Homebrew Once the Wii U Shop Channel goes down in the USA, how will it affect Homebrew?

Txistedninja

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello, I'm new to the site, but i have been modding my consoles since the ps2 era. First i want to give a special Thanks to every modder out there, if it wasn't for you guys we wouldn't be able to back up our awesome games. Now my main question is, i have lots of Wii U games (disc and Downloaded), I have a Wii U thats been Homebrewed and i have made back ups of my games but now i'm worried since Nintendo is closing the WiiU shop in other countries evetually the USA will be next. i'm afraid that one day my Wii U could get bricked (Unbricking a Wii U has to be done physically and it looks way difficult)and i wouldn't be able to get homebrew back (Cold boot Haxchi or Haxchi) unless i do the Web exploit. Do you guys know if any other exploit is being worked on? or what we have is the only way? Sorry for the long post

Txistedninja

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@wolf-snake Cool name, I actually bought an Extra Wii U just in case and installed CBHC, i know for a fact that once the Wii U shop channel gets discontinued, there will be people on Ebay selling consoles with the requirements to install Haxchi for $500+

9gennaio

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Hello, I'm new to the site, but i have been modding my consoles since the ps2 era. First i want to give a special Thanks to every modder out there, if it wasn't for you guys we wouldn't be able to back up our awesome games. Now my main question is, i have lots of Wii U games (disc and Downloaded), I have a Wii U thats been Homebrewed and i have made back ups of my games but now i'm worried since Nintendo is closing the WiiU shop in other countries evetually the USA will be next. i'm afraid that one day my Wii U could get bricked (Unbricking a Wii U has to be done physically and it looks way difficult)and i wouldn't be able to get homebrew back (Cold boot Haxchi or Haxchi) unless i do the Web exploit. Do you guys know if any other exploit is being worked on? or what we have is the only way? Sorry for the long post
The 3DS and Wii U eshop they closed were only for South American countries. And they weren't even full eshops, so you couldn't buy anything, just redeem codes. They have been closed because they were absolutely useless, and since other countries have full eshops, there is no need to worry for now.

wolf-snake

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Lol what a shitty attitude you have. You were never a noob at Wii U homebrew I guess even when it first came out.
Actually I wasn't really a n00b. I would spend a bit carefully reading any sort of instructions for any type of softmod methods so I didn't made a dumb mistake like installing a pirated DS game that happens to be the DS game I used for Haxchi in the first place bricking my system.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
that's probably a good mindset instead of relying on the first tutorial you find or even a video tutorial with outdated or blatantly wrong information. I don't know much about the switch (going legit), but I've downloaded and backed up each game I own for when the eshop goes down. I know just enough to check, rename, and compress each file. that's all I really need to know at the moment.

konamicode89

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Totally legitimate concern considering that you needed a legit DS eShop game for haxchi. If only it would be worth 500$ on ebay when eShop shuts down to buy a bunch of used WiiUs and install CBHC on them

Reactions: Txistedninja

Moon164

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
The 3DS and Wii U eshop they closed were only for South American countries. And they weren't even full eshops, so you couldn't buy anything, just redeem codes. They have been closed because they were absolutely useless, and since other countries have full eshops, there is no need to worry for now.

In Brazil we have a complete eShop for the 3DS, but not for the Wii U, in fact, unlike the Switch, we don't even have codes that we have on the Wii U, when clicking on the eShop with the console in the Brazil region it simply gives an error saying that eShop is not available in that region. To install Hacxi I had to create a Canadian eShop account to buy Brain Age, but on the 3DS I was able to download Steeldrive without any problems.

Reactions: Txistedninja

n00bsaib0t

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Something I don’t see a lot of people discussing is that the eshop is the same thing for all platforms that use it, much like PlayStation Network is the same for all platforms that use it. The PSP’s store was shut down years ago (more like never updated to the current addresses, technically the store loads empty pages) but you can still purchase PSP games on the web store, a PS3, or a Vita and download them to a PSP after that. The same could and should work for the 3DS and WiiU, unless Nintendo just wants to be Nintendo about it which is a very real possibility. As long as the instant download for web store purchases still works then you could get a haxchi compatible DS game that way to mod your WiiU. We won’t really know how Nintendo handles it until the time comes, but technically there is no reason for the eshop to ever truly close, the 3DS and WiiU eshops are the same as the Switch eshop on the web store, it’s just the consoles that filter which games you can see.

orangy57

bruh
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Y̶o̶u̶ ̶d̶e̶f̶i̶n̶i̶t̶e̶l̶y̶ ̶d̶o̶n̶'̶t̶ ̶a̶c̶t̶u̶a̶l̶l̶y̶ ̶n̶e̶e̶d̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶p̶u̶r̶c̶h̶a̶s̶e̶ ̶a̶ ̶D̶S̶ ̶e̶S̶h̶o̶p̶ ̶g̶a̶m̶e̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶i̶n̶s̶t̶a̶l̶l̶ ̶H̶a̶x̶c̶h̶i̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶C̶H̶B̶C̶.̶ ̶I̶'̶v̶e̶ ̶h̶a̶d̶ ̶i̶t̶ ̶o̶n̶ ̶m̶y̶ ̶c̶o̶n̶s̶o̶l̶e̶ ̶f̶o̶r̶ ̶a̶t̶ ̶l̶e̶a̶s̶t̶ ̶3̶ ̶y̶e̶a̶r̶s̶ ̶n̶o̶w̶ ̶a̶f̶t̶e̶r̶ ̶f̶o̶l̶l̶o̶w̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶a̶ ̶w̶o̶r̶k̶a̶r̶o̶u̶n̶d̶/̶i̶n̶s̶t̶a̶l̶l̶e̶r̶ ̶t̶h̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶t̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶s̶o̶m̶e̶o̶n̶e̶ ̶p̶o̶s̶t̶e̶d̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶i̶t̶ ̶d̶i̶d̶ ̶n̶o̶t̶ ̶i̶n̶v̶o̶l̶v̶e̶ ̶s̶p̶e̶n̶d̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶a̶n̶y̶ ̶m̶o̶n̶e̶y̶.̶

EDIT: This is NOT true. I just checked and I did purchase Brain Age back in 2016, I was almost certain that I never bought the game considering I didn't have a job or credit card back then

Last edited by orangy57,

ber71

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
You definitely don't actually need to purchase a DS eShop game to install Haxchi and CHBC. I've had it on my console for at least 3 years now after following a workaround/installer thing that someone posted and it did not involve spending any money.

[Citation needed]

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @Sonic Angel Knight, Yes.