One little thing you'll want to be careful of...

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by jhoff80, Mar 12, 2007.

Mar 12, 2007
  1. jhoff80
    OP

Member jhoff80 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    There's a little tiny nut for the CMOS battery door that fell off on my Wii and now the door won't screw back in. However, after the ordeal of opening it, I'm too lazy to put it back, but I thought I'd warn everyone to be careful of it since I haven't seen it before.

2. instigator

Newcomer instigator Advanced Member

Canada
    Yeah, happened to me too. Couldn't get it back on, either. Ended up taping it down with clear tape. Ghetto but it work!

3. geepee

Newcomer geepee Newbie

Canada
    Lets hope it didn't fall inside, cause if it did...that could suck.

4. Perplexer

Member Perplexer GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Happened to my buddy, too. Once that nut drops ([​IMG]) then it's hard to get back on.

I had a slightly larger tapered screw, which bit into the plastic hole and kept the battery door in place.

5. Dirtie

Former Staff Dirtie :'D

New Zealand
    Wait what? Elaborate please [​IMG]

6. jhoff80
    OP

Member jhoff80 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    On the inside of the Wii, where the little CMOS battery screws into, there is a small squarish nut. Without this nut attached, the CMOS battery has nothing to screw into and can pop right out. Mine came off without me even noticing. I saw the nut but had no idea where it came from until after I had put all the other screws back in.

7. mustnap

Member mustnap GBAtemp Regular

United States
    can anyone post a picture of the location of that nut? coz i will mod my Wii next week therefore it will be helpful if i could see the location of that thing.

thanks a lot..

8. blueskies

Member blueskies GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    the exact same thing happened to me. I was like 'wtf? where did this come from?' didn't figure it out until I was putting everything back together. I just threw the nut away and used some tape.

9. WII20

Newcomer WII20 Member

United States
    The same thing happend to me, and I didn't know where the nut came from until I screwed the wii back in place and the battery door wouldnt shut. I eneded up opening my Wii again and using a tweezer to put the nut back into place and the battery screwed ok after that. Also watch out not to accidently put the screw that you take out from under the batter cover in the hole the opposite of it. I did that and the screw wouldnt come off and it was holding that big metal casing inside the Wii, I was able to twist it and eventually break it off from the leg that was screwed (thank goodness the metal casing is bendable or else, I wouldnt have been able to acess the dvd drive).

10. CYatta

Member CYatta GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Man, with so many people having experienced this sort of thing, I think some pictures or a mini precaution guide would definitely be beneficial. Can't get the full picture of what's going on, unless we can see where the problem is at exactly, or where in the process should we be careful.

11. KTroopA

Member KTroopA GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    i was not aware of this nut also. am i right in assuming if the nut is not secured properly or indeed u lost it that might explian the issues some people been having with wiiconnect 24 not working upon removal of the battery for modding. Specifically the forcast and news channel. mine wont update atm. so maybe the battery is not connecting inside or loose?

12. shaunj66

Administrator shaunj66 Administrator

United Kingdom
    Happened to us too, but the battery compartment fits in tight enough for it to hold itself in place so I didn't bother putting the screw or nut back in!

13. mustnap

Member mustnap GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Is this the nut that you guys are talking about?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Perplexer

Member Perplexer GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Nice pics! Yep, that's the little bugger.

15. pelago

Member pelago Member

United Kingdom
    I haven't opened up my Wii yet, but is there a trick to stopping this nut falling out? Will it stay in place if you're careful, or should we tape it in place or something?

16. Fatal

Newcomer Fatal Advanced Member

United States
    Mine didn't fall out when I took my Wii apart. I'd say just be careful when taking the case off.

17. Slimmmmmm

Member Slimmmmmm GBAtemp MoNkEeE

United Kingdom
    Thought I'd bump this ancient topic as the info and pics are great, a very handy hint. Should be added into the Wii - Hardware, Devices and Utilities forum found here:

http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showforum=107

As it is a hardware issue/tip. imo important for people chipping, modding or even opening a Wii.

Great stuff [​IMG]