Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
500x_mwjump_01.jpg
QUOTE said:
Major online retailer Direct2Drive have announced today that the year's biggest game - Modern Warfare 2 - won't be made available on their PC digital delivery service. Why? Because of rival platform Steam, of course!

Activision's shooter includes mandatory installation of Valve's Steamworks, which the game uses for stuff like installation, DRM and save-game management. Something Direct2Drive (which is owned by website IGN) are having none of, telling us "We don't believe games should force the user to install a Trojan Horse". That "Trojan Horse" being the inclusion of Steam's commercial marketplace.

D2D also told Kotaku that, having evaluated some Steamworks titles earlier in the year (such as Empire: Total War and Dawn of War II) and finding the forced inclusion of Steam's storefront (offering automatic competition to D2D's own services) not to their liking, told publishers that they'd stop selling games bundled in such a manner until Valve "decoupled its retail marketplace" from Steam's other services.

To be clear, D2D's beef is not with Activision, it's with Steam, and to prove there's no bad blood between the retailer and mega-publisher, $5 coupons will soon be offered on select Activision titles to make up for it.

UPDATE - Seems Impulse have come out today and also confirmed they won't be stocking the game, for the same reasons.

UPDATE 2 - Digital store Gamersgate have told Kotaku that, like D2D and Impulse, they will also not be stocking Modern Warfare 2, and again, for the same reason.

Source

antwill

Better Than You
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
This all seems rather stupid, correct if im wrong here (no doubt am) but isn't it illegal/frowned upon to do this sort of thing, ie, forcing consumers into installing a particular service to play the game? But either way, steam is and probably always will be the best online game distribution service for quite a long time.

Minox

Thanks for the fish
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
I have no hard time understanding why they refuse to sell it when it comes with Steamworks copy protection, but I fail to understand why it would matter.

Either you buy it through Steam or you buy a retail copy - it's as simple as that.

mrfatso

That guy!!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Senegal
*looks at his last remanent disc* and agreed, d2d is doing the right thing in my eyes. it's so irritating to install steam and in the end, my game was bind to just 1 account, and what if i forgotten my account? then i'm screwed.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/WOppJ92RgGU?si=KE79L6A_3jESsGQM