Ongoing experiment to reduce NES Classic prices and discourage scalping.

Discussion in 'Other Consoles & Oldies' started by Futurdreamz, Jan 23, 2017.

1. Futurdreamz
    OP

Futurdreamz GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Jun 15, 2014
    Canada
    AKA: I'm declaring psychological warfare on scalpers.

Recently I had theorized that many people would be like me and would be so pissed at scalpers they will walk away from what they want out of spite, and therefore the supply of exorbitantly priced NES Classics is far outstripping the demand. There may have been demand during Christmas, but now that the present rush is over the demand has dropped

Control: On the first week of January I have checked Kijiji (like Craigslist, but a tad more classy) for all ads listing the NES Classic - eight that were posted November 11 or just after. I found 70, all with prices ranging $200-300, majority $240 or less.

Procedure: I replied to every add with an offer for a $50 Toys r us card and a $50 Walmart card (Christmas money from family members unable to locate a NES Classic). Six responded with variations on the word "no," to which i reply noting the number of ads available and my suspicion that they are not moving. No response.

Follow up: On the second week I checked Kijiji and found only 35 ads. Prices generally unchanged, but more $200 ads.

Procedure: I replied to all ads, with the offer of a $50 Toys r us gift card and $60 cash (I had used the Walmart card). Only one reply with "No." I did not follow up.

Procedure: On January 20th I posted a fake ad listing a new in box NES Classic for $180, with a note that i will not accept trades or offers. I received only one response, with an offer for $100 which I politely declined.

Follow Up: Today I checked and athe number of ads have dropped to 30, and prices on newer ads have dropped to $160-170, with a singular $150 ad.

Hypothesis: It appears that there are not as many buyers for overpriced NES Classics as the scalpers expected, and I have been making progress in bringing awareness to that fact.

I am currently re-posting my ad at $160, and I made an offer fro $120 on all ads $200 and up. I will announce any further progress. My goal is to bring the going price to $140, and successfully make an offer for $120. Please note that all units are in Canadian pesos, and the NES Classic retails for $80 here.

Last edited by Futurdreamz, Jan 24, 2017

2. Mikemk

Mikemk GBAtemp Maniac

Mar 26, 2015
    United States
    Canadian pesos? Doesn't Canada use Canadian dollars?

3. Futurdreamz
    OP

Jun 15, 2014
    Canada
    At this point they're pesos.

That being said, within 5 minutes I have received an offer for $100. I declined. it appears $100 is the maximum that most people are willing to offer. I suspect that the natural selling price will be about $120-140, but any lower and the scalpers will figure it's not worth the effort.

Friendsxix likes this.
  4. TheVinAnator

TheVinAnator GBATemp's Greatest Vin

Jan 10, 2016
    Canada
    NO COFFEI!
    Yup dollars.

5. Futurdreamz
    OP

Jun 15, 2014
    Canada
    But only worth 0.75 US Dollars, when a year or two ago we had parity.

TheVinAnator likes this.
  6. DinohScene

DinohScene Dino May Fire

GBAtemp Patron
    DinohScene is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    В небо
    Fuck scalpers.

Luckily I've been able to obtain one, got to wait till March till it comes ;/

the_randomizer and TheVinAnator like this.
  7. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    I have no problem with scalpers. I am not sure minor annoyances that come regardless of what you sell and where it going to do much what you might deem benefit though.

8. Futurdreamz
    OP

Jun 15, 2014
    Canada
    Oh really?
    Lets say there something you want, such as the super rare Nvidia GTX 1090. You are okay with the price, and have budgeted for it. Now imagine that when you go to the store, you walk in just as this neckbeard lardwhale buys the last three. When he sees your crestfallen face, he taunts you and all four of his chins jiggle with his laughing; saying that he has no intention of even taking it out of the box, but would gladly sell one for you for four times the original price (and with no warranty). You don't know the next time you will be able to buy one, and every time you almost get lucky there's the fedora wearing neckbeard in front of the line sweeping up the last few boxes with his fatass batwing arms. And this continues for several months.

