Ookami to Koushinryou - Boku to Horo no Ichinen

Discussion in 'NDS - ROM Hacking and Translations' started by CPhantom, Jul 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Jul 15, 2008
  1. CPhantom
    OP

Member CPhantom The Noob :(

United States
    Hello everyone, I'd like to start working on a new project here on a very very uncommon/unknown game: Ookami to Koushinryou - Boku to Horo no Ichinen. My other post earlier was talking about file types and such, now I'd like to just get into the project (and hopefully have someone post a guide or two here).

Ookami to Koushinryou - Boku to Horo no Ichinen (or, in a simple title for the project - Spice and Wolf) is a peddling/dating sim for the DS based off of a visual novel series released in Japan that later was turned into a short anime series. I for one am a very big fan of everything Spice and Wolf, because it was actually intended to be a serious series compared to your usual anime. I am hoping the game does not stray far from entertaining. As I said before, this is a peddling/dating sim. The most I can even loosely compare this to would be Harvest Moon, just more on the dating sim side. I also do not know everything within the game myself, considering it is basically unplayable when you can not read it. That is why I want to bring around this project. I do believe that this game has a good level of entertainment awaiting, and I'm not just saying that because I am a fan. The game mixes in two different simulation genres that actually seem to be able to work together. Now, let me post a few pictures to give a basic view of early game stuff.

Ookami to Koushinryou - Boku to Horo no Ichinen
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

And this isn't much, this is just starting the game. Maybe 6 minutes into the intro stuff.

As you can see (or figured), this game is HEAVILY text based due to being a simulator game. Unfortunately I am not skilled in this at all as of yet, which is why I am asking help with the project or giving some nice tutorials on how to do this. Anything to help towards this translation would be wonderful actually. So, I think this about wraps up things about the game. If anyone would like to help at all, please post and do so! It'd be greatly appreciated!

2. CPhantom
    OP

United States
    hmmmm...not much interested then, huh?

well, can someone direct me to some nice translation tutorial of some kind then? I'd like to start this myself at least ^^;

3. HernanZh

Member HernanZh GBAtemp Regular

Netherlands
  4. CPhantom
    OP

United States
    Gah o.o;; I'm so stupid at this, hah. I still can not find out what I'm looking for. How would Notepad help me out in finding the file(s) with text? o.o; and I assume I'd change text in some hex program, right? o.o;

5. HernanZh

Netherlands
    Oh, you gotta have the Japanese language pack installed first on Windows. Or get a hex editor that can display the Japanese.
    The text you're looking for is in the folder called "script". E.g. the first text
    "???????
    ???????????
    ??????????"
    can be found in script\event\ev_act\act_010_opening.wsb
    The inside is quite messy though. There's a lot of control codes between the text (probably they control the text box and text position and such, but that's just my guess)

Edit: I investigated the .wsb files a bit more. I tried stuff out and this is what I've seen:
    -You're dealing with sequential text. That means you don't have to work with pointers.
    -The game accepts single byte ASCII characters, besides the shift-JIS characters.
    -The .wsb files has one extra sub file attached at the end of the script (a list of names it seems, names of backgrounds and sprites etc). If you're going to expand your text, all you need to do is update one pointer, the one that points to this subfile.

In summary, it's looking good for you [​IMG]

Edit again: There is more going on. In a text block, the game doesn't read the text from beginning to end, but only reads a certain amount of characters. I did manage to expand that amount by changing a certain byte, but I don't fully understand it, since I took a 'smart' guess and added a number to that byte.
    Edit last time: I kept changing the bytes between the text blocks, but really random stuff keeps happening which I don't understand, so I quit [​IMG] Something for you to figure out yourself I suppose. Anyway, expanding the script may be a lot of trouble >_>

6. arktikna

Newcomer arktikna Advanced Member

Netherlands
    i'm only speaking for myself, but are you sure anyone wants to play furry games?

7. CPhantom
    OP

United States
    Haha, well I'm just doing a translation for anyone who wants this game. As I said in my introduction, I am a huge fan of the Spice and Wolf series. So I'm doing this for myself, and other fans who'd like to actually play this. I have noticed on other sites and in a few other posts that some people would be interested. So, this wouldn't be at an entire loss. Plus, it also would be a time to try out my hacking abilities. I wanna learn, and to learn I've gotta do...and why not do on a game that I've wanted to play for a long while?

also, HernanZh, thank you for your help with everything ^^ I give many thanks!

