OnLive Has Been Relaunched

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Gahars, Mar 5, 2014.

1. Gahars
    OP

Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

Aug 5, 2011
    United States
    New Jersey
    [​IMG]

You might be somewhat familiar with the history of OnLive. The service allowed users to purchase games and then stream them to a device of their choosing. The company had difficulty drumming up interest, however, and basically fell apart. Many assumed that it was down and out for good, but, well, you know what they say about assumptions...

:arrow:Engadget

Yes... yes... It's OnLive!

Now, there's a few caveats that need to be brought up. That "CloudLift" bit? That only works for 20 or so titles at the moment, and you have to pay a $15/month fee to access it. There also doesn't appear to be any steps here to fix the service's latency problems, one of its largest drawbacks. If you want to keep on using the regular $10/month service, you can keep on keeping on, of course.

What do you think? Will this be enough to breathe new life into the service? Will it be enough to keep the service OnLive support? Or, sometimes, is OnDead bettah?

2. Arras

Arras GBAtemp Guru

Sep 14, 2010
    Netherlands
    Wait, there are people out there who still care about Second Life?

Ericthegreat and osirisjem like this.
  3. Mario92

Mario92 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Feb 20, 2010
    Finland
    Finland
    At least they figured out that users already has their games on steam that they don't want to rebuy them. However there are already several ways to stream games from your own computer and there's quality and lag issues but at least now I can actually see someone using that.

One word: furries (:wub:)

4. WiiCube_2013

WiiCube_2013 GBAtemp Guru

Oct 19, 2013
    Gaza Strip
    Back in 2012 (or 2011, I forget) I tried out OnLive on a shitty computer and the games that I played were smooth without any lag but since I can't accept myself to go digital then this is no good (Steam applies to).

I prefer all my games and etc to be physical copies.

5. mightymuffy

mightymuffy fatbaldpieeater

GBAtemp Patron
    mightymuffy is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Nov 6, 2002
    United Kingdom
    Wigan, land of the Pies
    Just been reading up about this, and a funny read it was too!

Basically they nearly went bankrupt 18 months ago, and have spent the last 18 months coming up with an idea to make sure the words 'nearly' and 'bankrupt' don't appear in the same sentence anymore when it comes to them - clearly they don't want to be dubbed 'The Nearly Men' this time next year when they're on the dole.... :D

WiiCube_2013 likes this.
  6. Kayot

Kayot GBAtemp Fan

Jan 24, 2010
    United States
    I have been wanting to deploy cheap pc's throughout the house and stream games to them with a beefy server in a closet for quite some time. When OnLive came out I was like, "I hope someone ports that to home networks." I hate Steam and any sort of restrictive DRM.

I've been looking for software that would let me stream games (including emulators such as Dolphin and PCSX2) at a reasonable speed. What do you suggest for a gigabit wired network?

7. BORTZ

BORTZ "Another stunning Van Gogh"

Supervisor
    Dec 2, 2007
    United States
    Pittsburgh
    Huh. I remember hearing whispers about this thing a while back but it seemed to just... fade into oblivion. Probably like this will.

8. Arras

Arras GBAtemp Guru

Sep 14, 2010
    Netherlands
    Uh, I just realized I missed a pun opportunity for Second Life needing a Third Life in order for this to catch on or something to that effect. Oh well.

9. trumpet-205

trumpet-205 Embrace the darkness within

Jan 14, 2009
    United States
    Can't think of anything affordable beside Steam In-home-Streaming or HDMI wireless kit.

10. calmwaters

calmwaters Cat's best friend

May 27, 2013
    United States
    happy land
    "...but they were all of them deceived. For yet another ring was made: deep in the land of Mordor, in the fires of Mount Doom. And with this ring, Lord Sauron enslaved the people of Middle-Earth. But there were some who resisted." That OnLive picture... it must be destroyed for the good of the people...
    How about half of a third life? You never know; OnLive might last that long.

11. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    If you are wanting to stream direct3d sorts of stuff around have a look at RDP. Personally I am waiting on it and virtualisation to gang up and do serious damage (it is tantalisingly close right now-- VMs kind of speak to my graphics card directly, take USB input quite nicely and output network readable RDP well enough).
    RDP has been crazy low latency for years (office stuff is not a problem), does OK transmitting audio and video around (more than enough to watch a video on) and input methods work quite well too (though you may still end up with joy2key).

To do a RDP host like you want you will need the big boy versions of windows, it should not be too troubling to sort after that though.

12. Guild McCommunist

Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

May 6, 2009
    United States
    The Danger Zone
    This Cloudlift thing sounds pretty good, although limited. I really don't see SL Go being useful at all though.

I thought OnLive was pretty neat before it kinda died, it's nice to see it back but I'm not terribly optimistic.

13. Aeter

Aeter A walking contradiction

Apr 1, 2009
    Netherlands
    The lands of nether
    CloudLift seems nice but the monthly fees for a limited amount games is kind of wrong.
    I think there should at least be a free trial period to see how good this actually is or can be.
    The latency problems will probably hold it back the most.
    All in all it's a good concept that has a good chance to become totally awesome in the future, but right now I do not see this succeeding.

14. ProtoKun7

ProtoKun7 GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 3

Global Moderator
    Jan 3, 2009
    Gallifrey
    I didn't expect to hear much from OnLive, to be honest, though CloudLift sounds like an interesting feature which will hopefully get a lot more titles supporting it as time goes on.

Also, it's "breathe new life", not "breath". I could fix that myself but I might as well make you aware too.

6SoulTriox likes this.
  15. Logan97

Logan97 G.B.A.T.e.m.p T.e.m.p.l.a.r K.n.i.g.h.t

Dec 24, 2013
    United States
    Where all things matter
    It deleted my previous account along with my games :(, I'm not mad, but at least I had a discount on them (Sigh).

I support Onlive, but it's funny that every time it's about to go downhill another company picks it up (Flappy-Bird Style) lol.

16. spinal_cord

spinal_cord Knows his stuff

Jul 21, 2007
    somewhere
    Hehe, if anyone in the UK wants an OnLive microconsole, I'll sell mine for a real good price :-)

17. ResleyZ

ResleyZ Swiggity swaggity swooty, I love my own booty

Oct 11, 2013
    Netherlands
    Silicon Valley
    For those wondering which games were supported, you can find it here
    I've got 7 of the (as of now) 20 games, and since I play all my games on my laptop, I don't feel the need to stream my games to my tablet or phone. If they can add compatibility to more steam games I own, I might consider it. I never was a big fan of 'renting' games.

Do you need to have to install the games on a PC or something, or is it all stored on their servers? I currently have a steam library of over 250 games, and I install all my steam games on my laptop. My current library is about 854 GB, which is starting to fill my 1,5 TB game HDD quite fast.

And why do you need to have two subscriptions if you want everything from OnLive? If they just did one subscription for $25,- that'd be more interesting for people. Now you have to pay $15,- to play your already-bought games, and $10,- to get the possibility to buy games on their server. (If I'm not mistaken.)

18. fojacko

fojacko GBAtemp Regular

Dec 18, 2010
    But the real question here is; What is cloud gaming?

19. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    Please do not start that discussion again. Granted it is not like it got heated last time or anything but it did get into semantics.

20. Dimensional

Dimensional GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 7, 2008
    United States
    Texas
    Funny thing. I remember getting a few games on onlive back before it went bankrupt. And today, I checked my library. No games. It's funny! *sarcasm*