Only 1000 days left of extended support for Windows XP

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by coolness, Jul 12, 2011.

1. coolness
    OP

Banned coolness PSN: Dutch_DarkLord

Netherlands
    Source

2. Blaze163

Member Blaze163 The White Phoenix's purifying flame.

United Kingdom
    Eh. If I'm still on this piece of shit netbook in 2014 then frankly I've fucked up somewhere. Plenty of time yet.

3. _Chaz_

Member _Chaz_ GBAtemp's Official Mook™

United States
    My thoughts almost exactly.

4. raulpica

Supervisor raulpica With your drill, thrust to the sky!

Italy
    This message is probably directed to Business deployments and large industries.

They're the only ones who need THAT MUCH time to switch over to a new OS entirely.

5. dickfour

Banned dickfour Banned

United States
    I'm not really a Windows fan so why upgrade to another OS that I don't like. I have an old PC running XP and under XP there's a program for all my possible needs. Why update?

6. YetoJesse

Newcomer YetoJesse Advanced Member

Netherlands
    I only use windows xp for certain stuff linux can't do and when that time comes, I'll have a PC that has enough power to run windows 7 or above :S idc much about the topic...

7. Snailface

Member Snailface My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing

Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
    Antarctica
    They should have killed off XP years ago but they couldn't because the Vista release was a disaster.

Man there's nothing more depressing then having to use an XP computer in this day and age. Fucking worthless dog . . . can't ever find any of my files. [​IMG]

8. Dimensional

Member Dimensional GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Heh. Not many people have to worry, since most have Windows 7 already, and even Windows 8 will most likely be released before 2014. Plus, if you don't want to, then get a Linux instead. It's free, Open Source, and you can install it as many times as you want, on nearly any machine. Even a PS3, if Sony hadn't removed the Other OS. But that's another story. Right now, not many people have to worry.

9. Selim873

Member Selim873 Nunnayobeesnes

United States
    I happen to find XP a very nice OS (For Netbook users for that matter.) I got Windows 7 Ultimate for my Acer, doesn't run as well, but I actually want to install OSX on it because I heard it was possible on the Aspire One D250, and I heard it runs very well on it!

EDIT: Linux, like Dimensional said, is a great alternative too! I was an Ubuntu user for a while, but went back to Windows because I couldn't print, and had to fax all my schoolwork to myself. I also heard that Puppy Linux is a good OS too. You can also try ReactOS, which was written from scratch in C and it has Windows Components so most Windows programs will run on it. Basically a legal mini Windows. (They got shutdown for a while by Microsoft but they got a license to freely distribute it now)

10. SamAsh07

Member SamAsh07 GBAtemp Addict

Bahrain
    Proud owner of a Windows 7 Laptop [​IMG]

Screw XP, it's so yester-gen. Vista was good but slow as hell. 7 ftw.

1000 days left? That's still alot, by 2014 we might have Windows 9 :wtf:

11. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    If they have delayed migration (not that I blame them) and do not have a plan then yeah..... as for security products I doubt everybody will stop.

This being said if I really wanted I am taken to understand I can get a fairly patched up version of 98 going on and some people are playing in similar circles for 2000 which hit end of life about this time last year.

Maybe reactOS will be something worth considering by then or a program not working with WINE will be an exception rather than a common enough occurrence. Similarly what were once a bunch of legacy mission critical programs wrapped in nastiness is now a bit tamer not to mention at this point I could probably afford to wrap an entire version of XP (thinking virtual machine) around a program and deliver that as a program/service (as it stands I already have a bunch of toy virtual machines on my little home machine although never a good sacrifice one for when the scam computer fixers call) or go the other way and go VNC.

What will be interesting though is to see what goes- office tasks are not complex/demanding and not really getting any more so to say nothing of the return of mainframe computing (whether cloud computing will still be a buzzword or not remains to be seen) and whatever is going on in the portable computing world.

Edit: forgot to thank MS as always for making computing complex enough that food ends up on my table should I so desire.

12. dgwillia

Member dgwillia The Bacon Lover

United States
    Lol, i thought they were gonna give out Windows 7 free or something [​IMG]. I think ill stick with my piece of crap computer for a few more years, its done me fine since 2005. Im too cheap to replace something as long as it still works. (And its not like i use it for gaming anyway)

13. shakirmoledina

Member shakirmoledina Legend

Tanzania
    3 yrs of xp support is alot and from w3c it does really show tht xp will burn awy after 3 yrs

14. Slyakin

Member Slyakin See ya suckers

United States
    Oh well. People that still use XP for hardware reasons should either switch to Linux or just pay up and get a semi-decent computer that can run an updated OS.

Anyone else that just wants to stick with XP are really just stuck-up douches. "Oh, why should I switch? This 11 year old OS is way better than that *SNIP* 7 crap!"

15. BobTheJoeBob

Member BobTheJoeBob The most optimistic person on the temp. :)

United Kingdom
    I'm still on XP, and I don't really want to change. Meh, I'll upgrade when I really need to.

16. InuYasha

Member InuYasha Professional Coke Fiend

United States

Unless you need to run the latest/future games or programs theres no need to upgrade...

17. Jamstruth

Member Jamstruth Secondary Feline Anthropomorph

United Kingdom
    My dad mentioned this. He works as a Depute Head at a school and he winds up managing the IT budget. He was talking about how much money stuff costs and how hard it is with budget cuts. ANd he's going to have buy a new network in a couple of years to migrate to Windows 7...

Inuyasha: every game will run on WIndows XP they just don't have the best amazing graphics as its limited to DX9. Games still quote seperate system requirements for XP.

18. Celice

Member Celice GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    It's gonna really suck for that very reason: cost. The OS is already incredibly over-priced for the sake of being over-priced (like basically all technology). For those public and private institutions working with computers, it's gonna be a huge chunk to force them up if they haven't already.

Personally I was on XP until less than a month ago, when I finally found a reason to move on. I found a game which looked like shit because it didn't have Window's 7 support from DirectX 10 or 11. Which was incredibly stupid in and of itself... I know I could have just forced the drivers into XP and had it pretty much the same, but I figured, hey, now there's a reason, and I went for it.

It's not as bad as it could have been, since I had my brother's computer to mess around with previously and get used to the changes. Outside of the requirements, it is pretty much XP right out of the box.

19. Ringo619

Member Ringo619 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    finally maybe my school will upgrade to win7 or vista atleast , god knows how long they have had xp on their pcs

20. dickfour

Banned dickfour Banned

United States
    Stuck up douches? You sound like the douche. As far as I'm concerned windows xp can do everything if not more given all the legacy uses. There is literally a program for anything you can imagine on xp. New windows programs tend to be bloated pieces of crap anyway. The only reason to upgrade would be for gaming and I don;t do PC gaming. So I'm not going to buy new hardware and Microsoft can take Win 7 and stuff it for all I care.