OnLive UK - First game is £1

prowler

Sony
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
OnLive UK is doing a promotion that ends on the 9th of October, sign up and you can get any title for £1.

If you're unsure OnLive will work for you, just sign up for a free account, download the OnLive software and you can demo any game for 30 minutes.

Even if you're hardly going to buy or play OnLive, it's worth it for a game you're dying to play so do yourself a favour and get Deus Ex Human Revolution for a pound
wink.gif
[/p]
icon11.gif
Source

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I really wish this offer extended to the Americas, I'd love picking up Space Marine for like $1 or whatever.

Does this apply to pre-orders? I know there's a few pre-order deals in the US where you can pre-order a game like, say Saint's Row The Third and you get a free console with it. I'm quite tempted to do one of these, issue is that my room doesn't have a wired connector.

jamesaa

The Prince of Insufficient Light
Trophies
XP
Seems like a good deal might try it out.

Two questions though:
1: Are there any latency issues? I find it hard to imagine controlling a game on a server miles away isn't going to have any latency between input and action on screen (even if it is minuscule)
2: What happens to all your games should OnLive fail/decide the UK market isn't for them/*any other reason here*?

hkz8000 said:
I'm guessing you have to have a pretty fast internet connection to run the games

IIRC it's 2Mb minimum (which probably sucks) and recommended 5Mb. Average speed in the UK is 6.8Mbps

EDIT: Just signed up, while waiting for the email I checked their FAQ:

QUOTEOn a PC or Mac:
MINIMUM SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS:

Internet Connection: 2 Mbps wired or Wi-Fi connection
Operating System: Windows 7 or Vista (32 or 64-bit) or XP SP3 (32-bit), Mac® OS X 10.5.8 or later
Computer: Most PCs and netbooks, all Intel-based Macs
Screen Resolution: 1024x576
RECOMMENDED SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS:

Internet Connection: 5 Mbps wired or Wi-Fi connection
Operating System: Windows® 7 or Vista (32 or 64-bit) or XP SP3 (32-bit), Mac® OS X 10.6 or later
Computer: Dual-core PCs, all Intel-based Macs
Screen Resolution: 1280x720

And i've thought of another question - I have Nvidia 3D vision, will that work with this service? (guess i'll find out soon)

prowler

Sony
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
jamesaa said:
1: Are there any latency issues? I find it hard to imagine controlling a game on a server miles away isn't going to have any latency between input and action on screen (even if it is minuscule)I would think there are a couple of servers around the UK (major cities I guess), though you're always going to get lag even if you can't notice it.QUOTE(jamesaa @ Sep 25 2011, 07:39 PM) 2: What happens to all your games should OnLive fail/decide the UK market isn't for them/*any other reason here*?
They would get serious like in USA, I don't think it's happening here yet but in the USA they have a couple of deals where you can get the OnLive console for free when pre-ordering/buying games.

Like you said with the average speed, UK Internet isn't like USA, it's fairly easy to find yourself a great ISP for a low price.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
jamesaa said:
1: Are there any latency issues? I find it hard to imagine controlling a game on a server miles away isn't going to have any latency between input and action on screen (even if it is minuscule)
2: What happens to all your games should OnLive fail/decide the UK market isn't for them/*any other reason here*?

There's some delay between inputting the controls and them applying but you seem to adjust within seconds of playing. Only if I focus on the fact that there's delay do I notice it. I'm still able to pluck heads off in Borderlands just as well as I could on the Xbox honestly.

I'm assuming if OnLive UK fails, you'll lose the games. I guess it's a risk but they've been getting a bit popular I've noticed.

Maybe a shameless self plug (I'd like to think it's not, I've kinda risen above the whole e-peen game) but a lot of this is addressed in my review for the US version.

jamesaa

Trophies
XP
Just giving it a quick read, very informative
happy.gif

Also done some research and it doesn't support 3D vision (which i expected but am still disappointed
frown.gif
)

Still waiting for my account to be activated then will see what game i can get for £1
happy.gif

dragster215

Trophies
XP
Country
i signed up a few days ago, but my computer cant use onlive because it cant handle the onlive app. the app requires pixel shader 2.0, which apparently my graphics card does not support
frown.gif

jamesaa

Trophies
XP
How long am i meant to wait for this damn activation email? Still don't have it >.<

I could have downloaded an entire game off Steam by now.

DeadLocked

Bi-Winning.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
jamesaa said:
How long am i meant to wait for this damn activation email? Still don't have it >.<

What activation email?
All I had to do was register on the site, then log on in the app. Then enter credit card details on the site when you want to buy.

jamesaa

Trophies
XP
DeadLocked said:
jamesaa said:

What activation email?
All I had to do was register on the site, then log on in the app. Then enter credit card details on the site when you want to buy.

Email I got when I signed up:

It's almost time to start gaming!

Thank you for creating your free OnLive account. Your Player Tag has been reserved and will be ready for you to use as soon as we finish activating your account. You’ll receive a follow-up email when you have access and can start gaming. It won’t be long.

That was over 3 hours ago
dry.gif

EDIT: Also get the same message if I try to sign in.

prowler

Sony
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
jamesaa said:

I could have downloaded an entire game off Steam by now.Checking my email dates, it took 6 hours to activateQUOTE(KingVamp @ Sep 26 2011, 03:27 AM) I wonder how long these promotions/discounts will come. Selling things like this can only last for so long...
Onlive do a fair amount of promotions/discounts, I think America has one every Friday.

prowler

Sony
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
FireGrey said:
No thanks, but i want to actually OWN my games.
I hope this doesn't come to Australia...
Download/streaming services are becoming more popular than ever, you think one person who thinks otherwise is going to stop them? and what if it does come to Australia, what are you going to do?

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
prowler_ said:
jamesaa said:

I could have downloaded an entire game off Steam by now.Checking my email dates, it took 6 hours to activateQUOTE(KingVamp @ Sep 26 2011, 03:27 AM) I wonder how long these promotions/discounts will come. Selling things like this can only last for so long...
Onlive do a fair amount of promotions/discounts, I think America has one every Friday.
1$ discounts every Friday?

I didn't think ever bought any download games and I hope I didn't have too...

arogance1

Trophies
XP
Country
The Promotion is open until 9th October, which is a shame cos I was going to buy Heroes of Might & Magic 6 but it comes out on 13th October.

You can't use the offer on Pre-Orders.

I think 3d works on some games, it is an option on Kings Bounty : Armored Princess

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
KingVamp said:
prowler_ said:
jamesaa said:

1$ discounts every Friday?

I didn't think ever bought any download games and I hope I didn't have too...

Every Friday is actually $5 Friday, where one game is $5 for the day.

I've bought Mafia II, Metro 2033, and Borderlands GotY Edition all for $5 (or $3.50 with subscriber discount).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @Psionic Roshambo, Thats pretty cool.