OMG a site suggestion

outgum

Pokemanz Master
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Hey guys, Me again you know from like... 2011. my god.

Anyways, Since my absense I have noticed we still have the issue of newbies not reading stickies and posting new threads like. CAN HAZ CAR'ED DAT RUNZ 3DS GAEMS".

Well heres a thought. Dont even know if its possible.
But upon entry of a Topic for the first time they could display the common posts for that area, such as "Can an r4z super ultra gold limited premium edition card with built in flux capacitor play 3DS roms" in the 3ds section. In other words. Upon entering the paticular forum a page pops up before getting into the actual sub forum with the stickies ONLY in it or the helpful/commonly asked questions are displayed, Then at the bottom of the page have a "No , I dont have any posts regarding to any of these topics" And then it continues them to the sub forum to post as they will.

IDK if that makes sense to you guys.

TL;DR?
Make a Page come up for the first time of entering a sub forum with only the stickies displaying or helpful threads where they can click and view.
Alternatively have a button on there saying you dont have a post related to one of those and continue on to the sub forum.
Once this is clicked you will no longer be redirected to the page and instead go straight to the sub forums

Vampire Lied

Resident sociopath
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They would probably just click to get past it.
Not a terrible idea though. Would be nice if something was done to curb new "how do I pirate 3ds gamez and use them on my flashcart that's made for ds or how to hax my 3ds" threads.

Note to self: must finally make a sig. One that includes "no 3ds haxxorz" info.

thegame07

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
How many threads have we seen with this same subject? I've lost count. I find this thread ironic tbh.

Normally I'm not a wannabe mod person who quotes rules but if your going to complain about people make sure your doing things correctly? just one of the ones you broke: but hey nobody is perfect like the people you mention in the OP.

"Please make the topic title you are creating descriptive, clearly reflecting the topic you are addressing. Do not make generic titles such as "Question", "I need help", or in full capitals, with an obscene amount of periods, exclamation marks, question marks, etc. These topics will probably go unnoticed, whereas a topic with a descriptive title will gain more interest."

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I honestly think the only effective way of training a noob is if GBAtemp invents a technology where a fist comes through the internet and punches you in the face if you make a retarded thread.

Sadly, I think we're a little far from creating that, though i'm sure it's in the works as we speak.
It's probably the only solution. Any thing that requires READING won't do a damn thing.

Unless we maybe have noobs literally have to type out a few specific rules before posting...but even then I really highly doubt it'd work. It'd probably turn out like this:

1: Noob goes to make thread.
2: Prompted to type out rules to confirm understanding and actually reading them
3: Noob types out "I will not post retarded threads, such as "can I has 3DS rom player plox".
4: Noob completes typing out sentence
5: Noob goes on to create 7 threads with identical titles in 7 different unrelated forums, "CAN I PLXZX HAS 3DS ROMS PLAYR PLZ?"

Now with my other method:

1: Noob goes to make thread
2: Noob creates retarded thread
3: Shit thread detected by site, automatically deleted, account banned, and fist applied directly to face.
4: Noob goes into coma
5: The Temp lives happily ever after.

Reactions: 9 people

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
I honestly think the only effective way of training a noob is if GBAtemp invents a technology where a fist comes through the internet and punches you in the face if you make a retarded thread.

Sadly, I think we're a little far from creating that, though i'm sure it's in the works as we speak.
It's probably the only solution. Any thing that requires READING won't do a damn thing.

Unless we maybe have noobs literally have to type out a few specific rules before posting...but even then I really highly doubt it'd work. It'd probably turn out like this:

1: Noob goes to make thread.
2: Prompted to type out rules to confirm understanding and actually reading them
3: Noob types out "I will not post retarded threads, such as "can I has 3DS rom player plox".
4: Noob completes typing out sentence
5: Noob goes on to create 7 threads with identical titles in 7 different unrelated forums, "CAN I PLXZX HAS 3DS ROMS PLAYR PLZ?"

Now with my other method:

1: Noob goes to make thread
2: Noob creates retarded thread
3: Shit thread detected by site, automatically deleted, account banned, and fist applied directly to face.
4: Noob goes into coma
5: The Temp lives happily ever after.
SOMEONE GET THIS MAN A PHD.

Reactions: 3 people
D

Deleted User

I think this is a good idea. Sure, most will click past it, but it might lower it by... 5%? Better than none. :P But just make it for people with less than a 100 posts, and don't count it for Edge of Forum (obviously)

Reactions: 1 person

outgum

Pokemanz Master
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Well yeah, thats what I was thinking. Its not like its bringing it into a wall of text to read.
It just brings up the stickies or important threads WHICH they can click into like normal.
And once they have left the "Redirected Stickied/important" page it doesnt happen again.
You could even make it so there isnt a button to skip the page and the MAIN topic has to be clicked first with a nicely named title such as "CAN A 3DS Play 3D Roms" And in the post, it simply says "NO."

This way the stickies are being seen by the new posters as they should be without the oppertunity to go and click a "CREATE NOOB.. I MEAN NEW THREAD"

This way the straight direct important posts that answer commonly asked questions is getting its own Once time off main page to curb this "3DS TO PLAY 3D ROMS?!" stuff going on. Whilst I use this subject as the "selling point" Obviously it could be effective on all sub forums.

Luigi2012SM64DS

G-old member
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Heres what we should do.
make a page that appers uppon entering the 3ds section(everything in the 3ds section) if someone goes there the first time.
A message will say NOTHING PLAYS 3DS ROMS DON`T ASK in size 72 font and the ok button will be grayed out for 30 seconds with a message saying don`t click this unless you read the above message`then we have no idiots asking on how to hack their 3ds 4700 xl zero

Reactions: 2 people

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: @SylverReZ, Indeed lol