only in china? enough said. LMAO.

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by shortz1994, May 27, 2011.

May 27, 2011
  1. shortz1994
    OP

Member shortz1994 GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    Report: Chinese prisoners forced to play online games for guards.
    by: Chris Morris

World of Warcraft
    Blizzard Entertainment When U.S. prisoners journey beyond their prison walls, it's usually because they've been assigned to a roadside cleanup crew. In China, they head to World of Warcraft.
    In addition to the physical labor he was required to perform during the day, a former inmate at the Jixi labour camp in northeast China is alleging he -- and 300 fellow prisoners -- were forced to play online games at night, raising credits and finding loot that prison guards then resold for real-world money, reports The Guardian.
    "Prison bosses made more money forcing inmates to play games than they do forcing people to do manual labor," said the 54 year-old Liu Dali (a name changed to keep him anonymous), a former guard-turned prisoner."There were 300 prisoners forced to play games. We worked 12-hour shifts in the camp. I heard them say they could earn 5,000-6,000 rmb [$770-$924] a day. We didn't see any of the money. The computers were never turned off."
    While playing online games might sound like a fun way to make prison time pass quicker -- even if someone else reaps the financial rewards -- the former prisoner who spoke to the Guardian say it was anything but.
    He was required to play after a backbreaking day's work that included smashing rocks in a coal mine and hand carving chopsticks and toothpicks. And if he failed to meet his quota in the online game, he says, he was punished physically, sometimes being beaten with plastic pipes.
    The act of incessantly grinding tasks in an online game simply to acquire tradable funds - colloquially called ‘gold farming' - is a very real problem in MMOs, and China is often pointed to as the capital of the practice. The country reportedly traded more than $2 billion worth of virtual currency in 2008 and the number is on the rise. Over 100,000 full-time gold farmers are thought to be based in China.
    While technically banned in most games, gold farming has survived and thrived, mainly due to players who don't have (or want to spend) the necessary free time to acquire the loot. Because it generally takes place outside of the game universe, publishers haven't had much luck shutting down the operations.
    And with over 11 million subscribers playing WoW - and millions more playing other MMOs - there's always an audience looking for a shortcut.

Source

2. Zerousen

Member Zerousen 【=◈︿◈=】

United States
    Lol, that's not a bad idea. People like me won't need to suffer entirely. [​IMG] Though the beating doesn't sound like something I'd enjoy.

3. Crystal the Glaceon

Member Crystal the Glaceon GBAtemp Inkling™ Squishies~

Antarctica
    Well now that sounds rough

4. shortz1994
    OP

Member shortz1994 GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    though it's not funny it happen to the prisoners, china is hell compared to here (usa) prison system. they make them work. here you can go to school, off our taxes.

5. Zeroneo

Member Zeroneo GBAtemp Fan

Portugal
    Forced to play for 12 hours and getting beaten up if I don't play enough? No thanks...

6. Hop2089

Member Hop2089 Cute>Hot

United States
    +Playing MMOs for 12 hrs

-Beaten like slave if I don't meet quota

Conclusion: No

7. doyama

Member doyama GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    I can give you a LAUNDRY LIST of things that happen "Only in China" It really depends on how depressed you want to be today [​IMG]

Feel free to pick from the following categories. I can give links if you want but I'm being a tad lazy today

Food Supply Poisoning
    1) Soy sauce from hair
    2) Using road salt as table salt
    3) Making BBQ pork buns from cardboard dipped in pig fat
    4) Making beef/chicken flavored pork using 'random chemicals'
    5) Making wine using 'random chemicals'
    6) Name the Milk Scandal of the month!

Police brutality/corruption
    1) The police cremate bodies of those victims that are 'inconvenient' if anyone actually looked at them
    2) Odd how a guy who falls off a building in an apparent 'suicide' had his testicles crushed. And that's a pretty eloquent suicide letter from an man who cannot read or write Chinese....

