Hardware Only the PWR button, home button, and cpad works.

Lemondemonforever

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Nothing else works, (except for zl and zr buttons) I can't even start anything, start and select works when booting up into luma or fastboot3DS, so my 3ds is pretty much "button bricked" if that's what you wanna call it, my only option I can think of is formatting and re-homebrewing, this is my LUMA version:10.2.1:config:enabled 'Enable loading external FIRMs and modules' 'Enable game patching' 'Show NAND or user string in System Settings' 'Show GBA boot screen in patched AGB_FIRM' 'Disable Arm11 exception handlers' 'Enable Rosalina on SAFE_FIRM':disabled 'Set developer UNITINFO'. this is the sd card root:
1632708535441.png
1632708620866.png
1632708633983.png

Lemondemonforever

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Edit cause I'm too lazy to edit the actual post: The cpad can move the cursor around on the 3ds menu. The touchscreen doesn't work either.

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
my only option I can think of is formatting and re-homebrewing
You know that formatting doesn't remove CFW and usually doesn't solve anything, right? Also, holy cow, you've got a lot of stuff on that SD card.

Anyway, did this problem suddenly occur out of nowhere one day, or did you change something immediately before you noticed it? Could it be some sort of hardware failure?

Also, does the problem go away if you remove the SD card?

Reactions: KleinesSinchen

Lemondemonforever

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
You know that formatting doesn't remove CFW and usually doesn't solve anything, right? Also, holy cow, you've got a lot of stuff on that SD card.

Anyway, did this problem suddenly occur out of nowhere one day, or did you change something immediately before you noticed it? Could it be some sort of hardware failure?

Also, does the problem go away if you remove the SD card?
It happened when I was playing Tomadachi life (yes I'm a pirate) and I went to shut the lid, when I opened it back up, no buttons worked, so I went to home, no buttons worked, Lemme try no SD.

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
3DS Home Menu will not accept most (button) input if the touchscreen is constantly pressed. Could be:
  • Dirt between the frame and the touch panel → Clean with a soft brush or similar. Don't use metal objects!
  • Defective touch panel sending "ghost input" → Replace touch panel (Disconnecting is enough to have the 3DS work again without any touch functionality).

Can you access GodMode9 with (Start) on power on? If so, do the buttons work there? That would rule out major hardware problems beyond the touchscreen.

[…]my only option I can think of is formatting and re-homebrewing, […]
Some day I will start banging my head against concrete walls when continuously having to read: "X does not work, so I thought I'd delete everything." Sacrificing your data will not repair software damage. Throwing away all tools for troubleshooting (uninstall custom firmware) isn't really helpful either.

Good luck and have fun!

Lemondemonforever

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
3DS Home Menu will not accept most (button) input if the touchscreen is constantly pressed. Could be:
  • Dirt between the frame and the touch panel → Clean with a soft brush or similar. Don't use metal objects!
  • Defective touch panel sending "ghost input" → Replace touch panel (Disconnecting is enough to have the 3DS work again without any touch functionality).

Can you access GodMode9 with (Start) on power on? If so, do the buttons work there? That would rule out major hardware problems beyond the touchscreen.

Some day I will start banging my head against concrete walls when continuously having to read: "X does not work, so I thought I'd delete everything." Sacrificing your data will not repair software damage. Throwing away all tools for troubleshooting (uninstall custom firmware) isn't really helpful either.

Good luck and have fun!
Yes the buttons work on luma and gm9, no I don't have a tri-wing or tri-head sdriver, so I can't open it up.

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Yes the buttons work on luma and gm9, no I don't have a tri-wing or tri-head sdriver, so I can't open it up.
In case cleaning the touch panel doesn't help, this only leaves opening the console.

The only model of the 3DS family using triwing screws is the N2DSXL.
All others use – to my knowledge – JIS (similar to, but not the same as Philips screws). The only problem opening those up, is the very bad material quality (easy to strip screws). The metal Nintendo used is very soft and the screws are often pretty tight. Use a fitting screwdriver, preferably JIS as Philips screwdrivers may damage JIS screws. After placing the screwdriver give it a tap from above to make sure the tip is fully inserted into the cross on the screw head.

Lemondemonforever

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
In case cleaning the touch panel doesn't help, this only leaves opening the console.

