OOT Gateway save and legit save on the same cart?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Allied, Apr 13, 2015.

1. Allied
    OP

Allied Member

Newcomer
    Apr 7, 2015
    Hi,

I wondered whether, as OOT has multiple save slots, can you have a Gateway save, and a legit save, on the same cart in different slots? Tried searching, but with these search terms, it's not exactly easy to find anything slightly relevant. I want to play OOT before my Gateway arrives, and I know that I can't later dump a 128k save to work with a rom. I'd also, you know, like to use the legit cart I bought to play on. :lol:

Thanks!

2. Maximilious

Maximilious GBAtemp Addict

Nov 21, 2014
    United States
    Not possible unless you can read the save file code and somehow move your slot 1 save to slot 2 of the GW save. Honestly though, it's such a great game, just keep the GW save in slot one and start a fresh, new game in slot 2. Should still work without issues.

3. Allied
    OP

Allied Member

Newcomer
    Apr 7, 2015

Thanks for replying! What if I started my game in slot 2 in the first place? Do the slots occupy distinct save files, or distinct locations in a single save file? If the latter is true, could I hex edit my slot 2 save into slot 2 of the GW save file?

4. Maximilious

Maximilious GBAtemp Addict

Nov 21, 2014
    United States

I've never cared to dive into the files themselves but feel free if you'd like and share a tutorial if you get it working for others interested. Like I mentioned I have no issue restarting the game from scratch, I've probably played it through over 50 times since childhood.

5. DragonSky

DragonSky GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 27, 2010
    Belgium
    I wonder if we could copy it in slot2 and then import it or will it be removed?

6. DragonSky

DragonSky GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 27, 2010
    Belgium
    The only solution is then to just download Zelda or backup the cart and play it as rom.

7. ubergeek77

ubergeek77 Post editing world champ.

Dec 6, 2014
    United States
    It's very easy to use SaveDataFiler to switch slots. Each save slot is a different file, and each of them are labeled, so just move over your original save like that and see what happens. Just be warned that the Gateway exploit may not work if you do this, as I have read there is other data in those slots even though they appear empty. I haven't tried it, but feel free to give it a go. If the Gateway exploit stops working after this, then it isn't possible.

8. Allied
    OP

Allied Member

Newcomer
    Apr 7, 2015
    Yeah, I tried starting a game in slot 2 of the GW save. Crashed immediately and corrupted the whole save. Guess I'll just dump the game and play it from the red card.