One Piece Odyssey demo live now with save data transferable to full game

Last year, Bandai Namco announced One Piece Odyssey, a turn-based JRPG based on the long-running manga by writer/artist Eiichiro Oda, who also contributed original character and monster designs for the game. A demo has launched today that covers the first 1-2 hours with save data that is transferable to the full release.

According to producer Katsuaki Tsuzuki, the demo will introduce players to the unique island where Odyssey takes place, original characters Lim and Adio, and the basic gameplay systems. He also says that players who are worried a turn-based RPG will be too boring or the pace of play will be too slow will be assuaged by the demo. "Typical command battle tends to be boring with button mashing," he explains, "but One Piece Odyssey takes a unique approach that incorporates elements of One Piece to provide a challenging battle experience that requires precise thinking and strategy, which can be seen in the demo version."

One Piece Odyssey will release January 12, 2023 for PC via Steam and January 13, 2023 for PS4, PS5 and Xbox Series X|S. The demo is now live on the PlayStation Store and Xbox Marketplace.

Urbanshadow

Trophies
XP
Country
There is a website I won't name that changes the pace of One Piece to make it more consumable and closer to the manga, however its not finished and you are technically not watching the whole show.

I am currently on the last episode of Arabasta and will probably try to catch up before playing the games. :wacko:

Still slower than going to a reputable manga reading site of choice and just breezing away 900 manga 15 page each.

OkatsuCSX

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I will say to anyone asking if this game is a good place to get the story or if it will have spoilers, the youtube trailers show the 4 big arcs that you'll replay: Arabasta, Water Seven, Marineford, and Dressrosa. If you don't know one or more of those names you're getting spoilers, and even then these are big arcs that I assume will cut out any in-between. It also seems to play with the gimmick of now you are reliving these moments differently, so odds are the story will be different enough to lessen the original impact of just enjoying the manga/show.

Reactions: _TheGuy_ and 9x0

9x0

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
I will say to anyone asking if this game is a good place to get the story or if it will have spoilers, the youtube trailers show the 4 big arcs that you'll replay: Arabasta, Water Seven, Marineford, and Dressrosa. If you don't know one or more of those names you're getting spoilers, and even then these are big arcs that I assume will cut out any in-between. It also seems to play with the gimmick of now you are reliving these moments differently, so odds are the story will be different enough to lessen the original impact of just enjoying the manga/show.
Good to know, I can't wait to play the games!

_TheGuy_

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How is anyone supposed to catch up with a show that has 1k+ episodes? That'd take at least a couple of months to watch.

And I thought Dragon Ball Z was big (291 episodes). 😆
You can watch it all in under a year, just gotta go 3 episodes daily lol and there's filler too that you can skip at least, I think it's in the wiki somewhere.

DBZ was pretty lengthy, it honestly felt short to me but that's because I really liked watching it and wanted more haha

I would say the big struggle getting into One Piece is definitely starting the journey from the beginning. It takes awhile for things to start rolling. If you are eager to get into the series, episodes 1-61 are good to start with. These episodes aired around 1999 and have aged quite.

I would say up to 250 episodes is suffice enough to decide to drop it if you want, but that is a daunting amount.

I would also not recommend the HD remaster episodes to replace the original episodes. They leave out a lot of buildup moments and are, sort of like a highlight reel

Reactions: Marc_LFD

omgcat

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If I didn't want to watch 1,000 anime episodes... does anyone know if this game is a good place to start story wise? Or will I be forced to do the anime and/or manga just to attempt to get into One Piece? :ohnoes:
one pace (fan trimming of filler and recaps) trims the anime down to around 300-380 episodes. i'd give it a shot.

eternal

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
one pace (fan trimming of filler and recaps) trims the anime down to around 300-380 episodes. i'd give it a shot.
Thank you kindly. I'll need to look into that. I've gathered abridged episodes for some other anime... so if i can get a decent one for this as well...oh my. :D

LuigiXHero

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You really only need to watch fan cuts once you get to thriller bark before that the anime is paced quite well.
Though you can also just get the shounin jump app for $2 and breeze through the entire manga in a week.

But if you never seen any one piece at all and don't know if you'll like it my recommendation is at max the first 53 episodes will tell you if you like it not, because that's when you get most of the crew and it explores all it's themes at that point. Just note it only gets better from there.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    I @ idonthave: :)