Hardware Only 32.5KByte lost H2testw 32GB Micro SD - Is my SD really defective?

JonMegaTron

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I ran H2testw on my 32GB Micro SD and received the results in the images attached.
I've seen people lose hundreds of megabytes and even a few gigabytes when they ran H2testw, so I'm not sure whether my SD card is defective as it only lost 32.5 kilobytes.

For some context, I use this SD on my 3ds, and it sometimes crashes, giving an error which corresponds to save data issues (linking to possible problems with the SD card itself)

I would really appreciate if anyone could tell me if my SD is actually corrupt :)

Where I bought the SD:
164089350265 (Just type this number into eBay search bar)

(Don't know if this would help, but I bought a few other SDs from this same eBay page and seller, and they don't give crashes when inserted in my other 3ds')

Thanks in advance! :)

Edit: I ran the quadruple re-format technique before running this test to make sure the SD was correctly formatted :)

Attachments

• Finished1.PNG
    Finished1.PNG
    102.4 KB · Views: 267
  • Finished2.PNG
    Finished2.PNG
    100.7 KB · Views: 350
Last edited by JonMegaTron,

JonMegaTron

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
From the test result doesn't look like the card is legit, never buy sd card on ebay.

What makes you think it isn't legit?
If the SD card had lost enough gigs for it to be left with 4/8/16GB, then I would certainly think so, however it has only has lost 32.5KBytes.
Its not that I don't believe you, I'm just curious why you think its a fake :)

IC_

GBAtemp's ???
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
If the SD card had lost enough gigs for it to be left with 4/8/16GB, then I would certainly think so, however it has only has lost 32.5KBytes.
Probably not a fake card, just a defective card. It still lost 32 kilobytes so it is defective, just like you can have a single bad block on a mechanical hard drive, it can happen sometimes because nothing can be perfect in this world.
The card should be on warranty, you should be able to return it or exchange it for a new one. Make sure you safely backed up all of your important data.

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Pretty much what AmandaRose said, plus you can take take a look at the listing, it is not one of the name brand for SD card.

Screenshot_20201226-112432_eBay.jpg

JonMegaTron

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
@IC_ Thanks for confirming what I thought! :)

The files that were stored on the SD card were all my 3ds files.

Do I:

1. Buy a new micro 32gb sd (I won't buy off eBay this time)
2. Format it into the same format as the faulty SD (fat32)
3. Copy the files from the faulty sd onto the new sd (I made a backup of all the files before I ran H2testw so I would copy the files from my pc)
4. Done?

I think I should create a new thread for this question as it is related to 3ds cfw stuff instead of pc hardware, or should I just leave it at this?

Btw thanks for everyone's replies, I really appreciate it! :)

IC_

GBAtemp's ???
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
@IC_ Thanks for confirming what I thought! :)

The files that were stored on the SD card were all my 3ds files.

Do I:

1. Buy a new micro 32gb sd (I won't buy off eBay this time)
2. Format it into the same format as the faulty SD (fat32)
3. Copy the files from the faulty sd onto the new sd (I made a backup of all the files before I ran H2testw so I would copy the files from my pc)
4. Done?

I think I should create a new thread for this question as it is related to 3ds cfw stuff instead of pc hardware, or should I just leave it at this?

Btw thanks for everyone's replies, I really appreciate it! :)
Yes, you can do that, but run the same h2testw test on the new card between step 2 and 3.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

Recent Content

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3eGAHfC5P-Y