Onslaught of PSP questions

Discussion in 'PSP - Games & Content' started by Midna, Oct 25, 2008.

Oct 25, 2008

Onslaught of PSP questions by Midna at 7:46 AM (1,581 Views / 0 Likes) 17 replies

1. Midna
    OP

Banned Midna Banned

Albania
    I'm considering buying a PSP slim (And hacking it, of course), and I was wondering which memory card is most suted to being used for, ahem, Backed up PSP and PSX games and homebrew in general. is speed an issue? how big are the games? will 2 gigs do, or will 4, 8 or even 16 gigabytes be necessary? Also, how hard is it really to make a pandora's battery and have the battery work again? Would I be better off buying a pre made pandora's battery? Also, if you send me links to sites to order from, take note of my location first.

I hate to ask so many questions at once, so thanks to those who answer.

2. PikaPika

Member PikaPika GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    I use a MicroSD to MSPD adapter from DX, and I don't see why people say they have speed issues really. It runs faster than off a UMD, which is fast enough IMO. And for capacity, I have a 4GB MicroSD, with 5 ISOs, 20 albums, and an assload of pics (I like to change my wallpaper a lot lol), and I still have 250MB free. The ISOs I have are a bit small though, averaging like 200MB, so if you want to keep multiple large games like MGS:PO and GoW:CoO, I'd suggest an 8GB card.

BTW, your sig scared the hell outta me lol.

3. Raika

Member Raika uguu

Antarctica
    8gb should be enough, but i you want A LOT of 'backup games' or if the games you want are too large in size, maybe 16gb. But stick with 8gb cos 4gb is not that sufficient [​IMG]

4. Midna
    OP

Banned Midna Banned

Albania
    Are there any brands that are slower than others, or are they all the same?

5. g4med4d

Member g4med4d GBAtemp Regular

United States
    This is what I had recently bought link. This is probably more reliable than buying it off DX which I almost did btw.

It seems slower than an actual MS Pro Duo but still faster than running off a UDM.

6. Glacius0

Member Glacius0 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Netherlands
    Why not buy a cheap 8 gb card off of DX: http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.12796
    It's actually cheaper than a microSD + adapter. However if you're planning to use the card for other stuff then microSD may be better. I have no clue about speeds.

7. Midna
    OP

Banned Midna Banned

Albania
    DX sells nothing but fakes. and fakes give worse speeds. But as the that newegg link, that is a steal! 20 Canadian for a 4 gig class 6 micro SD vs 40 bucks for a 4 gig mem pro duo.

Also, how does speed affect the PSP's performance? will ISOs run slow on a slow card, or will the load time just be up?

8. Alerek

Member Alerek GBAtemp Fan

United States
    as far as the battery is concerned, I bricked my old PSP and was able to follow a guide online to make the pandora battery...not tough at all, and as long as your VERY CAREFUL you can minimize the headache of transforming it back....but I'd bank on having to buy a spare battery just in case.

9. Midna
    OP

Banned Midna Banned

Albania
    Well, I think I'll try to pandoraize my normal battery and get a spare if things go awry.

10. War

Member War Take it easy~

Japan
    -If I were you, I'd buy at least a 4Gb card. 2Gb is the absolute minimum, since games such as Crisis Core and GoW are over 1Gb. I recommend a 4Gb or an 8Gb if you want 4~6 games, maybe some PSX games, etc.
    -I don't really know what you mean by "is speed an issue". I've never bought a fake memory stick, but as far as I know, even fakes aren't that bad. It's just gonna take a while to get the games on the stick, and maybe you'll have to wait a bit more during loading screens. Personally, I don't find that to be a big deal... but then again, that's just me.
    -The games vary in size. (Both PSX and PSP) They can be as small as 100Mb and as big as almost 2Gb. It really depends on the game, how graphic intensive it is, how many cutscenes are in it, etc. Usually, the most popular games are the biggest ones.
    -Like I mentioned before, 2Gb's would be the absolute minimum. But trust me, later on, you're gonna want at least 4Gb's.
    -It's not very hard to make a Pandora Battery. However, to MAKE your own, you're either gonna have to hard mod a Slim battery, or softmod any battery (Slim or Phat) with the use of a PSP which is already hacked. This means that you're gonna have to borrow a pre-hacked PSP from a friend, relative, whatever.
    -Honestly, I would just buy the Pandora Battery. It all depends on certain factors: Do you know someone with a hacked PSP that is willing to let you borrow it? If so, then the best thing would be to make your own battery. If you DON'T know anyone with a hacked PSP, then the best solution is to but a Pandora Battery. If you were to hardmod a Slim Battery to turn it into a Pandora, the battery itself would cost you over 30 bucks. A Datel Tool Battery, AKA official Pandora, probably costs you 20 bucks.

