• Likes 6

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
What is with this passive agressive bullshit? Am I offending you somehow by telling you what I plan to do? Jesus christ. I didn't know there was a certain way you had to buy a console and it has to be done the FAST6191 way.

I just explained how the things I sold were of little use to me and you somehow think it's better to save the money? I have over $20,000 in my bank account, it's not about the money. I feel I'm moving over to PS5 in an easy way by selling things I don't need. I don't know why you would even care one bit I guess you're doing some thing where you encourage people to wait years to buy it? Weird as hell. You're a weird person.

Get your do it FAST6191's way or else crap outta here.
I am basically impossible to offend.

I just find the vitriol directed at people that would resell a luxury device rather amusing, especially when even if it were some kind of ethical/moral failing (and I can't even fathom how it would be) then it is the company making the thing that is 5000% more responsible for the situation.

If the removal of items and their use potential works for you then fantastic. If you want to pay out of pocket for the many times retail prices on ebay then fantastic. If you want to wait a few years for some games to actually come out on it then fantastic. If you want to pay RRP for something then fantastic as everybody holding back so the market crashes is probably impractical so guess there has to be someone to start the second hand market and take the pain of first gen hardware.

D

Deleted User

OP
I'm convinced I'm having a conversation with a bot. Well I should say, I was.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I don't know how any human being can order a PS5 from walmart.com. Second time I was able to add the system to my cart, but it just loads eternally when trying to click on said cart.

Shadow#1

Wii, 3DS Softmod & Dumpster Diving Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm convinced I'm having a conversation with a bot. Well I should say, I was.

I don't know how any human being can order a PS5 from walmart.com. Second time I was able to add the system to my cart, but it just loads eternally when trying to click on said cart.
Bots beat u too it again [emoji14]

Reactions: Nobody_Important4u
D

Deleted User

OP
What did fast say that even slightly suggested he was a bot?

Again take your liberalism elsewhere this thread is about PS5.

When someone is trying to tell another person how they should spend their money that's wrong. I don't give a shit if you burn your money that's up to you. But on the same token no one is going to tell me what to do with mine. That's insanity and he has some mental issue where he goes around worrying about what other people does I've seen it many times with him. It's really a sickness and I'm not going to tolerate it. I did nothing wrong by stating how I'm going to buy a console and I think all of this is stemming from another thread and you all know what I'm talking about. I don't care if you don't like my political point of view I'm not going to take being bullied in a thread that has nothing to do with politics.

How dare I sell something that I bought with my own money to buy something else. That's illegal in his little world.

Last edited by ,

Shadow#1

Wii, 3DS Softmod & Dumpster Diving Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Again take your liberalism elsewhere this thread is about PS5.

When someone is trying to tell another person how they should spend their money that's wrong. I don't give a shit if you burn your money that's up to you. But on the same token no one is going to tell me what to do with mine. That's insanity and he has some mental issue where he goes around worrying about what other people does I've seen it many times with him.
No one said anything "liberalism" here yet

Reactions: Julie_Pilgrim

Julie_Pilgrim

Secretly three raccoons in a trench coat
Trophies
Website
zoey-on-github.github.io
XP
Country
United States
I don't care if you don't like my political point of view I'm not going to take being bullied in a thread that has nothing to do with politics.
Bro you’re the one calling people liberals lmao

Also, you didn’t answer my question, how do any of those things make him a bot

Julie_Pilgrim

Secretly three raccoons in a trench coat
Trophies
Website
zoey-on-github.github.io
XP
Country
United States
I don't have conversations with 13 year olds it's a waste of my time. Had I known earlier I wouldn't have said anything to you. Ignored.
Love how you dodged all of my questions and then brought my age into this lmaooo

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Love how you dodged all of my questions and then brought my age into this lmaooo
The guy can't hold a conversation without steering off on to some side road with irrelevant topics and points. You're not missing much.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, both are to blame, Sony doesn't know how to launch a console worth a damn anyway.

I don't have conversations with 13 year olds it's a waste of my time. Had I known earlier I wouldn't have said anything to you. Ignored.

Sheesh, who lit the fuse on your tampon?

Last edited by the_randomizer,
D

Deleted User

OP
I am basically impossible to offend.

