Big Boss
OP
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
gallery_128734_403_3479.jpg

The cloud gaming service 'OnLive' have announced that their game streaming service is now available via their OnLive application for both iOS and Android based devices, assuming your Android device has and is running the Gingerbread system or higher.
The games, of which include L.A. Noire, Bastion, Homefront, Arkham City and more, can either be played with new touch-screen controls or by syncing the OnLive wireless controller to your device.
It seems that you will also be getting a nice free copy of LEGO: Batman to go along with the application, so get downloading!

icon11.gif
Source

Thesolcity

Wherever the light shines, it casts a shadow.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I mentioned this in another thread, but to receive the game you sign in/create an account and then wait a bit. It'll automatically credit your account.

OneUp

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
For anyone else with an "unsupported" device, here's a link to the APK from XDA: http://forum.xda-developers.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=809364&d=1323330828

OneUp

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
There are free trials, and as Thesolcity pointed out it can take a couple hours after registration to get Lego Batman.

RchUncleSkeleton

Skeletron 9000
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
I installed it on my HTC Inspire and it works fairly well. Granted it's a little slow and choppy but that's probably due to my internet connection. It took about 3 hours after installing the app for OnLive to add the LEGO Batman game to my account.

Edit: I tried using my gf's iphone and the OnLive site says you need to visit the site with one of the following platforms: Windows 7, Vista, XP(SP3), OSX 10.5.8 or later or an Android device.

They don't even mention IOS as an option, hmmm either OnLive was misquoted or someone's just making stuff up.

jamesaa

The Prince of Insufficient Light
Trophies
XP
Doesn't support xperia play controls how could they have not thought to include that :glare:

Downloaded the app anyway, I signed in but Lego batman has not shown up yet? Am i meant to do something else?

I missed out on deus ex for £1 as I had 9001 different problems installing/running/adding card with the PC onlive app :( Don't want to miss out on another game... even though i've completed this game on my xbox already...

EDIT: Oh, in the source it mentions this: "From what I can gather you need WiFi to run the OnLive games in the UK." So it ends up like the BBC iplayer app, pointless... :(
EDIT2: Now I can't even sign in, same crap I was getting with the PC app ages ago, not worth the effort.

Reactions: 1 person

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
EDIT: Oh, in the source it mentions this: "From what I can gather you need WiFi to run the OnLive games in the UK." So it ends up like the BBC iplayer app, pointless... :(
You wouldn't like cloud gaming on a cellular network anyways.

Reactions: 1 person

granville

GBAtemp Goat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Tried Lego Batman for a couple of minutes on my Samsung Galaxy S Fascinate phone (using Cyanogen7 for OS 2.3). My account isn't showing my free copy as of yet, but someone else mentioned it takes several hours so i'll wait. Tried the free trial though just to see what it was like. Works pretty well considering my internet is having serious issues at the moment. It's basically like watching a pretty high quality youtube video on your phone, only you're able to control it. And considering there's compression artifacts like you'd see in a video, i'm assuming that's essentially what it is. I'm assuming it's a live streamed video taken from a capable PC or console, the stream being sent live over the internet and streamed to your phone. And you're controlling it from afar wirelessly. That's what i'm guessing anyways, i'm not savvy with how this works.

But anyways, the game works fairly well. Again, the picture basically looks like what a pretty good quality youtube video would look like when streamed on the phone. Due to my currently messed up internet, complete with slow speed and instability, i have a few issues. The controls have a slight lag to them, which i'm going to wait and try again later to see whether it's my internet. The picture quality is pretty good (i imagine better on high resolution tablets and such). Occasionally the picture would sort of break up into garbage for a second or two like a bad satellite signal in a storm. Again, for now i'm going to assume it's my internet just messing up. The game otherwise played just fine. Rather neat technology really. I'm not amazed that my phone is capable of playing it considering how i'm thinking it works, but it's a neat system they've gotten set up where you can stream gameplay from a more capable system onto a less capable one. I'd say it's an ingenious way to bring games to a less powerful device like an Android phone.

Are they for real? Arkham City on my Android device?

They're for real, though Arkham City and Asylum both seem to not work properly with Android devices at this time. They require a game controller. I'm not sure if you can map them to a physical controller like a wireless PS3 controller via bluetooth, but there are basically no touch controls supported. I did however boot the Asylum demo. It DOES function, and it looks good enough (though again, you can see compression artifacts like a video would have). But control is completely messed up. Touch screen seems to act as the mouse (so i guess it's a PC stream). I got it ingame, but the camera just kind of went haywire. So until they modify these games to support touch controls or something like that, not playable. Still, it's only a matter of time before it is made playable on an Android device.

granville

GBAtemp Goat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just tried the free trial for Lego Harry Potter and it seems to have a better picture quality than Lego Batman. Not the game's visuals themselves, just the quality of the entire screen. Less artifacts or whatever. Dunno what that means.

I guess the biggest caveat of this service is the required internet connection. Though i realize the service wouldn't even function without it. Probably would not want to play games over a data connection, so wifi is pretty much a requirement (decent wifi). So portability with a phone or tablet would be limiting unless you were constantly around decent wireless hotspots. I'm also wondering if there will be situations where the OnLive servers have issues and you won't be able to access games. But i digress, speculation on my part.

And it looks like they just added my free full copy of Lego Batman. Cool beans. :P Also, it looks like my control lag isn't there anymore, so i guess it was my net. My picture quality may have improved too (also maybe my net).

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Yeah that's exactly how the service works.

Video compression often reacts differently depending on what's on-screen (in technical terms such as contrast, color variation, areas of relatively-static data and so forth), so various games could have different types and levels of compression artifacting depending on what's going on.

granville

GBAtemp Goat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, i basically figured it was a video stream from the artifacts, even though i hadn't heard about how it worked prior to this. When running on a shitty connection, the picture can break up similarly to how a satellite TV signal can mess up in a storm. So i guess that could also go both ways too, even on their end (though i'm sure the issues i'm currently having are on my end, i'm having serious internet trouble that my ISP is attempting to fix).

So with that said, it's really not surprising at all that phones can run really high tier games like Arkham City given the way they're running them. It's basically just streaming and wirelessly controlling a live broadcasted game, which does not take a powerful device at all. The limiting factor is the need for access to a decent net connection. Guess it's sort of similar to DRM in that respect... Still, it's an interesting and pretty cool system. I'd consider it a great and effective way to allow low powered devices to play modern stressful games. Maybe even allow a system such as the Wii to play these sorts of games. I'd also imagine it cuts down on porting issues between devices, porting is essentially non-required (only minor modifications are needed to get the controls and prompts working). There's a lot of pros and cons to this service.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @salazarcosplay, I'm good. Thanks.