One drive works fine with GX, other crashes on boot

Discussion in 'Wii - Backup Loaders' started by j_gRn, Jan 7, 2014.

1. j_gRn
    OP

j_gRn Newbie

Newcomer
    Jan 7, 2014
    Canada
    I'm not usually one to step up and ask something on a forum, but I haven't been able to find any other people with the same issue.

I'm currently using USB Loader GX and an 8GB flash drive to play one game on my Wii, as the disc drive is broken. I used it in WBFS format, and it worked without issue. Wanting to have more than a single game to play on said Wii, I went out and bought a 500GB hard drive that I then formatted to WBFS and added three games to it (including the game played on the flash drive - the file is identical). For whatever reason, when I attempted to launch any game from this hard drive, the screen would go black and the Wii would be stuck in this state. Looking around a bit, I found that I probably shouldn't be using WBFS format anyhow, so I reformatted the drive to FAT32 and hoped that this would also fix my problem, but nothing changed.

What puzzles me is that every solution that other people seem to have found with this "black screen of death" issue relates to something being wrong with the Wii or the game being launched: missing cIOS, wrong video settings, corrupt game files, things like that. I know that this is not my problem, however, as my Wii is able to boot from the flash drive just fine, meaning that the game file I'm using is fine and my Wii has the necessary installations, but the same game on the hard drive (even when it was in the same format as the flash drive) will crash upon launch.

The issue seems to be the hard drive itself, but I'm not sure what it is about said drive that's causing problems. It's not as if the hard drive can't be read, as the games show up as detected by USB Loader GX, but every other cause seems to be ruled out. Does anybody know what it is that may be causing this crash, and if so, how it would be dealt with?