Hacking Only 3 MB free on a half full card?

camintmier

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
WARNING: Your MicroSD is running
low on free space. In order to avoid
potential problems, it is recommended
that you free up some space as soon
as possible.

Current free space: 3 mb
That's the warning message I'm seeing when I turn on my DS. Now, normally I'd go ahead and delete some games to free up some space, but there's a small problem with all this. It's an 8GB sdhc card, and my computer says it's only half full!

Capacity: 7.49GB
Used Space: 3.55GB
Free Space: 3.94GB

So, I'm guessing this isn't normal? I can acknowledge the prompt and still use the CycloDS as I normally would without problems. I'm using firmware 1.53 on a v1.1 black CycloDS. I've tried backing up the data on the card (ctrl+c), reformatting the card to use 4096 byte sectors, then restoring (ctrl+v) and that didn't do anything.

Any help or info is greatly appreciated.

camintmier

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
After some experimentation I think I found a bug in v1.53. If you put close to, but not more than 4 gb data, you'll get the popup message. More than 4gb and no message.

3.55GB = Message
3.78GB = Message
3.96GB = Message
4.20GB = No message

Very odd. I dunno if it's just me, or if it happens to others also. Maybe it's dependent on card capacity or something. Oh well, at least a way was found to fix it. Just dump more data onto the SDHC card
yaynds.gif

Note: v1.51 didn't pop the message up at any data capacity I tested, until I literally had 3MB free.

B

ball2012003

Ericthegreat said:
Could be possibal that 8gb card has 2 4 gb or 4 2 gb chips and the Cyclods only reads the ones in use?
how is that even possible
wacko.gif

wilddenim

Candy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
What OS are your computer?

The same problem happened to me when I used a Mac to delete and add new games. When I took my CycloDS home and used it on my XP and there it is, the hidden folder where the 'deleted' game were.

Sir-Fritz

Trophies
XP
Country
wilddenim said:
What OS are your computer?

The same problem happened to me when I used a Mac to delete and add new games. When I took my CycloDS home and used it on my XP and there it is, the hidden holder where the 'deleted' game were.
I think this also happens on linux.

camintmier

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For me, reformatting, then copying the data back onto my card didn't do a bit of good. The only thing that did work was filling the card more than half way with data. I ended up putting 2 dpg movies (rougly 400MB total) on there, play a game for a little bit, then delete the dpg's off the card, and it works like normal now. I dunno what happened. Maybe it was one of those mythical binary 2's, or maybe cosmic radiation, or my own stupidity that caused it. Just like how many licks it takes to get to the center of a tootsie pop, the world may never know...

kobykaan

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Are all your files in the ROOT folder this maby the issue!

put your games into folders and categorize them into things like SPORTS, PUZZLE,RPG etc etc
smile.gif

if you have too many files in the root folder you will run into low mem issues!

camintmier

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To be honest, there are only 5 files in my root folder. Pretty much everything's in folders.

I've got a roms folder, and there are seperate folders inside of that If I ever get 100 roms in a single folder, I'll create a 2nd folder (example: A, A2, A3, A4)

When the memory error happened, my files were all nice and tidy in their folders.

camintmier

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
damnesiac said:
Is it a genuine memory card? Can ti be filled? Some memory cards won't allow all of it to be used if they're fake.
Yeah, it's a 100% genuine Trancend 8GB Class 6 MicroSDHC card. See this post. They're one of the most reputable companies I've ever dealt with.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    ButterScott101 @ ButterScott101: +1