Political corruption
    1) NJ has nothing on the Chinese, who have koi ponds filled with MILLIONS of dollars in money wrapped in plastic wrap like a mountain of cocaine
    2) The entire 'ghost town' phenomenon of building up malls and condos and somehow ending up with a less than 10% occupancy rate. but hey! I already made my money. Oh yeah and all those poor people I had my men beat up so they were forced to move out? Eh I'm rich so I don't care.

Play "Name the State Secret" game
    1) Did your family die in the horrible Sichuan earthquake? That's so sad. Oh you want compensation? Yep we totally have a program for that because we care for our people. How do you apply? Oh that's a State Secret, we can't tell you. have a nice day. (This is why I never gave any money to China for that, literally 0% of any donated money went to anyone on the ground)
    2) Looking for blueprints of all the state schools that collapsed like a house of cards during the Sichuan earthquake. State Secret! Plus we're going to arrest you and make you 'apologise'
    3) Looking for families that lost children in the earthquake? That's a state secret! Oh btw we're going to arrest you for 48 days. Oh wait no we didn't arrest you so that 48 day holding period doesn't actually apply so we're going to hold you even longer. Oh yeah now we figured out what we wanted to do, you're under arrest for tax evasion. Proof? We have no proof because you destroyed it. but we're totally arresting you. (Ai Wei Wei is currently being held under these trumped up charges)

8. Donald Serrot

Member Donald Serrot GBAtemp Fan

United States
    And another reason to not buy gold. In WoW it's getting easier to get too, I get 300g-500g a day just from casually doing dailies and I'm not even hitting the 25 daily limit! Anyone who buys gold or leveling services doesn't know how to play the game and just wants the gold to compensate for their lack of e-peen. Games like WoW are meant to be an enjoyable investment of time, working your way up so once you reach your goal you can look back and say "Yeah, it was worth it".

9. Hop2089

Member Hop2089 Cute>Hot

United States
    Here's a better one

Predict the next day of smog.
    Predict where the next coal plant will be built.

You also forgot polluted mine runoff into the water.

10. Miss Panda

Member Miss Panda GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    Sleep depriving them and beating them up if they fall asleep or stop playing through sheer exhaustion. That counts as torture under international law. Bastards.

11. Tonitonichopchop

Member Tonitonichopchop GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    Just when I though I had heard everything...

12. doyama

United States
    To be honest I'm surprised it took the government this long to get into the gold farming action. Once I heard that 'businesses' were doing it, I figured it was only a matter of time before the government got in on it somehow. Hell you have free labor in jail so it's pure profit.

13. Narayan

Member Narayan desu~

Philippines
    forced to play games. that should be a no. but i didn't know RMT is really a bad thing. it's common here.
    part of my items in an MMO are bought using RMT. i don't have a farmer-type character.

14. doyama

United States
    Now now. As the article indicated they are not 'forced' to do so. Simply.... recommended to sit in front of a computer. They are not beaten, simply given gentle massages via forceful application of hands or wooden implements. All is well. Nothing to see here!

15. Zekrom_cool

Member Zekrom_cool I respect faith, but doubt is what gets you an edu

India
    What a prison! Just forcing to play like jerks makes the prisoners go haywire!

16. nando

Member nando GBAtemp Addict

United States
    am i the only one that did a double take at hand carved toothpicks?

at first i read chopstick and was like, that sounds reasonable but toothpicks!?

17. Ikki

Member Ikki GBATemp's grumpy panda.

Uruguay
    Man, I don't know how they can take it.

18. Narayan

Member Narayan desu~

Philippines
    ah i see.. nothing to complain then..

19. AlanJohn

Member AlanJohn くたばれ

Ukraine
    Wait, they let you play it for free?
    12 hours?
    Non-stop?
    I'm going to China and going to jail right know!
    [​IMG]

20. Narayan

Member Narayan desu~

Philippines
    if you're lucky you'd get to meet Costello too.