Go through that then tell me again if you have no problems with scalpers.

9. Futurdreamz
    OP

Jun 15, 2014
    Canada
    Update:
    Currently my ad at $160 is the lowest, except for one at $150. One of the posters I made an offer to mentioned he saw a $130 ad, but it seems to have been deleted by the time I saw it so I cannot verify that claim. I have not received any more offers.

10. ym2612

ym2612 Member

Newcomer
    Jan 24, 2017
    Australia
    here in europe the situation is the same. i almost gave up hope to ever get a mini nes. some shops even said they got direct info from nintendo that there will be no more units produced/shipped. like a limited edition, what is available now IS IT. no new units... since i will not pay twice/triple the SRP to some "non-gamer" crook i was despaired.

until i started to call a local brick and mortar store (with many branches around the country) and asking directly about availability, thereby completly ignoring what their webshop reported about stock. and lo and behold i got my mini nes after some calls at the SRP. it looks like those stores dont even put them on their webshop anymore or only 2-3 units a time (which get sniped from robots in seconds). at the same chain-store but different branch i even got a second mini nes the next day (because i feared i could brick my first unit).

what i am trying to say is: forget teh internet webshops, call your local brick and mortar electronic chain-stores with many branches and maybe it will also work out for you as it did for me.

11. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    I tend to want things which do a function. In your example there will always be another graphics card around the corner. In this case there are a million other ways to play NES games, and most of those are probably better than the NES classic.

Once again I find myself repeating the old business adage of something is worth what someone else is willing to pay. If the original manufacturer/retailer for whatever reason went lower than the market would bear I can't fault someone for taking advantage of that.

12. Mikemk

Mikemk GBAtemp Maniac

Mar 26, 2015
    United States
    Subtle Demise and TotalInsanity4 like this.
  13. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    It is not wrong. I just fail to see why people get so upset in these sorts of situations. Granted this I can see a sliver of practical application for vs the amiibo stuff but it is only a sliver.

14. yuyuyup

yuyuyup GBAtemp Psycho!

Apr 30, 2006
    United States
    USA MTN timezone
    you can't defeat capitalism

15. Futurdreamz
    OP

Jun 15, 2014
    Canada
    Technically you can. It's called price fixing. I'm working to defeat the price fixing by refusing to play along.

There are still new ads coming up for $160-170. Seems we may have to wait a little before sellers are comfortable dropping to $140. The one ad for $150 is still listed, so I'm guessing it hasn't sold yet.

TotalInsanity4 likes this.
  16. DeoNaught

DeoNaught ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Aug 22, 2016
    United States
    Over there ;)
    sounds like a personal expirence?

17. VashTS

VashTS Beat it, son

Mar 14, 2009
    United States
    Upstate NY
    soon these will be $20 on clearance. unless nintendo keeps the supply like the way it currently is, but i highly doubt it because even at $20 this is extreme profit margin.

I'm guessing here but i think these things cost about $3-4 to manufacture, IN TOTAL. including the labor and all that jazz but not including R&D, as we all know that can be costly.

in other words - i think nintendo will make a few million of these to sell and they will be everywhere within the next year.

18. Futurdreamz
    OP

Jun 15, 2014
    Canada
    In what universe does it cost $5 to make these things? You can't simply apply Apple's profit margins to any price to calculate the part cost.

19. Jayro

Jayro MediCat DVD and Mini Windows 10 Developer

GBAtemp Patron
    Jayro is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 23, 2012
    United States
    Octo Canyon
    What if China flooded the market with clones?

20. Futurdreamz
    OP

Jun 15, 2014
    Canada
    If they could they would have done so already. It uses an off-the-shelf mobile CPU, and the only thing proprietary is the controller connectors.