
good idea, although with the Jpn rom now out, i'd rather be interested in an undub.
There's a reason the textures are the way they are, as many pointed out, for better performances..

Apache Thunder

I have cameras in your head!
Trophies
Website
www.mariopc.co.nr
XP
Country
United States
Xenoblade uses a new encryption key slot on the n3DS. The currrent iteration of Decrypt9 isn't setup to account for this and won't decrypt this game properly. I think Karl3DS devs already managed to get this working. Your best bet is to wait for them to release Karl3DS. It will likely include the needed tools to decrypt n3DS exclusive games like this one.

Psi-hate

GBATemp's Official Psi-Hater
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wait...The 3DS version has more detailed and higher res textures than the Wii one...Why is this necessary? My friend have both versions (N3DS XC Rom dump and an actual XC Wii Version) and Wii one is a little uglier than the N3DS one.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    also gonna install twilight menu in my r4 flashcard
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    One thing that just occurred to me.... The sound on the 2600 sucked less back then the harsh sound we hear now is from infinitely better speakers we have now, back when the 2600 was new speakers produced a almost muffled sound, like CRTs made old graphics look slightly better.
    I wonder if I could recommend that to some emulation devs that perhaps the sound could use some smoothing out to simulate those old TVs
    I think a few of the early systems could benefit from that, at least up to the 8 bit generation, by the 16 bit generation I think TVs had gotten a lot better in almost every way
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i dont have an sd card adapter but I have an usb sd card adapter
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Old people games
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    its not the one that comes with the r4
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    doesnt work (my flashcard is from r4isdhc.com)
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    might install ysmenu first
    Try Wood firmware
    For your R4
    It's old but it's the best firmware out for DS stuff
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    it says it only works for the original R4, R4i Gold (r4ids.cn), R4iDSN (r4idsn.com) and Acekard R.P.G.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    nvm it does support mine
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    but why choose it over ysmenu @Psionic Roshambo?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    bc im stupid?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yea ik im stupid
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
    Just give it a try, but honestly if you have a 3DS you can play DS games without a card just off the internal SD card
    Slightly slower loading but a bit more convenient
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, my fuckin headphones have an out of place speaker
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Did you try wearing them?
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/eJV6GaIEgd4?si=ciLPnlhfd7XcrxQn