One unclear part of flashing tutorial

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Games & Content' started by Sportsmaniac1322, Mar 9, 2009.

Mar 9, 2009
  1. Sportsmaniac1322
    OP

Member Sportsmaniac1322 GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    I've been searching the internet about flashing BenQ drives lately while all my materials come in the mail, and the only part that scares me is the half open tray. I've read a few different guides and they both have different methods, so I'm a little unsure.

The first guide says that I need to open the tray, unplug the 360's power source, push the tray half in, then plug it back in. The second guide says that the first guide's way won't work because the 360 closes the drive when powered on. This one actually says to remove the DVD drive's power from the 360 to push the tray half in. This way makes more sense, but I'm scared that it would result in a ban, because I've read before that if your 360 is ever on without a DVD drive, it's like an instant ban.

Basically my question is would removing the 360's power supply from the 360 while the system is running result in a ban? If so, is there another way to get the tray half open so I can unlock the BenQ drive?

2. Commadore64

Member Commadore64 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I never unplugged anything to do it.
    I would eject drive open.
    put my fingers in there and shut off xbox.
    This would shut door (but cant) and will reopen the drive and xbox is off at this point
    Push drive in half way
    then when you are ready - click power button ON - this will shut the door but allow you to proceed

NOW - it also depends on the SATA controller board.
    Intel worked on BENQ but I had to use DOSFLASH which sent "Magic 28" command to it. then I could flash it
    Toshiba could not be flashed with Intel
    I purchased the VIA VT6421 controller (off Amazon $18 including shipping) which just makes flashing drives easier.
    TOSHIBA/Samsung
    BENQ
    Hitachi
    ...all just work.

Now this BANNING because of no DVD, where did you read this?
    *maybe if you are connected to XBOX Live (networked) - if they could detect that there is no DVD drive with 100% accuracy - maybe they could. But if a heating issue is causing a malfunction temporarily...I think there would be tons of random banings reported.

If you are scared of being banned - dont flash.
    Microsoft can search for anything NOT original regardless of the firmware flash on the DVD
    I mean think about it....If you ever used IMG_BURN take an official XBOX 360 DVD and put it in there
    Look at the Maximum Read Rate
    Official Xbox 360 Disk Maximum Read Rate: 10.08Mbps
    Verbatim Copy Maximum Read Rate: Not Specified

Now before anyone thinks "Holy sh!t!!! What is he doing helping MS destroy our scene"... I am not... They have access to the same stuff we do. They have a lot more time and finances to really shut down anyone they wanted to. I do not know what the flashed firmware does to prevent a custom query. I was just pointing out something simple that they could query to ban people on. So again if you are afraid of being banned - dont flash or only use Original disks (so whats the point of flashing?!?!?!)

3. Sportsmaniac1322
    OP

United States
    I had this PDF guide that took me through how to do an X-Clamp replacement (it was an extremely good guide) and one part in it said to make sure the DVD was connected so you don't get a ban. I've heard this in more than 1 place as well. Some say it's like an instant ban, and one of the easiest for Microsoft to detect. Also, I'm not scared of getting a ban, I just want to take all the precautions to try and avoid it for as long as possible. I don't think that unplugging the power of the DVD would help the cause.

Can anyone confirm Commadore's method of the half open tray? If that would work, then my problem would basically be solved.

4. Commadore64

Member Commadore64 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Well - if it helps you .... 3 for 3 machines not banned
    1 is a 12 month gold thing...2 are the 1 month free thing

But get others to reconfirm is a good idea.

5. moosh01

Member moosh01 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    If you are worried about this half open tray thing, just use iprep and flash in dos.

6. blueskies

Member blueskies GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    I read about this 'half open tray' too when ugrading my BenQ from 1.4 to 1.5, but I just kind of ignored it. I didn't have any problems with jungle flasher and it was able to read/write the firmware. So maybe it's outdated, or unnecessary.

7. Sportsmaniac1322
    OP

United States
    After reading the guide a little more, it looks like I might not have to do the half open tray. Since I have a stock drive (unmodified) it looks like I might just be able to use the BenQ unlock option. From my understanding you only have to use the half-open tray unlock if you have 1.5 iXtreme firmware. Am I right?

8. lenselijer

Member lenselijer GBAtemp Maniac

Netherlands
    yes, thats right, if you have un-modified drive the benq unlock button should work just fine.