OoT Master Quest ROM on the original N64 hardware.

callmebob

The Grandpa of Awe!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I know probably everyone is saying why? Just play the Wii or Game Cube releases!

Well for one I just wanted an excuse to dust off my Z64, and besides that I´d rather play the game on the system it was originally made for.

I only have a handful of original cartridges left, pretty much just one cartridge needed to boot any particular chipset.

After a bunch of cartridge swapping I finally got the game running, but to my despair I couldn´t save, so basically it was still just a demo.

Then I thought, well it´s actually just a modded version of the original OoT game, so maybe I could copy a save from it and use it for the Master Quest.

Copied the save over, and renamed it of course. After swapping a couple of cartridges it actually works! The game save from the original had the first 2 slots full, but there are 3 slots so no problem there. The names for the original 2 saves are unreadable gibberish, but the new slot for the Master Quest is normal.

My boot cartridge is Resident Evil 2 (one of the cartridges that were too large for the Z64 to run). I´m sure others will work, just don´t know which ones, and since I have a working set up I´m going to stick with it. Another thing that seems odd is the in game saving. I´ve only played the first dungeon through, but it seems that the best way to save in the middle of a game is to re-equip something. It seemed like every time I switched equipment it asked if I wanted to save. Otherwise the save option didn´t seem to work. I don´t know if that´s normal or not, and there´s a whole lot of game left to play to find out

I´m probably just throwing a dry bone out there, but I hope there are some others out there who, like me, would rather play this one on the N64. Man I loved my N64 back in the day, and that old controller still fits like a glove!!

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the gcn ver is just running a rom of each game, its the same exact thing except without all the constant frame rate problems from the n64

callmebob

The Grandpa of Awe!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
biggrin.gif
Thanks! I know. My favorite form of pirating I´ve ever had the privilige to own. The only way we´ll ever part ways is when it´s or my death do us part!

(spelling. still don´t know if it´s right)

Coto

-
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
You`ve got a Z64??

I always wanted one of those... but here in Chile... they never saw the light ;-;

And right now i´m watching my N64, almost 7 years with me. =P

I´ll never forget that day (since I loved star fox SNES) when I saw StarFox64...

And so now, I still own some plenty good N64 cartridges like Zelda Ocarine Of Time (1.0) red blood. (Guess what!) Zelda Majora´s Mask, Starfox64, Pokemon Stadium 2, Perfect Dark, etc.

Great to share this with us, as since i was a child, I loved those exquisite N64- effects (Like the one in mario tennis, like racket/ball effects) I believe those are frame-buffer effects which likely won´t ever be the same in a computer system.

Coto

-
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
Joe88 said:
the gcn ver is just running a rom of each game, its the same exact thing except without all the constant frame rate problems from the n64

In fact the GCN version seemed to have more severe lags than in real N64 hardware, specially in Majora´s Mask. I own both.

Majora´s Mask N64 Channel fixed those problems, mostly because of Wii. Meaning better machine specs.

thaddius

Charmander is not pleased.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I used to play it on my CD64+ (piece of crap) but it also works with my Neo Flash N64 Cart. Good game. Especially when, like me, you've completed OoT so many times that you can practically do it blindfolded.

EDIT: Also, TMBG rocks.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: :rofl2: