Hacking One of those "Which card to buy!"

ninjya

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
So I sold my system and my flash cart a while back.
And now I want to get in the game again! (EA pun) but as I see there are like a gazilaon new cards out there.
The most talked about seems to be:

M3 Real
SC DS One
Team Cyclops
Acecard RPG

So, I wanted to ask you all what the best all round solution is of these? Do they have real time saves? Will they get real time saves? Are there a lot of firmware updates? Do they work with Wii? How well is rom and home-brew compatibility? And last but not least do they need expensive memory cards?

Thank you all for your input about which one I should get.

Destructobot

Crave the Hammer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Out of those 4 carts, the SCDS1 is the only one that has real time saves. The Cyclo Evo has been promising it since it launched, but they haven't delivered on that promise yet. Most slot 1 flashcarts will probably have RTS before too long, now that they have an example to steal from.

I don't have any of those carts, but from what I've read the SCDS1 and the Cyclo Evo seem to have the most features.

The Acekard RPG is currently only noteworthy because it has both internal memory and a microSDHC slot.

ninjya

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Destructobot: thanks for your post (and you too mercluke).

So if they all are getting real time saves in the near future. Which one of the cards is most promising in the other features and compatibility?

Back when I had a ds lite a lot of people were into the m3 brand (back when slot 2 solutions was the shiznit), do the m3 name still hold strong? And what does their card put on the table?

Destructobot

Crave the Hammer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
So if they all are getting real time saves in the near future. Which one of the cards is most promising in the other features and compatibility?
That is just my prediction, it may not really come true.

As for which card is most promising, at this point I'd say either the SCDS1 or the Cyclo Evo, though the Evo is currently on my shit list because of the extremely high failure rate of that cart (15%!).

Keep in mind that I don't actually own any of these carts.

QUOTE said:
Back when I had a ds lite a lot of people were into the m3 brand (back when slot 2 solutions was the shiznit), do the m3 name still hold strong?
IMO, no. The M3 Real seems to have a lot of problems right now, though it has been getting a lot of updates recently. It may end up being one of the best carts in a month or two, but right now it would be my last choice on the list you posted.

Again, I say this without having used any of these carts.

SP0RK

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I recently got a CycloDS over my previous R4DS and it's working great for me right now. I had no problems whatsoever with the R4, but the microSDHC compatibility of the Cyclo is what made me change. It's got a real nice interface and an in-game menu to enable cheats/slow motion, but no real time save at the moment (it appears on the in-game menu but is greyed out).

As for your question about the memory card, it depends on how much space you need. Previously I was using a Kingston 1gb microSD and decided that wasn't enough space for me and upgraded to an A-DATA 4gb microSDHC. The Kingston was only ~$10 and the A-DATA ~$35. If you decide to go this route, here is a good deal on Kingstons (courtesy of this thread), and here is where I got my A-DATA. Both cards have been working great for me.
smile.gif

golden

What a Digital Dummy!!!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I ordered an Acekard RPG from bamboo gaming last week and even at a price of like $85 USD after shipping, they are already sold out of RPGs this week. I am guessing the RPG is starting to get popular and hopefully the open source can kick into gear. Like Destructobot, I do not own any one of the above carts, yet, but will soon be in the possession of an Acekard RPG. While I can't fully recommend you something I have not tried I would say I can completely NOT recommend you the CycloDS at its current state as Destructobot stated, their defective rates are INCREDIBLY high and it would be a horrible, horrible christmas present to find out you paid 60 or so dollars for a cart that won't even work a single minute.

ackers

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I'm in the same situation as you. Cyclo and SC DS One appeal to me the most. For the record I'm not interested in GBA or Wii compatibility. SDHC is most important to me, as well as a nice easy-to-skin interface (I like making skins). In an ideal situation I'd just buy an R4 SDHC but of course they're still not here yet.

golden

What a Digital Dummy!!!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I HIGHLY recommend the CycloDS Evolution, as Golden pointed out, there have been some issues with the latest batch, and you can get it replaced free of charge if you do get a faulty one, but it is a hassle. If not, you might want to look into the Top Toy DS and the M3DS Real, both are exceptional carts.
Let me rephrase and be more specific on my recommendation, I would not recommend a CycloDS as of NOW. I am pretty sure by what everyone is saying it is an unbelievably excellent cart will stay that way. If I was in your shoes I wouldn't get a batch 3 cyclo with the defective rate so high, instead, if I was looking to get a cyclo I would wait for batch 4/black cycloDSs to come out AFTER christmas when they hopefully have the defective outbreak fixed which I have no doubt in my mind they will definitely fix. So in short, I really WOULD recommend the cyclo but just not NOW at this point in time with this current batch. If you can wait for the better quality batch AFTER christmas, I would say do so.

golden

What a Digital Dummy!!!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I HIGHLY recommend the CycloDS Evolution, as Golden pointed out, there have been some issues with the latest batch, and you can get it replaced free of charge if you do get a faulty one, but it is a hassle. If not, you might want to look into the Top Toy DS and the M3DS Real, both are exceptional carts.
Let me rephrase and be more specific on my recommendation, I would not recommend a CycloDS as of NOW. I am pretty sure by what everyone is saying it is an unbelievably excellent cart will stay that way. If I was in your shoes I wouldn't get a batch 3 cyclo with the defective rate so high, instead, if I was looking to get a cyclo I would wait for batch 4/black cycloDSs to come out AFTER christmas when they hopefully have the defective outbreak fixed which I have no doubt in my mind they will definitely fix. So in short, I really WOULD recommend the cyclo but just not NOW at this point in time with this current batch. If you can wait for the better quality batch AFTER christmas, I would say do so.

I agree with Golden in a sense. If you are strapped for cash, that's what I'd do, but if $60 isn't all that much, I'd buy a batch 3, because let's say you get a defective one, the first units of batch 4 will be sent to you first, so that means you'll get one before they sell out, which it will...
I am just curious but don't people have to pay for the return shipping for a DOA themselves? So like $65-$70 is more like it.

ninjya

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hmm, what I am looking for?

Ease of use is always a bonus. But most importantly I think stability and features is.

Features in the sense that action replay is there, that wii connectivity works well and if I should get a expansion slot 2 GBA wouldnt be so bad. But just the GBA thing is not such a important thing. Media and mp3 and such things are NOT important. I have a laptop and an Ipod
smile.gif

The card should be able to run all NDS games perfectly and be good with homebrew. Real time saves are a big plus I guess but I think the rest will be there.

And it should work to play games like castlevania without hickups.

I am not sure what really differs between the cyclo/sdone/m3real except the names and that sdone is the one right now with real time saves.

Maybe one should just go with the G6 Real?

c2ironfist

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Defiantly an R4 or an M3 Simply if you want simplicity and compatibility. ( affordability as well and you can actually find one to buy) all the games I tested including castlevania works perfectly on this card

M3 DS Real if you want all the extras and GBA

Updates are always coming out so compatibility and reliability is there as well.

These two cards offer value for your money and they are one of the best available atm.

Don't get a Cyclo Evolution as its double the price of any other flashcards out there! I would say its a good card, as good as the R4 or M3 DS Real but at the same time its much more expensive.

Why get one when you can get two
smile.gif

I own about 7 Flashcards right now owning more then 1 R4 and 1 M3 DS Real

ninjya

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Money is a little tight for me, but comparing to what you save by owning one of these cards I am willing to pay a little extra for a card that I won't have to switch anytime soon.

Though that doesn't mean I am willing to pay anything
smile.gif

While talking about price, the Cyclo seems like a solid choice if you get a card that works I have come to understand from you all. But the price is the same as the RPG that has both internal and external, but has not yet proven itself from my understanding and also costs the same as the G6 Real with 2Gbyte memory.

So my question is does it validate those dollars?

Another thing, there has been 2 now saying the M3 Real is a good choice, but while browsing around some people are complaining about the card being real "slow" ?

gratefulbuddy

amateur lunatic
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
But the price is the same as the RPG that has both internal and external, but has not yet proven itself from my understanding and also costs the same as the G6 Real with 2Gbyte memory.

So my question is does it validate those dollars?

But the G6 is locked in with a max of 2GB. The RPG is expandable. I have a r4 and a RPG. Since I got the RPG I have not used the r4. I have not had to patch any games or do anything to roms to play them. All homebrew I have tried works. Rudolph was quick to update his 3in1 tool to work with the RPG so I can use my 3in1 too. The acekard team has, so far, been quick with catching the card up to be inline with the other slot1 solutions.

ninjya

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
But the G6 is locked in with a max of 2GB. The RPG is expandable. I have a r4 and a RPG. Since I got the RPG I have not used the r4. I have not had to patch any games or do anything to roms to play them. All homebrew I have tried works. Rudolph was quick to update his 3in1 tool to work with the RPG so I can use my 3in1 too. The acekard team has, so far, been quick with catching the card up to be inline with the other slot1 solutions.

The R4 has never been an option for me in this discussion. I mean sure it is proven and works swell, but feature wise and such I would think the new cards have the edge. I might be wrong though.

Anyways, would you like to share your reasons to getting the RPG instead of the Cyclo/SCone/M3Real
smile.gif
?

TLSpartan

Kills threads
Trophies
XP
Country
SCDS IMHO

I own a V1(first batch, bought on launch
biggrin.gif
) RTS is more of a "my card can do it and your can't so it must be better" thing. Turning on and off cheats (any cheat BTW) is pretty useful (Not sure what other cards do this). Real time game guide is cool (read a game guide while your playing that game) I do not see how the menu is buggy PharaohsVizier
unsure.gif

Mucuna

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
Hey, I'd like to ask a few things too.
tongue.gif

A friend of mine asked me to buy a flash card to his son.

The kid:

1. just want to play DS games;

2. has 8 years old;

3. doesn't read english;

4. doesn't have broadband internet access.

So, what is a ease to use, simple, just for games and that don't require a lot of updates (I could do it ocasionally) option?
unsure.gif

Thanks.
smile.gif

gratefulbuddy

amateur lunatic
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Anyways, would you like to share your reasons to getting the RPG instead of the Cyclo/SCone/M3Real
smile.gif
?

Cyclo- unavailable. I've had a black one pre-ordered for a few months now.
SCDS1- RTS wasn't even a consideration when I bought my RPG. Although I still wouldn't get this cart now that it has rts.
M3Real- Not enough unique features.
Really it seemed to me that any of the carts listed above had almost all the same features. Or those features would be easy to implement with a update. But no other cart on the market boasts onboard nand memory with a micro sdhc slot.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: