• Thread starter Deleted User
  • Start date
  • Views 8,558
  • Replies 50
  • Likes 6
D

Deleted User

OP
The PS5 isn't a limited edition product but scalpers are selling them for over $1000 AUD on eBay. The RRP for the digital edition is $600 AUD and the RRP for the disk edition is $750 AUD. Unless you really, really want a PS5 by Christmas or a launch unit for hacking, why bother? It's not a limited edition product. Launch units are most likely to contain hardware issues and there are less games available at launch.

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
The biggest problem I have with people buying from scalpers is that it only encourages scalping.

If people didn't buy scalped GPUs, consoles, etc. It could make things easier for those who 'legitimately' want one.

That said, once had an argument with someone on this site because apparently it's wrong to dislike scalpers.

tfocosta

GBAtemp Z-Warrior
Trophies
Website
nooooooooooooooo.com
XP
Country
Canada
People that buy anything from scalpers are desperate to shove it in the faces of people that don't. And the funniest thing about all this is that people that don't buy from scalpers don't give a sh*t about those who buy. They are patient and will buy their products (in this case consoles, specifically PS5) whenever they can or want. :)

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
That said, once had an argument with someone on this site because apparently it's wrong to dislike scalpers.

Wrong to dislike scalpers or wrong to dislike scalping?

Anyway scalping is a symptom, not a cause of anything. Blame the companies for not meeting/predicting demand, granted they will likely do that anyway as something being sold out generates a bit more demand and press and likely does not really cost them much (especially if money is made in game sales and such).

I don't care either way.
If it bothers you then don't buy it. Did have a shot from a very old book on woodwork around here somewhere that rings true 130 odd years later.
https://gbatemp.net/threads/on-scalping.462741/

Reactions: Mama Looigi

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
Wrong to dislike scalpers or wrong to dislike scalping?

Anyway scalping is a symptom, not a cause of anything. Blame the companies for not meeting/predicting demand, granted they will likely do that anyway as something being sold out generates a bit more demand and press and likely does not really cost them much (especially if money is made in game sales and such).

I don't care either way.
If it bothers you then don't buy it. Did have a shot from a very old book on woodwork around here somewhere that rings true 130 odd years later.
https://gbatemp.net/threads/on-scalping.462741/

I used scalping as a way to describe what the scalpers do, wasn’t sure if it was the correct phrase.

This is a flawed defence because the scalpers still contribute to the supply problem on at least some level, especially these days when bots may be involved.

This is why I also blame people who buy from them, as it just encourages the practice.

Reactions: Kioku
D

Deleted User

OP
I would never buy something for more than it's worth never have never will.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Right after I post this I just got an email from walmart.com that PS5 is about to be back in stock. So it might just be buying one at regular price today.

Edy5iD9.png

Last edited by ,
D

Deleted User

OP
This is total bullshit. It said they would be in stock 6 eastern, I go there 6:00 and they're in stock. Add one to cart, I can't load the page to check out. I go and refresh it and it's removed from my cart and they're out of stock again. I never removed it. Totally unfair I have 5G internet too.

Shadow#1

Wii, 3DS Softmod & Dumpster Diving Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is total bullshit. It said they would be in stock 6 eastern, I go there 6:00 and they're in stock. Add one to cart, I can't load the page to check out. I go and refresh it and it's removed from my cart and they're out of stock again. I never removed it. Totally unfair I have 5G internet too.
Haha u was being a smartass and it bit u in the ass

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
The biggest problem I have with people buying from scalpers is that it only encourages scalping.

If people didn't buy scalped GPUs, consoles, etc. It could make things easier for those who 'legitimately' want one.

Nah, fuck scalpers and fuck anyone who defends them. Waste of space.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
I used scalping as a way to describe what the scalpers do, wasn’t sure if it was the correct phrase.

This is a flawed defence because the scalpers still contribute to the supply problem on at least some level, especially these days when bots may be involved.

This is why I also blame people who buy from them, as it just encourages the practice.

What Fast doesn't realize is that there are script kiddies, botters and groups of people who eat up the stock so they can continue this bullshit practice. Amazon is full of fake companies with technology marked way up.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

I would never buy something for more than it's worth never have never will.
What Fast doesn't realize is that there are script kiddies, botters and groups of people who eat up the stock so they can continue this bullshit practice. Amazon is full of fake companies with technology marked way up.

I am quite familiar with bots

and ebay sniper programs have existed for years. Nothing functionally different here.

As far as "buying something for more than it is worth" then what is something worth? The classic answer is "what someone is willing to pay for it". If you literally have examples of people paying that much for it...

On supply problem. I do recall a fun video of a lady thinking she will be making a packet from a new iphone, except nobody cared and she ended up out of pocket having to sell them off while they sat on shelves. To that end I am back at companies either won't produce enough because cost or because they want shortages because hype or something.

Though I shall ask another.
Under what principle of law or ethics would you see scalping shut down/fined/someone slapped for selling a luxury good at above manufacturer's recommended retail price?
Is anybody going to die or be injured from this? Being a new console it is not like it has any games either so I am not even sure what the "it is nice to have" factor is.

Shadow#1

Wii, 3DS Softmod & Dumpster Diving Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

and ebay sniper programs have existed for years. Nothing functionally different here.

As far as "buying something for more than it is worth" then what is something worth? The classic answer is "what someone is willing to pay for it". If you literally have examples of people paying that much for it...

On supply problem. I do recall a fun video of a lady thinking she will be making a packet from a new iphone, except nobody cared and she ended up out of pocket having to sell them off while they sat on shelves. To that end I am back at companies either won't produce enough because cost or because they want shortages because hype or something.

Under what principle of law or ethics would you see scalping shut down/fined/someone slapped for selling a luxury good at above manufacturer's recommended retail price?
Is anybody going to die or be injured from this? Being a new console it is not like it has any games either so I am not even sure what the "it is nice to have" factor is.
Yep u said it best

D

Deleted User

OP

The generally accepted retail price. PS5s are $499 I'm not paying a dime more. Same for a car or anything else. If everyone adopted this philosophy there'd be no more scalpers. But hey it's their money they can do what they want I'm not overpaying for something. The only logical reason someone would pay more than retail price for a PS5 is being impatient.

I lied when I said I never overpaid though I did buy Panzer Dragoon Saga for $200 although I beat it and sold it for $250. I paid around the same for Earthbound I blanked on those but that was like 12 years ago I would not do that today.

Last edited by ,

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The generally accepted retail price. PS5s are $499 I'm not paying a dime more. Same for a car or anything else. If everyone adopted this philosophy there'd be no more scalpers. But hey it's their money they can do what they want I'm not overpaying for something. The only logical reason someone would pay more than retail price for a PS5 is being impatient.

So why is the "generally accepted retail price" (a term you appear to have just defined) worth paying attention to here?

I would say $499 is overpaying.
Buy one in 6-7 years when the games are going second hand for
nothing, maybe have some hacks, nice late stage models with all the kinks worked out, cheap peripherals (maybe, PS4 controllers these days still seem to be a fortune compared to previous generations). Anybody paying for one this early on is impatient, or maybe wants a status symbol.
If everybody adopted this philosophy console prices would crash further still and we as consumers would be even better off.

Reactions: Julie_Pilgrim
D

Deleted User

OP
So why is the "generally accepted retail price" (a term you appear to have just defined) worth paying attention to here?

I would say $499 is overpaying.
Buy one in 6-7 years when the games are going second hand for
nothing, maybe have some hacks, nice late stage models with all the kinks worked out, cheap peripherals (maybe, PS4 controllers these days still seem to be a fortune compared to previous generations). Anybody paying for one this early on is impatient, or maybe wants a status symbol.
If everybody adopted this philosophy console prices would crash further still and we as consumers would be even better off.

I agree it's overpaying but for PS5 I was able to sell a few games sell a PS4 and an Xbox One to gather the money. I have a gaming PC that willl erase even needing the Xbox One, my PS4 games will work on PS5 so it's like in a way getting it for free IMO or it feels like it even though yes I know I bought those things at one time but it was a long time ago.

I have thought about say waiting a year to buy a game so it's cheaper I may do that or maybe it'll depend on the game I want to support devs of good games.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I agree it's overpaying but for PS5 I was able to sell a few games sell a PS4 and an Xbox One to gather the money. I have a gaming PC that willl erase even needing the Xbox One, my PS4 games will work on PS5 so it's like in a way getting it for free IMO or it feels like it even though yes I know I bought those things at one time but it was a long time ago.

I have thought about say waiting a year to buy a game so it's cheaper I may do that or maybe it'll depend on the game I want to support devs of good games.
So we are dealing with feels over reasoning (you have lost the utility of the PS4, xbone and some games, to say nothing of being able to save up over the next however long instead)? Fair enough.

Reactions: Julie_Pilgrim
D

Deleted User

OP
So we are dealing with feels over reasoning (you have lost the utility of the PS4, xbone and some games, to say nothing of being able to save up over the next however long instead)? Fair enough.

What is with this passive agressive bullshit? Am I offending you somehow by telling you what I plan to do? Jesus christ. I didn't know there was a certain way you had to buy a console and it has to be done the FAST6191 way.

I just explained how the things I sold were of little use to me and you somehow think it's better to save the money? I have over $20,000 in my bank account, it's not about the money. I feel I'm moving over to PS5 in an easy way by selling things I don't need. I don't know why you would even care one bit I guess you're doing some thing where you encourage people to wait years to buy it? Weird as hell. You're a weird person.

Get your do it FAST6191's way or else crap outta here.

Last edited by ,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

eof

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/MddR6PTmGKg?si=mU2EO5hoE7XXSbSr