Hacking Onyx or Coral Pink

Which of the new colors are you getting (if any)???

• Onyx

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Coral Pink

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

tama_mog

Kupo
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
tama mog, If you know more on the white plastic vs. black plastic issue, I would love to know, especially because I remember someone saying that they learned in engineering or something that black plastic is inherently much stronger than white plastic.

Actually, it sounds like total bs to me...the whole white vs black plastic issue. In my opinion it's the actual manufacturing. There's a reason why all those cracked ds lites all registered in the United States (ok, 99% of them, I think 1 guy said he had a navy blue one). If you notice the Japanese DS Lites cost more as well....hmmmm, why would people ever buy one these then if they can get the same thing in the US for about $20 cheaper (direct yen conversation difference). Sure it can be due to the differences in Japan vs US market but from what I've seen and what I personally experienced (I've bought 5 Japanese DS Lites and I have never seen any problems with any of them thus far....no cracking, no yellowing, no weird d-pad, no shifty touchscreen....etc etc etc). This tells me there is some manufacturing process that is inherently different and causing these quality issues. Now this is all conjecture of course, but then so's every other theory of why certain DS's crack and certain ones don't. I just go by statistics and by what I know about the Japanese market, it's heavily catered toward consumers and that's why all the products are so pretty and nice and so pleasing to have (If you've been to Japan, you would know exactly what I'm speaking of). If DS lites cracking was a big issue in Japan (which it isn't, Japanese people has never even heard of this issue much less experienced it....and these people beat on these toys all day in the train, car, school whatever) , Nintendo would take a huge hit because it would lose a big chunk of their customers. Japanese people expect quality even from little UFO Gacha-gacha's that you pay $1 for (100 yen). You trying to say black vs white plastic of the same material makes a difference in strength is a weak argument to justify exchanging you a black ds.....that just doesn't fly. In fact, I don't see Nintendo having any obligations to replace it with a black one @ all....hell if they replace it with a new white one that's already going above and beyond in service....don't push your luck. I work with plastics all the time and look @ technical data consistently....I do not ever recalling in any instance where the same type of plastic displays different strength yields due to color. That's just ridiculous.

Orc

‎(ღ˘⌣˘ღ)
Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
Hong Kong
I can testify to that too since I've experienced it first hand too (well not really first hand since the US DS lite isn't mine). Out of 6 Japanese DS lites, cracks = 0. The pink one had a stuck pixel but it went away for some reason (it was there when I got it). My friend's US lite cracked in a week. :/

And yes even here in the Philippines, the US version is way cheaper than Japanese DS lites.

ceraphis

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I really have no idea either way about whether black or white plastic is stronger or if they are the same strength, and you make a very convincing argument that they are the same. I suppose that the reason why I was accepting what I heard as truth, although color is hard to accept as a factor in plastic strength, is that I have white and black G6 lite cases, and under normal use the white one's screw hole got shredded enough to not really hold the screw anymore. The black screw hole, on the other hand, is still as strong and unshredded as when it came into my possession. I stress that this was under normal use for both the black and white cases, because I was frequently switching them back and forth just because I could.

tama_mog

Kupo
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I really have no idea either way about whether black or white plastic is stronger or if they are the same strength, and you make a very convincing argument that they are the same. I suppose that the reason why I was accepting what I heard as truth, although color is hard to accept as a factor in plastic strength, is that I have white and black G6 lite cases, and under normal use the white one's screw hole got shredded enough to not really hold the screw anymore. The black screw hole, on the other hand, is still as strong and unshredded as when it came into my possession. I stress that this was under normal use for both the black and white cases, because I was frequently switching them back and forth just because I could.

That's very interesting.....but there are many factors to consider here. The g6 lite cases are not of the same quality/material compared to the material Nintendo employs on the ds lites. Also, I've noticed on both orders of g6 lites that has come in to me something weird.....also happened to the m3 lite order I got in. The cases all look like they've been handled and used. I see finger print smudge marks and slight scuffs on all of them....nothing detrimental but obviously they've been through some use. So perhaps in your case you can't say how much use one case got used over another....just under your ownership. But I assert that the assumption that color makes a difference on strength of plastic is pure bs.

iza

gbatemp, the new crack
OP
Trophies
Website
myspace.com
XP
Country
United States
I second that notion. The only way for plastic to be either stonger or weaker is some kind of additive or manufacturing differences.

ceraphis

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I went to gamestop today after getting the product replacement plan for my white DSL, and my whitie had a hinge crack. They had two onyxes left and before I could even ask he told me I could have a new color if I wanted. Now happily playing around with my onyx woohoo!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Thank you based Dinoh.