One-year later and still no RPGs?

Discussion in 'Wii - Console and Game Discussions' started by GeekyGuy, Nov 25, 2007.

Nov 25, 2007
  1. GeekyGuy
    OP

Global Moderator GeekyGuy Professional loafer

United States
    So again, we just broke out our Wii for the first time over the Thanks Giving holiday, and now that we're up and running I'm scouring for great game options for the fam. All three of our kids, especially the older two, love RPGs, but alas, there isn't a single retail RPG for the Wii (not counting games that have small RPG elements).

I really hope we don't see a repeat of the Cube in terms of RPG content on this system. Tales of Symphonia was one of the few memorable titles in the genre. RPGs seem like a great place to implement the Wii controller, hopefully using it in a fun way without putting players in clunky situations that more high-action games might do. Perhaps pull off a certain spell with a particular gesture, do an attack with another type of gesture, or even guard by holding the Wii remote straight up, ala the blocking in Wii Sports' boxing. In a turn-based RPG, I think these options could work especially well.

Aside from the new ToS game hitting Japan later this year, and the Wiiware Crystal Chronicles game, what else is there? Anything promising on the horizon? [​IMG]

2. TaMs

Member TaMs Randomizer

Finland
    I haven't heard about any upcoming RPGs for wii (just needed to say that)

3. sekhu

Member sekhu moo?

United Kingdom
    namco have one coming out, don't remember what it's called. but really with regards to RPGs there's not been many announcements, if any, about forthcoming RPGs.

4. mikagami

Member mikagami GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Fragile: Farewell Ruins of the Moon

5. GeekyGuy
    OP

United States
    Let's be honest, Fire Emblem is more of a TBS than an RPG, and this one seems to do little to distinguish itself from its Cube relative.

6. Jax

Member Jax Pip Pip Cheerioink!

Portugal
    Also, Dragon Quest Swords is taking a lot of time to be translated... [​IMG]

7. noONE

Member noONE ~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sweden
  8. GeekyGuy
    OP

United States
    Okay. But, in truth, that's like saying Elf Bowling counts as a bowling game on the DS. [​IMG]

9. noONE

Member noONE ~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sweden
    Haha , i guess you're right [​IMG]

10. sekhu

Member sekhu moo?

United Kingdom
    to be fair, none of the new systems have what you'd call a healthy number of RPGs. 360 has a handful, PS3 has none at present I don't think, and the Wii is in a similar situation. You could always play the GC version of Crystal Chronicles

11. Hadrian

Former Staff Hadrian Better than Craigslist

United Kingdom
    There was also Marvel: Ultimate Alliance, which was passable at best.

Well I for one am glad that developers haven't rushed to bring some out for the Wii, the last thing I'd want is for the Wii to be in the same situation as the DS where we just got a load of average RPGs.

There are some coming:
    Chocobo's Dungeon: Toki-Wasure no Meikyuu
    Opoona
    Call for Heroes: Pompolic Wars
    Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles
    Tales of Symphonia: Ratatoskr no Kishi
    Legend of the River King
    Konami have one coming.
    Sega did have some RPG based on the Alien franchise in the works.

Not sure if any of those will be published or come out of Japan, but still it is very early days for the Wii. I think that with Japan not really into buying "hardcore" games and instead going for casual games instead thats hurting develpment on Wii RPGs but it could all change.

There was also another game that sounded quite good from someone who use to work for Square Enix but I forgot the name.

12. Warm Woolly Shee

Member Warm Woolly Shee GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    It's weird that 360 has the best RPG's of all the new systems.

13. Elrinth

Member Elrinth :Master beyond your imagination:

Sweden
    Lost Odyssey on Xb360 soon out!!! [​IMG]

14. CockroachMan

Member CockroachMan Scribbling around GBATemp's kitchen.

Brazil
    There's also a FF:Christal Chronicles game coming to WiiWare..
    It's Wii's first year, I remember people complaining about the lack of RPGs on the DS about one year ago.. now, there's lots of them!

15. ooh44

Newcomer ooh44 Advanced Member

Thailand
    Opoona is already out in Japan [​IMG]
    but the game is bad. soud effect etc.

16. Hooya

Member Hooya GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    The crystal chronicles WiiWare game is some sort of sim city like thing from what I've heard, not a role playing game.

I tried Tales for the GCN and didn't really care for it all that much. Not like the original Tales on the SNES (fan translation) which was rockin'.

I'm hoping the battle system for the Tales Wii game is a little more concise, unlike the GCN version which felt very... splashy, I guess is the word... for me. I'm also looking forward to CC on the Wii since I've heard it's more of a proper RPG unlike the bizarre version on the GCN which pretty much required a GBA in order to play it correctly and was more multi-player focused.

That Fragile game doesn't strike me as something I'd be interested in, but there's so little information that it's hard to say.

I wish I had a PS2 to play FFXII on. That game seemed like it was so sweet, but I never had a PS2 and don't really want to get one now really.

The last truly good RPG I played was FFVII. I'm more looking forward to DQIX on the DS and currently think that FFXII:RW on the DS is actually pretty fun, even if it's not really and RPG bu more an RTS.

17. Redsquirrel

Member Redsquirrel GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    RPG games take a long time to make. I dont think xbox 360 had any for at least a year. I would say it takes a good 1-2 years to make a half decent rpg.

18. ziddey

Member ziddey GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    I'm surprised to see this as well. Personally I'm not that big a fan of rpg's, but still. I imagine nintendo would want to work out a deal with gamemakers that they'd get a cut of whatever subscription fees. Maybe that's the current problem? If people got hooked on a rpg and stopped buying other games, or the amount they buy decreases..

Then again, if people got into the rpg and it grew, more people might buy wii's?

19. GeekyGuy
    OP

United States
    Hmm...well, it seems like you're referring to an MMORPG, and that might be cool, but I'm hoping for just a good, long story that's fun to play through. I purposely stayed well away from WoW and the like because, though I sometimes have too much time on my hands, I can't afford to lose sight of my priorities. And I've been down that road before. Those types of experiences can be dangerously all-encompassing.

That said, I don't know what Nintendo's reaction would be to having that type of game on the Wii, though I think anything like that would have to be quite limited in comparison to PC options, simply because of what type of performance you can get out of the Wii.

20. manias

Member manias GBAtemp Maniac

Netherlands
    also a shame that final fantasy 13 (all 3 or whatever games lol) is gonna take forEVER like another year I recon.. :/ (for the english version at least)
    Tho the US release of the psp ff7 prequal should be interesting.
    But for the wii.. No good rpg (unless you count zelda which I never do)

Trailer for fragile:
    http://abanzai.animeblogger.net/2007/11/28...-debut-trailer/

looks a bit.. luigi's mansion-y? [​IMG]