• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

Online Gaming Limited to 3 Hours a Week for Minors in China

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Maybe u have not seen this part because it was edited to avoid double posting:
Already replied to it, see above.

BTW propaganda says nothing about the truth of a statement.
Propaganda is either the truth spun so hard that it becomes unrecognizable as such, or just straight-up bullshit. In this case, it's the latter. The government can claim whatever outrageous population numbers they want, and you're clearly willing to swallow and regurgitate them regardless.

If you think you can "stereotype" a group of people into success in school, then the action of restricting online gaming surely helps. lol
I was talking about stereotyping in relation to police suspicion and arrests, not performance in school. That's not within the purview of the police. And since this is a ban on online gaming only, I don't suspect it will have any impact on the average student one way or another, many will just turn to offline gaming primarily instead.

UltraDolphinRevolution

Trophies
XP
Country
China
Propaganda is either the truth spun so hard that it becomes unrecognizable as such, or just straight-up bullshit. In this case, it's the latter. The government can claim whatever outrageous population numbers they want, and you're clearly willing to swallow and regurgitate them regardless.
You believe anything the US state department says. So you find it incredible that Muslims reproduce above reproduction rate? This data was collected before the alleged genocide (though there was a new census recently as well). I think you should consume less Alex Jones. Did you get the arrest claim (regarding online gaming) from him?

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
You believe anything the US state department says.
That's a big negatory, Ghost Rider. I was calling China's actions against the Uyghurs genocide for well over a year prior to the State Department making that their official stance. I don't wait for the government to call out human rights abuses for me.

This data was collected before the alleged genocide
Well there you go. Ultimately you can make statistics say whatever you want them to, but the pictures of ghost towns and Uyghurs being sent off to camps for "re-education" don't lie. It's basically the same type of cultural genocide America and Canada inflicted on our indigenous populations some hundred years ago.

Did you get the arrest claim (regarding online gaming) from him?
Nah I just assumed that a person's social credit score dropping below a certain critical threshold automatically leads to arrest. Is that not the case?

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
Nah I just assumed that a person's social credit score dropping below a certain critical threshold automatically leads to arrest. Is that not the case?
As far as I know it isnt, if your social credit score drops too low, you cant travel out of state anymore, you cant find good jobs, landlords wont like you, ...

Far better oppression method, because it makes you self censor behavior (if you still care), once it starts dropping kinda low.

edit: Actually that (banned from interstate travel) seems to happen once you are blacklisted: https://www.wired.co.uk/article/china-social-credit-system-explained

Last edited by notimp,
Reactions: Xzi

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
As far as I know it isnt, if your social credit score drops too low, you cant travel out of state anymore, you cant find good jobs, landlords wont like you, ...

Far better oppression method, because it makes you self censor behavior (if you still care), once it starts dropping kinda low.

edit: Actually that seems to happen once you are blacklisted: https://www.wired.co.uk/article/china-social-credit-system-explained
Oof yeah, being forced into poverty/homelessness first is actually worse in a number of ways, especially if you're then arrested after that.

FFTW

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think the law is too strict length wise, but I do agree with imposing a limit on online gaming for minors, especially considering that offline gaming is (of course) unaffected.

Also, While I loath dictatorships, I agree with Ultra on the majority of what he said. Not all, but the majority.

UltraDolphinRevolution

Trophies
XP
Country
China
I think the law is too strict length wise, but I do agree with imposing a limit on online gaming for minors, especially considering that offline gaming is (of course) unaffected.

I also agree that it is too strict. One hour per day on weekends is nothing. It is equates to barely 5 or 6 average multiplayer matches. Chinese media already reported on server problems due to the spike of players at 8pm. How predictable.

Speaking of the social credit system: Nick Fuentes is on a no-fly list despite not having committed a crime. Ironically, I can only watch his show in China because he has been banned on all the American social media sites. So America has a social credit system as well. In America, corporations do most of the job though (except for the no-fly list).

Last edited by UltraDolphinRevolution,

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I also agree that it is too strict. One hour per day on weekends is nothing. It is equates to barely 5 or 6 average multiplayer matches.
That's the line you choose to draw in the sand, eh? Oh well, it's good to know there's at least some point where you're willing to push back against governmental overreach/abuse.

Speaking of the social credit system: Nick Fuentes is on a no-fly list despite not having committed a crime. Ironically, I can watch his show because he has been banned on all the American social media sites. So America has a social credit system as well. In America, corporations do most of the job though (except for the no-fly list).
Nick Fuentes is a neo-nazi who has made multiple threats of violence against multiple people. It takes a lot of effort to get yourself on the no-fly list (even with a criminal record) and turn yourself into social pariah that way. That said, plenty of far-right sites still play host to his toxic bile and he still makes plenty of money off them, thus his situation is in no way similar to what the CCP inflicts on someone with a low social credit score.

Blind nationalism clearly plays well in China, but thankfully it only resonates with about 40% of voters in the US.

UltraDolphinRevolution

Trophies
XP
Country
China
Nick Fuentes is a neo-nazi
How? Does he want to revive operation Barbarossa to conquer Russian territories? I think Neocons are more likely to do so than Virgin Nick. I do not agree with Nick with regards to immigration from Mexico, but his show can be entertaining if youtube is not available...

BTW do you regard alcohol restrictions for minors as governmental overreach? Why not?

Reactions: FFTW

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Lol, have you read his Wikipedia page or any of its myriad citations? The dude is practically full mask-off fascist.

BTW do you regard alcohol restrictions for minors as governmental overreach? Why not?
Of course not. We have decades of studies showing underage consumption of alcohol is really bad for brain development, and that's simply a restriction on business (within the public sphere). It doesn't encroach on the parents' autonomy to make decisions for their children.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I want money too I should upload Ai videos of Psi getting laid +1