Only 10k Wiis in Germany?!?

Discussion in 'Wii - Console and Game Discussions' started by Jeda, Nov 27, 2006.

Nov 27, 2006

Only 10k Wiis in Germany?!? by Jeda at 4:25 PM (3,028 Views / 0 Likes) 34 replies

1. Jeda
    OP

Member Jeda GBAtemp Fan

Germany
    So I went to a local media store to ask for a Wii preorders. Got to talk to who was likely the only female employee in the game department [​IMG]

Anyway, she told me they wouldn't take preorders, as there would be only 10000 Wiis for Germany in total. Now I knew we were going to get only few units but 10k sounds really low...

I was told to come early and that they were hoping not to get overrun by too many fans. She said they even considered getting a security for December the 8th. They also didn't know if they would get more units before xmas...

So.. How many Wiis do other European countries get?

2. Helmut

Member Helmut GBAtemp Regular

France
    According to the european nintendo CEO (who was interviewed recently by 01net), there will be 200,000 units for all december accross europe.
    Prepare your tent [​IMG].

3. accolon

Member accolon GBAtemp Regular

Germany
    What local media store? Mediamarkt? You can ask three different employees there and get four different answers. [​IMG]

4. kikapo_O

Newcomer kikapo_O Advanced Member

Malaysia
    I do think so ... I'm not quite sure but 10k aren't very much [​IMG]

5. Jax

Member Jax Pip Pip Cheerioink!

Portugal
    Thank science I've got mine pre-ordered!

Let's see...

Germany - 82 million people - 10,000 Wiis

Portugal - 10 million people - ... oh crap...

6. adgloride

Member adgloride Its A Wii Wario

United Kingdom
    200,000 [​IMG] that isn't many at all. Anyone that manages to get their hands on one of these I bet they sell for loads on ebay with being so close to xmas.

7. wohoo

Member wohoo GBAtemp Fan

Sweden
    omg?! sweden has only about 9 million people... and i heard we're getting 5000 Wii's... and about 15-30/store in my town [​IMG] i hope i pre-ordered in time

8. SD5k

Member SD5k GBAtemp Regular

Netherlands
    I think there will be 10.000 Wiis availabe in The Netherlands, I'm at the first place on the pre-order list of two stores, so no worries here.

9. legendofphil

Member legendofphil Phil no Densetsu

United Kingdom
    Assuming that the figure of 4m worldwide is acurate and 200K/wk plus the launch to america.
    That leaves atleast 2m between Europe and Japan, I highly doubt that Japan are going to get 1.8m consoles in December.
    I expect it will be a roughly even split with 1m in Japan and Europe each.

10. Scorpei

Member Scorpei GBAtemp Maniac

Netherlands
    Crap, vlissingen is zo ver weg voor mij (den bosch) [​IMG]. I've only pre-ordered at one place and I'm 7th in line (so I'm guessing it's gonna be close [​IMG]).

11. ugly_rose

Member ugly_rose GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Sweden
    Umm... I hope this is a joke, but the fact that pre-orders are since long sold out in Sweden makes you wonder [​IMG]

12. MaHe

Member MaHe one lazy schmo

Slovenia
    You should be happy. My own country will receive ... get ready ... only 100 units. Nothing more. :/
    I'm pretty lucky, because only four stores here will have them and I'm only half a mile (1 kilometer) away from one.

13. enarky

Member enarky GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Well, considering that having a brain usually is a big obstacle when you want to work for Media Markt I highly doubt that 10k figure.

Anyways, Germans: please don't buy at Media Markt or Saturn! They try to kill online stores, which are cheaper than they are. Here's a link with more information. And please don't fall for their decoy advertisements. The five items they advertise usually are cheap, but *everything* else they sell is overpriced pos. Stop buying from them!

14. Jeda
    OP

Member Jeda GBAtemp Fan

Germany
    well yes it was Media Markt. The employee did seem to know what she was talking about (at least compared to other people I've met there..). I mean she knew Wii was coming 8th dec. "wtf is the wii" was the expected answer [​IMG]

I agree that smaller stores are cheaper in some cases, but to be honest, I've seen a lot of "scam unaware customers" products in smaller stores recently. Cheap looking basic headset for 30€ anyone? MM had the same for 5€. And in recent times I've usually ended at ebay [​IMG]

I think with the big chains not taking preorders I might as well ask one of the small toy shops in town if they will get a Wii..

15. lookout

Member lookout GBAtemp Board Room

United Kingdom
    UK will be getting more then 10,000

16. lookout

Member lookout GBAtemp Board Room

United Kingdom
    Nintendo has announced that it has 600,000 units of the Nintendo Wii across the Americas in the eight days since launch, making it an instant $190 million business!

17. SpaceJump

Member SpaceJump Where's my new 2D-Metroid?

Germany
    I asked at Karstadt and they too are not taking preorders because of the small amounts of Wiis they will get. Good thing that I preordered at a smaller shop [​IMG]

18. Takeshi

Member Takeshi GBAtemp Addict

Germany
    That doesn't sound too promising. Anyways since I'll have a day off of work on Dec. 8th, I think I can make it there in time and if I don't get one I'll just buy myself a new guitar for christmas. [​IMG]

19. Ben_j

Member Ben_j GBAtemp Advanced Fan

France
    I think France is getting a lot more... But anyways, another good reason to import [​IMG]

20. Takeshi

Member Takeshi GBAtemp Addict

Germany
    Woot! After some calls I made this morning this seems to be the truth. So here's a quick list (of my area):
    --
    Karstadt - none available for free sale (all preordered)
    Saturn - getting 20 pcs.
    Media Markt - don't know, yet (d'uh!)