I just find the vitriol directed at people that would resell a luxury device rather amusing, especially when even if it were some kind of ethical/moral failing (and I can't even fathom how it would be) then it is the company making the thing that is 5000% more responsible for the situation.

If the removal of items and their use potential works for you then fantastic. If you want to pay out of pocket for the many times retail prices on ebay then fantastic. If you want to wait a few years for some games to actually come out on it then fantastic. If you want to pay RRP for something then fantastic as everybody holding back so the market crashes is probably impractical so guess there has to be someone to start the second hand market and take the pain of first gen hardware.
I think that on a moral level scalping video game merchandise is generally wrong. It's a minor wrong because they're a luxury product as you say. The situation also needs to be taken into account:

Scalping launch PS5's is wrong. It's a minor wrong given that they will be produced for at least several years and it's wise to not buy a launch unit anyway. I will give Sony the benefit of the doubt because they probably want to but can't manufacture enough units to meet the demand at launch.

Scalping limited edition products produced in a limited quantity is a slightly bigger wrong. Take the Super Mario Bros. Game and Watch for instance. Whenever a store has pre-orders open, they sell out in minutes or hours. Scalpers obstruct legitimate buyers from getting the product at the RRP. Nintendo definitely shares the blame for not producing enough units.

Scalping from stores which provide a certain timeframe where buyers can pre-order unlimited copies before the product is manufactured is ok. If a scalper wants to buy stock from Limited Run Games or Kickstarter projects then they can go right on ahead.

Consumers shouldn't have to act immediately or have a Raspberry Pi constantly running a web scraping script to buy a product at the RRP.
Either your internet fucked up at the wrong time or a bot beat you too it as was already suggested.
Scalpers create artificial supply & demand. Which is not real supply and demand.
This is a theory of mine with no evidence to support it. Nintendo purposely produced the Super Mario Bros. Game and Watch and Fire Emblem 30th Anniversary Edition in excessively limited quantities. They would face backlash for setting the RRP to a scalper price but they face less backlash for manufacturing too few units. Their goal is to make their products appear more valuable by only having them available at unreasonably high prices.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Re liberalism (at least as it is known in the US)
I do find it amusing that those advocating for a laissez faire approach to capitalism (anything but a left wing position most of the time these days) are being accused of such things.
Almost as though it is a snarl world designed to forestall thought.

Moreover if telling someone how to spend their money is wrong (not sure that it is but we will roll with it) then is agreeing with the premise of the thread, that being only a "fucking idiot" would pay scalper prices not being prescriptive as far as someone spending their own money?

I think that on a moral level scalping video game merchandise is generally wrong. It's a minor wrong because they're a luxury product as you say. The situation also needs to be taken into account:

Scalping launch PS5's is wrong. It's a minor wrong given that they will be produced for at least several years and it's wise to not buy a launch unit anyway. I will give Sony the benefit of the doubt because they probably want to but can't manufacture enough units to meet the demand at launch.

Scalping limited edition products produced in a limited quantity is a slightly bigger wrong. Take the Super Mario Bros. Game and Watch for instance. Whenever a store has pre-orders open, they sell out in minutes or hours. Scalpers obstruct legitimate buyers from getting the product at the RRP. Nintendo definitely shares the blame for not producing enough units.

Scalping from stores which provide a certain timeframe where buyers can pre-order unlimited copies before the product is manufactured is ok. If a scalper wants to buy stock from Limited Run Games or Kickstarter projects then they can go right on ahead.

Consumers shouldn't have to act immediately or have a Raspberry Pi constantly running a web scraping script to buy a product at the RRP.

Either your internet fucked up at the wrong time or a bot beat you too it as was already suggested.

This is a theory of mine with no evidence to support it. Nintendo purposely produced the Super Mario Bros. Game and Watch and Fire Emblem 30th Anniversary Edition in excessively limited quantities. They would face backlash for setting the RRP to a scalper price but they face less backlash for manufacturing too few units. Their goal is to make their products appear more valuable by only having them available at unreasonably high prices.

There are plenty of products that fiddle with prices in the second hand market

While they probably won't reach such heights with games there is a dimension of that. See zero people in such topics whining about second hand sales of perfume and watches stealing food from the mouths of perfume and watch devs.

