One of the best most recent PC games I have played

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by Lodis, Jun 13, 2009.

Jun 13, 2009
  1. Lodis
    OP

Member Lodis GBAtemp Regular

United States
    It is called ''Prototype'' for the PC, has anyone played it?

I noticed a few threads but they were only about the Xbox 360 version. I think the game is like a bit of GTA + Spiderman + Ultimate Hulk. It plays really well at 1680 X 1050 on my NP8662 laptop at 60 fps all high settings and it is so much fun.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGantWzoO5A

2. Maktub

Member Maktub GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Spain
    Holy f-...

God. Do want.

Reminds me of Spawn.

3. Minox

Supervisor Minox Spytech Employee

Sweden
    I tried it and it was kinda fun, but for some reason I'm getting no sound at all and that kinda put me off from playing more of it.

4. Trolly

Member Trolly GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United Kingdom
    £35 on Steam :\. Damn Steam's overpricedness for new games. If it doesn't go down in price before I start getting bored of my current games, I'll just get it off Amazon though. It looks hella fun, but predictably the graphics and repetitive missions were criticised. Hopefully it' so cool and fun you don't really notice aha.

5. WildWon

Former Staff WildWon EXTERMINATE!

United States
    I so badly want this game for 360. Waiting for the cash-problems to end here, and i'll have it.

Can. Not. Wait.

(like Crackdown w/ superpowers... right?)

6. Lodis
    OP

United States

I really wanted to buy this game from Steam because I like not needing to have a CD / DVD in the drive to during play and how games automatically update themselves, but it was just too expensive so I just got it from Amazon UK with free delivery and used a NOCD patch.

I wouldn't worry about the repetitiveness because causing that much mayhem on such a large scale never gets old and you can do missions how you chose to, to some extent.

I had a mission where I was told to destroy a tank, the suggestion was to use an RPG from a dead soldier and then to destroy a helicopter of a person I needed info from who would be trying to flee.

Instead (2nd attempt), I went into the tanks blind spot so it couldn't fire at me anymore, kicked and pounded on the tank until it exploded so I could consume the fleeing person and get their memories. Bare in mind that you aren't super strong in the early missions yet.

I recommend any gamer to buy this game and to visit this forum to solve any issues http://tinyurl.com/msk85v

7. Lodis
    OP

United States

That would put me off too but check here http://forums.activision.com/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=1788

For all other issues, this might help http://tinyurl.com/nxxfxc

I think this is always the problem with PC games because the game has to work on such a wide variation of different specifications and variables unlike the console versions.

8. da_head

Member da_head A dying dream..

Canada
    y u guys complaining about money problems? the torrent took me about 15 seconds to find lmao

9. Lodis
    OP

United States

How many more great games do you think we will get for the PC if everyone just downloads them for free? This game is worth paying for and you know it. Unlike you, some people actually pay for their games.

I can understand if the game was a seriously sloppy port with no effort made and crap performance like that SR2 port but it isn't.

10. Trolly

Member Trolly GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United Kingdom
    Haha, I found gaming kinda loses its satisfaction if you don't pay for any games. I still pirate games for Wii and DS, so I'm a hypocrite, but at least paying for some games doesn't mean you're spoilt for choice and won't play any games fully or appreciate them properly - which I found myself doing with the PC, then running out of games to play.
    Plus, PC games are massive, so they take forever to torrent (I seem to remember Mass Effect taking me a month XD) and take up loooads of the download limit (if your ISP has one like mine does).

11. Maktub

Member Maktub GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Spain
    Are specs too high..?

12. Frederica Bernkastel

Member Frederica Bernkastel WebPerf and PWA advocate; @antoligy on Twitter

United Kingdom
    THAT LOOKS AWESOME.
    DO WANT.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    SERIOUSLY WOW!

13. vergilite

Member vergilite GBATemps Regular Clown

United Kingdom
    to repeat the person above me WHAT ARE THE SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS

14. SkyintheSea

Member SkyintheSea GBAtemp Regular

United States
  15. Lodis
    OP

United States
    Some who purchased the boxed version of the game (yes some people actually support the devs of good games), they said that the minimum requirements were a 1.8 Ghz Core2Duo CPU but everywhere on the internet it has been reported as 2.66 Ghz. Steam also reports 1.8 Ghz as the minimum apparently.

Just as an example, I play this at 60 fps, highs of 72fps+, lows of 45 fps, 35 fps occasionally when there is major action going on with no visible slow downs on my laptop with all high settings at 1680 X 1050 resolution. No AA or Vsync, hat kills the frame rates.

I have Windows XP SP3, 3 GB DDR3 RAM, 2.0 Ghz Q9000 Quad Core CPU, GTX 260M GPU that has 1GB of DDR3 VRAM and a 500GB 7200 RPM HDD. Some say that this game is more CPU intensive than GPU but I am not so sure.

I think you could play this game with just a 2.0 Ghz Core2Duo paired with a good high end GPU at high resolutions if you have enough VRAM. The game likes to limit your selectable resolution if you don't have enough though.

If you get slow frame rates on a decent system, you might want to disable unused HID devices.

16. k3vin369

Newcomer k3vin369 Advanced Member

Canada
    I seen gameplay videos on youtube, it looks pretty cool. Also a bit too violent/gory for me. Looks fun jumping around and climbing buildings though!

Sorry to go off-topic, but Left 4 Dead is also a great game, not very recent though. [​IMG]

17. kjean

Member kjean GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Korea, South
    Awesome game I guess.

And I've unlocked the plus difficulty. Does it mean total 6 difficulties? [​IMG]

18. mrfatso

Member mrfatso That guy!!

Singapore
    hurray, if its CPU intensive, i am safe [​IMG] if its GPU though,

can anyone help me with the shovel, i need to bury my laptop [​IMG]