Hope that helps. If you have any other questions, feel free to PM me or just reply here.

11. gizmo_gal

Member gizmo_gal QWEEN of the RadioActive Force!!!

United States
    Uhm...no they dont. Dont make out-there statements.

I bought a DSTT from them several months ago and it was genuine I've yet to have a single problem out of it.

Loads of people bought things from DealExtreme and I dont know of any/many of them having any problems with the merchandise itself, thought some people complain their shipping takes a long time to reach them.

12. Tikker

Member Tikker GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    You're missing his point

the Sony Memstick pro duo's they sell ARE fakes

they are slower than the real sony cards, BUT they are fast enough

I've been using one for months now, and it's slower than dirt to load stuff onto initially, but it playback is just fine

13. Midna
    OP

Banned Midna Banned

Albania
    Thank you, guys. You've been a lot of help. I think I'll go for a third party 8 gig mem pro duo. Any problems with that?

14. War

Member War Take it easy~

Japan
    Sounds like an excellent idea. You should be quite happy with 8Gigs, unless you're like me and you just HAVE to have like 17 games in memory cards out and ready to be played, lol. Don't get me wrong though, you can fit a LOT in 8Gigs. I have 2 4Gig cards, and I have almost 10 PSP games, themes, some music, and 3 PSX games.

15. Originality

Member Originality Chibi-neko

United Kingdom
    First things first - there are fakes, and then there are OEM (Original Equipment Manufactures). OEM, such as what DX provides, works, but not at the best quality (hence being slow on benchmarks). Fakes are around 70% likely NOT to work. I had a fake SanDisk 4GB MS come with my PSP. Within 4 minutes, any ISO or CSO I played (didn't make a difference) lost all music. Within 5 minutes from starting the game, they would crash and I would have to hard-reset the PSP and take out the MS to make it even boot into the XMB (menu). In short, avoid fakes, and get the real deal.

The fastest 3 cards are 4GB SanDisk UltraII, SanDisk ExtremeIII (expensive), and Lexar PlatinumII. You can also get a Photofast that some gbatempers have been talking about, and it seems to read slower but write much faster than MS cards, using 2 SD cards instead. 8GB cards are slower, but not by much - having double capacity makes it worth it. M2/MicroSDHC adapters also work without being THAT much slower, but the problem with such small media is the reduced lifespan.

The issue of speed is simple - loading times. The faster the card, the faster the save, and the less time waiting for new areas to load up. It's a matter of seconds, however no matter what type of card you use (so long as it's not fake), it'll be faster than UMD, period. On the other hand, slow memory cards and compressed images can cause problems with cinematic playback (like Tales of the World opening). After that, you just need to think about how much space you want, and how much money you want to spend on that space.

Personally, my 4GB SanDisk UltraII stores 7 PSP games, 5 PSX games, 3 albums, a few pictures, 30 SNES games, 8 N64 games, and still has another 300MB remaining. I just take games off the MS when I get bored of them - it never gives me problems unless I play one of those huge games. FF9 for instance, can be as big as 2GB. PSP games can be anything from 100MB to 1GB. It's all dependent on the image size, since compression doesn't help as much as I wish it to, but doesn't slow down games either.

Pandora Battery... if you have a friend with a hacked PSP, then use their battery (very easy to set up - follow a softmod guide - it'll also include instructions on how to revert it). If you don't, buy it. It's cheap, it works, even from DX, and it's useful if you ever brick your PSP - you can fix it in a couple minutes. If you do buy it though, you might want to buy a small 64-512MB MS cheaply, just to keep as a permanent Magic Memory Stick. Doesn't hurt.

If I've got anything above wrong, please correct me, but hopefully all this helps.

16. Midna
    OP

Banned Midna Banned

Albania
    Well, thanks. I'm the kind of guyt who likes to get the very best, so you've convinced me to get a lexar platinum II 8gb

17. nutta_nic

Member nutta_nic GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    if yur moddng your psp with your new mem card to make a magic memory stick (MMS) it has to be magicgate supported and fake cards are never magicgate supported, oh and btw THE NEWER SLIM MODELS ARE NOT MODDABLE..IF YOU HAVE A TA-088 MOBO THEN YOU CAN NOT MOD YOUR PSP. THERE IS NO WAY TO TELL IN THE SHOP EITHER SO BUY AN OLDER ONE

18. Midna
    OP

Banned Midna Banned

Albania
    Umm, thanks for all the capitals. I already know all that, so I'm buying used. Thank you anyway, though.