As soon as I get my new power supply, I can get my computer the japanese language pack, and this translation can start to get going!

8. psycoblaster

Member psycoblaster Divine

Korea, South
    go grab a hexeditor like windhex and make yourself a sjis table
    load the file and you'll be able to see the japanese
    But for a text heavy game, you'll need to learn some more advanced rom hacking like ASM hacking for a decent translation...
    If scripts are in separate files, you are in luck [​IMG]

9. CPhantom
    OP

United States
    As I wait for my Power Supply to be purchased, I decided to look into a Mac hex editor (because my only other computers happen to be Macs...They are good...but not my cup of tea when it comes to this stuff). Anyway, I knew the Macs had multi-language support, and I could check out the insides of files with a mac hex editor. Little did I know that it also would make some nice little setups when text is selected and wanting to be printed or stored.

So, maybe this could be useful to make nice text layouts? I don't know. But oh well...tinkering can help sometimes.

here is just an example of how it lays out the pages.

[​IMG]

what do you think about that? I find it rather nice!

also, those lines are translated now just for the example as soon as I can get back on my PC, but apparently it says - when translated correctly of course and not thrown through the translation shredder - says "I think that
    early tomorrow evening we should arrive".

10. DarthNemesis

Member DarthNemesis GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    I don't get it, how is that different from other hex editors with Shift-JIS support?

11. Jac834

Newcomer Jac834 Member

United States
    I thought that this was CPhantom's first translation project. He's probably just impressed at how simple it can be...for some games.

Also, good luck with your project, CPhantom.

12. CPhantom
    OP

United States
    Okay, I'm a bit confused here.

I have the Language pack installed on a virtual PC that I have set up on my mac till my Power Supply comes in. However, the text is not showing up at all in japanese with the language pack installed. What is going on here?

I'm using Hex Workshop to check the hex...so yeah.

Any idea what is up?

As soon as I get past this little bump here, then I can start working on this finally.

13. Shyvnal

Member Shyvnal GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    Hex workshop... i had the same problem. Just use windhex with the table.
    File - open file for editing - browse to the file
    File - Open Table File - Table #1 - browse to shiftjis.tbl
    Then Option - View Text data as Unicode. If you go Edit - Dump text, type in 00000000 as start and whatever the end is, name it and the text from the file will be dumped. Then you can start replacing it. Find out the hex for the text (see http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=77749&hl=) and replace it with the English text (41 is A, 42 is B while in shiftjis 8260 is ?, 8261 is ?)
    4 bytes are too long for a translation but because you can use 2bytes (according to HernanZh) it should be ok.

14. psycoblaster

Member psycoblaster Divine

Korea, South
    cuz hex workshop might not have s-jis support...
    just get windhex, go make yourself or download a s-jis table with single byte ASCII characters.

15. CPhantom
    OP

United States
    Thank you for the help! ^^

One more question though - I do not have a ShiftJIS.tbl. >.>;;;
    Is there anywhere to download one? ^^;

Or, how could I make one?

any help getting this set up would be great.

EDIT: Nevermind, I got it to work :] I can finally get going on this now, haha. I just hope my power supply comes in so I don't have to deal with a slow virtual console. Haha

Thanks a million to everyone so far!

EDIT #2: Okay, I lied. I have the text dumped...but how do I open it? o.o;;; I don't know what to open it in. It wont show in note/word pad.

16. Shyvnal

Member Shyvnal GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    I use emeditor

17. CPhantom
    OP

United States
    It seems to be acting up on me. When I open the dumped text it appears as lines of numbers and text like ($##). I assume that this is the hex or something, correct? However, shouldn't it be dumped text and not something like this? I mean it is a lot of those lines >.>;

18. HernanZh

Netherlands
    What did you use to dump the text? Sounds to me like you didn't use a correct table. (you need a shift-JIS table)

19. CPhantom
    OP

United States
    Well, it did dump the text, but it dumped a ton of stuff along with it >.>;

here is what I mean -

[​IMG]

if I'm using the wrong table, does anyone have a correct table up on the site or something?

20. HernanZh

Netherlands
    Oh, don't worry. That looks about correct. The ($##) are indeed hexidecimal values (bytes).
    Your biggest problem would be, what the heck all those bytes between the text mean.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.