One day my N64 carts will die. PC emulation...

Discussion in 'Other Consoles & Oldies' started by SG, Sep 11, 2008.

Sep 11, 2008
  1. SG
    OP

Member SG GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    So, games that have batteries for saves...

N64, GBA, GBC in my case. I'm worried that my treasured possessions will one day die on me, along with my save data. To this end, I wonder if it'd really worth keeping the hard copies or if I should just go emu...

I mean, what's the point in treasuring the things if in 50 years or so the data on them is useless? DS means that GBA & GBC are easy enough to have on a flashcard, but the N64 - that is a whole different ball game.

I'm guessing that my only option is PC emulation - there's no cheap backup unit is there (Z64 = £££)? Sadly, I've toyed with Project 64 & 1964: I'm unfortunate enough to have one of those PCs that has a Radeon GFX card that "Direct 3D failed to initialise your HAL device..." blah blah message with P64 that to my knowledge is unfixable. But that's besides the point -I could always get a cheap unit solely for 64 emulation or toy with 1964. But how does PC emulation compare to the real deal?

On the plus side I'm thinking that I get crisper picture, better FPS and the US versions as opposed to some of the laggy PAL versions which I have. I also have to find a decent pad with rumble - which is good, given the N64's sticks eventually wear out.

I'm interested in what everyone else has to say on this.

2. Sstew

Member Sstew GBAtemp's Grim Reaper.

United States

Same type of thing for me, but with the SNES, I had two carts, just flat out stop working, tried the whole blow on the cart, hit it, ect. Didnt work, So i switched to Emu's while still owning the other games.

As for your 64, Have you heard of Sixtyforce? I believe its out for Windows and Mac, and not a bad emu either.

3. SG
    OP

Member SG GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    Well thanks but Sixtyforce is Mac only, plus the best known are 1964 and Project 64.

But anyway, opinions?

4. roguetrip

Member roguetrip GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Many of those games that use batteries not save but should still work, means you would have to sit and beat the game in one sitting. Every N64 Game I bought recently (bought a N64 about 1/2 ago since my other was stolen) has worked fine, but don't know if they will last up to 20+ years like the old NES/Atari and other games.

Is UltraHLE still around and updated? Maybe another one to try.

I used to have schematics for controllers to be hooked up by LPT port. Probably still have it on disc somewhere. I believe it had NES, Genesis, SNES, N64, Saturn, PSX schematics.

I now use a USB converter that does XBOX, PS2, GameCube though I bought from wal-mart for $10.

5. jalaneme

Member jalaneme Female Gamer

United Kingdom
    i do that with some n64 games i currently own, i use a n64 emulator to play them with clearer picture compared to playing them via ariel out on a hdtv....it's not very nice looking. sometimes i play them on my wii via the VC too as it's easy access.

6. SG
    OP

Member SG GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    Any suggestions for PC controllers?

I don't want to use my N64 one - the sticks will fail eventually. I have a great pad analogue sticksand 6 buttons (A + B + 4 C buttons) and shoulder buttons too, but no rumble. I NEED RUMBLE!

Also, help with 1964 is appreciated - I get the message "Cannot initialize DX8. Check your Direct settings". Open GL gives me no joy - black screen, music only on SM64 and nothing with any others.

7. Taza

Member Taza GBAtemp Regular

Finland
    Logitech Dual Action 2.

Less than a perfect match for the N64 but it works fine, and most importantly is widely supported.

8. da_rula

Member da_rula GBAtemp Regular

Germany
    Why not changing the battery if it runs out? [​IMG] Open a cartridge doesn't need special skills.

9. jalaneme

United Kingdom
    i use my dual shock 3 controller to play games on my pc, you can do the same with a 360 controller too.

10. The Teej

Former Staff The Teej Also known as The Tjalian

United Kingdom
    I use a Logitech 360 clone for mine (Chillstream). Of course, you can always buy a Dual Shock 2/3 (obviously buy an adapter for the DS2) or buy a 360 Wireless PC controller. The 360 controller and chillstream work out of the box on vista, too.

As for a PC for N64 emulation itself, I have an Intel C2D 2.33Ghz, 2GB RAM and 512MB Geforce 8600GS. Not the best setup in the world, but by damnit, any game that can run flawlessly on an emulator can run flawlessly on my machine. Of course, if I had my time again, I would have swapped it for an 8800GTX and a 64bit C2D instead (although I'd probably keep the processing power the same). Gamecube emulation is going the way of 64bit, and eventually I bet PCSX2 will as well.

11. SG
    OP

Member SG GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    Because my save game data will be lost already.

Sorry guys and thank you, but the suggested pad is no good. I was thinking of something more like this but with rumble:

[​IMG]

...note that there are 6 buttons on the front.

12. da_rula

Member da_rula GBAtemp Regular

Germany
    Whats the problem with this? I delete old savegames if i want to start over. Do you want to keep all your saves forever and ever?
    If your battery is running out, then you have another reason to play the game again, straight from the begining [​IMG]

13. jalaneme

United Kingdom
    at least that's better than my specs lol

14. SG
    OP

Member SG GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    I play through them again but yes I do keep one savegame that is 100% complete. Like my Ocarina of Time 2000 score on horse archery or all the coins on every level of SM64 - achievements that I wouldn't want to repeat but am proud to have.

15. Hillsy_

Member Hillsy_ GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    If you lose your console(sell it) you lose the feeling of owning it - like the nostalgic feeling. PC Emulation is ok, Project 64 is the best and can play many titles as long as you have the PC processing power to do so. Goldeneye & Perfect Dark have high requirements to get them running well.

I have used Project64 for over a year with my Saitek 2600 Rumble pad and its' good... but not all the games are emulated perfectly. I prefer to own the console and the games. I understand you are worried about the save data, I have a Super Nintendo so I know... but can you give it up? Can you sell your console and your games? I can't.

In 50 years time, how old will you be? will you still be playing video games? Won't you give your console to your children or grandchildren?

There a lots of things which are unanswered, and is somewhat part of your future; enjoy your console for what it is now. Your console makes you happy, that is all that matters.

16. Diablo1123

Member Diablo1123 Newcomer

United States
    I use a Wiimote + Nunchuk when playing PC Emu
    A classic controller probably would be supported, but I don't have one.

17. playallday

Member playallday Group: GBAtemp Ghost

Canada
    I use this + this (but mine is the Dual-Shock 2 by Sony).

18. UltraMagnus

Member UltraMagnus hic sunt dracones

United Kingdom
    there are converters out there to plug n64 controllers into a pc, and even schematics on the net on how to build them.

I just wish there was a N64 emu for linux

19. dukenukethis

Newcomer dukenukethis Advanced Member

United States
    Well there's always Mupen64, but it hasn't been updated since 2005!

20. gblock247

Member gblock247 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    K, I'm due for a new pc soon(early next year probably). What is the best inexpensive(under $500) pre-build pc to run emulators on, specifically the high-end ones(n64, saturn, some MAME, PS1) or I guess what is the best way to go about building a pc specifically for emulation for someone who knows squat about pcs? Thanks in advance [​IMG]