Hardware One Thing I Noticed About The N3DS vs the Old . . .

SammyPoke

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Hey everyone, recently I've been going back and forth between the N3DS and the Old with animal crossing game play and I noticed how the Old 3DS seemed to have a better 3D feel up close. Mind you I'm not saying the Old 3DS is better than the N3DS 3D wise, I just see that the 3D features are more prominent in the Old up-close from a certain angle and give that allusion that there is a 3D world there. The N3DS does something similar, however you have to be pretty far away to see it (about 2 to a half feet). Anyone else notice this?

Reactions: Deleted User

Maximilious

Whistles a familiar tune
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I notice that 3D doesn't work well when you're closer to the screen... but that's just nature of the human eye. You brain can't perceive both images as one depending on how close/far away from the screen you are. If you have an O3DS (non-XL) then you have a smaller screen to work with than either the N3DS or N3DS XL which allows you to get closer to the screen and still see the 3D effect.

SammyPoke

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Have you gotten use to using the N3DS from far away? I only have sometimes, since most handhelds before had smaller screens.

Also I've noticed game like SuperSmash Bros Brawl look really well in 3D, maybe the newer games are considering the N3DS functionality.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Hey everyone, recently I've been going back and forth between the N3DS and the Old with animal crossing game play and I noticed how the Old 3DS seemed to have a better 3D feel up close. Mind you I'm not saying the Old 3DS is better than the N3DS 3D wise, I just see that the 3D features are more prominent in the Old up-close from a certain angle and give that allusion that there is a 3D world there. The N3DS does something similar, however you have to be pretty far away to see it (about 2 to a half feet). Anyone else notice this?

Comparing the o3DS to the n3DS, both non-XL, the n3DS definitely has the better 3D effect because of the slightly bigger screen. XL still has a bit more 3D depth but with the o3DS I noticed after playing for a while I had to turn the 3D off and on just to make sure the 3D still worked because I got so used to it I couldn't tell. That didn't happen with the XL and it doesn't happen with the n3DS either.

SammyPoke

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
For me it was the opposite since the old 3DS had to be held in a specific angle and space in order to function properly. So whenever I would move away from the sweet spot 'it would remind me I'm in 3D mode'. I almost forget I'm in 3D sometimes with the N3DS since the face tracking is so good (except when I get too close). Unless I'm playing New Super Mario 3D Land or Majora's Mask which both have AMAZING 3D that it's hard to miss.

InfoFront

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is OT, but I hope they retain the 3D on their next handheld. A lot of people complained about it for years, but they've almost perfected it on the N3DS.

D

Deleted User

I've gotten so used to the 3D on the O3DSXL that I really don't see it anymore when I do put it on, so I don't really bother. I didn't buy the 3DS specifically because it was 3D anyways.
I did try the 3D on an N3DSXL at BestBuy the other day, and the 3D on that was actually noticeable to me.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
For me it was the opposite since the old 3DS had to be held in a specific angle and space in order to function properly. So whenever I would move away from the sweet spot 'it would remind me I'm in 3D mode'. I almost forget I'm in 3D sometimes with the N3DS since the face tracking is so good (except when I get too close). Unless I'm playing New Super Mario 3D Land or Majora's Mask which both have AMAZING 3D that it's hard to miss.

I don't even notice right away when I move away from the sweet spot. I'm too immersed in the game :P

Maximilious

Whistles a familiar tune
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Have you gotten use to using the N3DS from far away? I only have sometimes, since most handhelds before had smaller screens.

Also I've noticed game like SuperSmash Bros Brawl look really well in 3D, maybe the newer games are considering the N3DS functionality.

Functionally the 3D works exactly the same with the exception of face tracking. I've always kept the screen about 1-2 feet away from my face even with the original. This makes me think of A Christmas Story - "You'll Burn Your Eyes Out Kid!"

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/@legolambs