IMG_0981.JPG
    318.5 KB · Views: 710

NANASHI89

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Noice!

Can you test it on the Super Retro Advance?

It's a device that allows you to play GBA games on the SNES.

Sent from my SM-T280 using Tapatalk

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
While I did not doubt it will work with a GC with the GB player it is nice to see. By the other others reading then if you have a homebrew capable gamecube there are alternative boot discs that do a lot of good stuff. https://www.gc-forever.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2782 covers it.

That said when people here are asking about the gamecube they probably mean the games that speak to GBA games via a link cable -- things like Sonic Adventure, pokemon colosseum and the other pokemon games on the gamecube. Much like the pal park thing for the DS games if the host game is trying to read with a Flash read protocol then with flash carts using SRAM it not work and it would fail.

I don't know precisely what happens here for the gamecube stuff -- it might be that the gamecube game sends a multiboot file to the GBA which reads the cart* which would prevent you from booting the flash cart and selecting a game in the first place. I imagine you could possibly set a boot check/NOR read and leave the file in the faked save memory.

Here is a screenshot from the manual for pokemon colosseum
Screenshot_2018-04-08_08-09-59.png

As you just leave it to boot and don't have to do anything in the GBA game like set up a link battle it is probably a multiboot loader it sends.

*most gamecube-gba link games are just a multiboot file that takes input from the GBA and sends the GBA screens for maps/inventory/similar. No game cart or flash cart worries for those.

Noice!

Can you test it on the Super Retro Advance?

It's a device that allows you to play GBA games on the SNES.

I doubt that will work.
From memory the Super Retro Advance dumps the game + save and then plays it via its own emulation. For almost all commercial carts this will work just fine (obviously you have things like the solar sensor for boktai that might not work, as well as https://mgba.io/2015/10/20/dumping-the-undumped/ ), but for a flash cart that uses a loader then you will tend to get the loader and thus nothing of great interest. If they did do the thing I mentioned above to trick the gamecube games then it could work for this as well but you would need to boot it on a full GBA device to select each time you wanted a new game.

ThisIsDaAccount

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
While I did not doubt it will work with a GC with the GB player it is nice to see. By the other others reading then if you have a homebrew capable gamecube there are alternative boot discs that do a lot of good stuff. https://www.gc-forever.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2782 covers it.

That said when people here are asking about the gamecube they probably mean the games that speak to GBA games via a link cable -- things like Sonic Adventure, pokemon colosseum and the other pokemon games on the gamecube. Much like the pal park thing for the DS games if the host game is trying to read with a Flash read protocol then with flash carts using SRAM it not work and it would fail.

I don't know precisely what happens here for the gamecube stuff -- it might be that the gamecube game sends a multiboot file to the GBA which reads the cart* which would prevent you from booting the flash cart and selecting a game in the first place. I imagine you could possibly set a boot check/NOR read and leave the file in the faked save memory.

Here is a screenshot from the manual for pokemon colosseum
View attachment 119955

As you just leave it to boot and don't have to do anything in the GBA game like set up a link battle it is probably a multiboot loader it sends.

*most gamecube-gba link games are just a multiboot file that takes input from the GBA and sends the GBA screens for maps/inventory/similar. No game cart or flash cart worries for those.

I doubt that will work.
From memory the Super Retro Advance dumps the game + save and then plays it via its own emulation. For almost all commercial carts this will work just fine (obviously you have things like the solar sensor for boktai that might not work, as well as https://mgba.io/2015/10/20/dumping-the-undumped/ ), but for a flash cart that uses a loader then you will tend to get the loader and thus nothing of great interest. If they did do the thing I mentioned above to trick the gamecube games then it could work for this as well but you would need to boot it on a full GBA device to select each time you wanted a new game.
Since you have the cart, have you had a chance to test if the omega works with the GameCube link cable? I know the everdrive does, so I was wondering if this did too (I read your post and realize it probably won't, but I'd love to have confirmation)

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Since you have the cart, have you had a chance to test if the omega works with the GameCube link cable? I know the everdrive does, so I was wondering if this did too (I read your post and realize it probably won't, but I'd love to have confirmation)
Alas I don't have any of the gamecube games that speak to it*, nor a modded gamecube.

* https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo_GameCube_–_Game_Boy_Advance_link_cable and my general awareness of things would have it as only the pokemon games and Sonic adventure as the things to speak to and manipulate saves. Most others did not want a game, or if they did it was only the header or something.

That said looking at https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/gba/915023-prince-of-persia-the-sands-of-time/faqs/32287 then sands of time might be able to do something.

I also have a plan.
I wonder if I could hack in a multiboot loader into a game and force it to jump to that for these purposes.

Reactions: ThisIsDaAccount

kuwanger

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
IIRC (it's been a while since I did it), Sonic Advance 1/2 (and some others) has a Tiny Chao Garden you can transfer your Chao from Sonic Adventure DX/2 and back. On the EZ4 it worked so long as you didn't patch the game (as the patches would break the link syncing). I have every reason to believe that "Clean Boot" would allow it to work on the EZ Omega, but I haven't actually tried it. More information about Tiny Chao Garden itself. Got quickly bored with Chao raising since it's really tedious work.