The only model of the 3DS family using triwing screws is the N2DSXL.
All others use – to my knowledge – JIS (similar to, but not the same as Philips screws). The only problem opening those up, is the very bad material quality (easy to strip screws). The metal Nintendo used is very soft and the screws are often pretty tight. Use a fitting screwdriver, preferably JIS as Philips screwdrivers may damage JIS screws. After placing the screwdriver give it a tap from above to make sure the tip is fully inserted into the cross on the screw head.
Oops, just realized gm9 doesn't load...

...even though everythings in the right place...

...and there's a folder named lost.dir...

AleronIves

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If the buttons work in Luma, it sounds like the previous owner installed button remapping homebrew and disabled all the buttons in software or something like that.

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Yes the buttons work on luma and gm9

Oops, just realized gm9 doesn't load...
So, are you saying it was working before and it isn't working now? If so, what did you change?

...and there's a folder named lost.dir...
That folder gets created by Windows (or was it Android?) when the filesystem gets corrupted and files get "lost".

If the buttons work in Luma, it sounds like the previous owner installed button remapping homebrew and disabled all the buttons in software or something like that.
I was thinking that might be a possibility, but in that case it should work if the SD card removed. And it also wouldn't randomly crop up while playing Tomadachi Life.

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Since your main SD seems to be corrupted. Prepare another FAT32 formatted SD with Luma3DS and GodMode9. Please run the full test with F3, F3XSwift or h2testw on the empty SD before trusting it.
SD:/boot.3dsx
SD:/boot.firm
SD:/gm9/*
(simply copy the folder from GodMode9 release)
SD:/luma/payloads/GodMode9.firm

Test if Luma3DS settings and GodMode9 work normally with the spare SD. Latest GodMode9 can be used to test the touchscreen as well. Press (⌂Home) and navigate to touchscreen calibration (has nothing to do with the calibration in the official settings)
GodMode_Screenshot1.png
GodMode_Screenshot2.png
GodMode_Screenshot3.png

To test the full functionality of the touchscreen use the easteregg Paint9. Hold (R) and press (⌂Home) to get a new joke option "Brick my 3DS". This option will – of course – NOT do any harm and will certainly not brick the device. But it will load a small paint application that is perfect for touchscreen testing.

GodMode_Screenshot4.png
GodMode_Screenshot5.png

Reactions: jeffyTheHomebrewer

b_o_b

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I had the exact same issue as When_the_imposter_is_sus except the problem happened on an hacked old 2ds. I tried the steps kleinessinchen said above but the problems still remains when i boot into the official 3ds firmware. I also realised that all my buttons including the touchscreen works when I boot homebrew apps, the Luma configaration screen or GodMode9 meaning there is nothing wrong with the hardware. Any other possible solutions?

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I had the exact same issue as When_the_imposter_is_sus except the problem happened on an hacked old 2ds. I tried the steps kleinessinchen said above but the problems still remains when i boot into the official 3ds firmware. I also realised that all my buttons including the touchscreen works when I boot homebrew apps, the Luma configaration screen or GodMode9 meaning there is nothing wrong with the hardware. Any other possible solutions?
Sorry, no other ideas If the problem persists after disconnecting the touch panel.

Lemondemonforever

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
IT IS NOT A SOFTWARE ISSUE!! IT IS IN THE HARDWARE CATEGORY. I figured out why it's doing this, it all makes sense now. A few days ago I accidently dropped it. THEN the buttons, everything, stopped working. GM9 and LUMA do not work. Sometimes I get mercy minutes and get to use my 3ds.

b_o_b

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
IT IS NOT A SOFTWARE ISSUE!! IT IS IN THE HARDWARE CATEGORY. I figured out why it's doing this, it all makes sense now. A few days ago I accidently dropped it. THEN the buttons, everything, stopped working. GM9 and LUMA do not work. Sometimes I get mercy minutes and get to use my 3ds.
O, seems like my issue is different then. Sorry didn't notice it was in the hardware category.

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
It happened when I was playing Tomadachi life (yes I'm a pirate) and I went to shut the lid
A few days ago I accidently dropped it. THEN the buttons, everything, stopped working.
Yes the buttons work on luma and gm9
GM9 and LUMA do not work.
Well, thanks for the ride. :-/

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/WOppJ92RgGU?si=KE79L6A_3jESsGQM