Anyway so you say it is a moral failing but I am not still not sure why. Nor, not that laws=morality, what laws might be being broken or might be the basis for expanding them.

Why should I treat RRP as any kind of sacred cow or thing to be respected? Why are scalpers not legitimate buyers?

As far as capacity. If they wanted to they could. Might have been expensive to scale further or might have had to divert resources from things with a better yield within the same factory. Still not sure why scalpers

Scalpers create artificial supply & demand. Which is not real supply and demand.
If the supply is still the same as it was (maybe even more by dint of people buying them to play or stick under a tree for their crotch fruit will necessarily lower it) and they are asking for and getting prices is it not real? At best they drive up a bit of hype and get someone to want something that might not otherwise have (see video above for why companies might actually want that).
Taking advantage of supply chain inefficiencies and those with a time preference is pretty much one of the definitions of sensible capitalism.

Anyway if people want to check my gumtree and craigslist (ebay are a bunch of cunts) ads they will find I have some PS5s for sale.

Reactions: Julie_Pilgrim

Chary

Never sleeps
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
"I don't talk to children on a gaming forum, ugh! Gross small children talking about video games, meant for MANLY ADULT MATURE MEN HMPH"

JwkjEH5.png

VeeDaVendetta

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am quite familiar with bots

and ebay sniper programs have existed for years. Nothing functionally different here.

As far as "buying something for more than it is worth" then what is something worth? The classic answer is "what someone is willing to pay for it". If you literally have examples of people paying that much for it...

On supply problem. I do recall a fun video of a lady thinking she will be making a packet from a new iphone, except nobody cared and she ended up out of pocket having to sell them off while they sat on shelves. To that end I am back at companies either won't produce enough because cost or because they want shortages because hype or something.

Though I shall ask another.
Under what principle of law or ethics would you see scalping shut down/fined/someone slapped for selling a luxury good at above manufacturer's recommended retail price?
Is anybody going to die or be injured from this? Being a new console it is not like it has any games either so I am not even sure what the "it is nice to have" factor is.

Thats fallacy...if the scalpers buy up all the stock...they are effectively creating the issue themselves...its a circle of nonsense...if scalper bots buy uo all the stock...they are creating the situation where the item is hard to find...ur argument is nonsense...amd ur clearly a scalper tryin to defend urself. Its literal common sense ..if i buy up all the stock just to resell...how is anybody ganna get one for themselves? For theyre kids? U think thats fair? Only a scalper would think that way...thanks for exposing yourself though...i dont care what you say...scalpers are wrong...they need to be punished...funny congress seems to agree 🤦🤣💯

VeeDaVendetta

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am quite familiar with bots

and ebay sniper programs have existed for years. Nothing functionally different here.

As far as "buying something for more than it is worth" then what is something worth? The classic answer is "what someone is willing to pay for it". If you literally have examples of people paying that much for it...

On supply problem. I do recall a fun video of a lady thinking she will be making a packet from a new iphone, except nobody cared and she ended up out of pocket having to sell them off while they sat on shelves. To that end I am back at companies either won't produce enough because cost or because they want shortages because hype or something.

Though I shall ask another.
Under what principle of law or ethics would you see scalping shut down/fined/someone slapped for selling a luxury good at above manufacturer's recommended retail price?
Is anybody going to die or be injured from this? Being a new console it is not like it has any games either so I am not even sure what the "it is nice to have" factor is.

Whe scalpers buy up all the stock they create the demand themselves...stop defending scalpers bc ur guilty of it ..when millions of kids wont have a console bc of the greed of others...its bad...if i buy out a stores whole stock whats left for others? Im literally creating a situation where the item is rarer than it has to be...thats the equivalent of you going to get ice cream with ur family...and someone before u buys all the ice cream up and turns to u and says ill sell it to u for 7 times the amount...its literally the same...dont say it doesnt harm anybody ..it harms EVERYBODY..this isnt about the logic...this is about greed and a lack of care...to make shit sold out is creating a problem...dont try to justify scalping...its cringe and any argument against it is stupid

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

eof

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: Imma make quesadillas for lunch :D +1