Edit: Just tested it. It works fine with Clean Boot. (Had some difficulties because Nintendont needs set to Native Controller.) Couldn't get Sonic Pinball Party to boot (Clean Boot or Boot With Addons) for some reason, though. :/

Last edited by kuwanger,
Reactions: ThisIsDaAccount

ThisIsDaAccount

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
IIRC (it's been a while since I did it), Sonic Advance 1/2 (and some others) has a Tiny Chao Garden you can transfer your Chao from Sonic Adventure DX/2 and back. On the EZ4 it worked so long as you didn't patch the game (as the patches would break the link syncing). I have every reason to believe that "Clean Boot" would allow it to work on the EZ Omega, but I haven't actually tried it. More information about Tiny Chao Garden itself. Got quickly bored with Chao raising since it's really tedious work.

Edit: Just tested it. It works fine with Clean Boot. (Had some difficulties because Nintendont needs set to Native Controller.) Couldn't get Sonic Pinball Party to boot (Clean Boot or Boot With Addons) for some reason, though. :/
Thanks! This is good info to have.

As a sidenote, could I also ask you to try trading with one of the Pokémon Colosseum games? Itd be really interesting to see how that works, since that requires saving to the cartridge.

kuwanger

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry, I don't have any Pokemon anything. So long as transfers are between a GBA game while it's running and a Gamecube, I imagine it should work with Clean Boot. Like FAST6191 said if it's doing multiboot or some other trick it's less likely to work without some sort of hack for which i have no idea of EZ Omega would implement. Hopefully someone else will be able to answer you soon.

Invader TAK

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have all the GameCube Pokemon games except Channel and my Omega JUST got in. I'll test linking between Pokemon Ruby and XD: Gale of Darkness, Pokemon Box, the North American Colosseum Bonus Disc (for Jirachi) and the Berry Glitch Fix/Shiny Zigzagoon demo disc and post the results in an edit.

EDIT: Didn't bother testing Gale of Darkness because the other three worked with Clean Boot. The Berry Glitch Fix/Shiny Zigzagoon and Jirachi discs said the Berry Program didn't need to be updated (no doubt due to the Omega's universal RTC), but they still gave the Pokemon.

Last edited by Invader TAK,

ThisIsDaAccount

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have all the GameCube Pokemon games except Channel and my Omega JUST got in. I'll test linking between Pokemon Ruby and XD: Gale of Darkness, Pokemon Box, the North American Colosseum Bonus Disc (for Jirachi) and the Berry Glitch Fix/Shiny Zigzagoon demo disc and post the results in an edit.

EDIT: Didn't bother testing Gale of Darkness because the other three worked with Clean Boot. The Berry Glitch Fix/Shiny Zigzagoon and Jirachi discs said the Berry Program didn't need to be updated (no doubt due to the Omega's universal RTC), but they still gave the Pokemon.
Omg that's amazing, thanks! Just to be perfectly clear, it is still possible to save the Pokémon games under "clean boot", right?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
How big of a microSD card does the Omega take?
I don't know what the official limit is but to quote the manual
http://www.ezflash.cn/omega.html
card size ≤ 2 GB FAT/FAT16 32KB
card size ≤ 32 GB FAT32 32KB
card size ≤ 128 GB exFAT 32KB or Larger

2792 titles listed on http://advanscene.com/ That is everything, all the shovelware, all the region dupes, all the v1.1 versions...
Even assuming everything was 32 megs (it is not even close -- there are some 108, many of which are GBA videos - https://gbatemp.net/threads/buying-a-gba-flash-cart-in-2013.341203/page-18#post-4756995 ) then you are around 90 gigs untrimmed. The next size down is 16 megs and many more were 8 megs... you can run the numbers if you want.
Add in a few more for betas, demos, unreleased, maybe some hacks and the like.

Realistically you are not going to emulate the SNES or megadrive/genesis on it (not that there is even an option for the latter), I guess you could do some PCE and we might even be able to persuade it to do PCE-CD (technically it worked on the EZ3 and this should be able to replicate that after a fashion). Anyway 8bit and older that is emulated on the GBA... I actually don't know the uncompressed size but https://gbatemp.net/threads/what-co...o-you-use-commonly.495111/page-3#post-7853879 also includes the compressed GBA library and clocks 33 gigs for basically everything that is not on a CD or the DS and newer.
Equally there are no video or audio players you are likely to want to use -- the little ARM7 in the GBA is not really enough even for MP3s, even clocked twice as fast with all else the DS has it was not enough.

At time of writing I can get a 128 gig microSDXC of reasonable speed (certainly more than my class 2 8 gig SDHC I was using for tests) for £25. Larger is rather more but prices for these things go only one way.

To make a scenario in which you are in any way pressed for space you are going to have to really really work at it. Maybe you can get there with the book reader.

Dragowolf33

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

That weird... It doesn't work for me.

NGFan830

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
I have a question. Do M&L:SS and SMA4 use the ruble feature if the games are run from an omega on a Gameboy Player?

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I have a question. Do M&L:SS and SMA4 use the ruble feature if the games are run from an omega on a Gameboy Player?
They should - the implementation of GBP exclusive features is ridiculously low tech compared to the SGB (for example, the game boy player logo is not just for show - the console recognizes it and presses all 4 arrows to start GBP mode)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Just a couple of guys taking their manatee out for some fresh air, why you have to molest them?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Stupid Chinese shop switched their shipping company and this one is slooooooow.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    STOP BUYING CHINESE CRAP THEN
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Communism lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    OUR products
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @LeoTCK actually good quality products are dying out because they can't compete with dropshipped chinese crap
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    @LeoTCK is your partner the sascrotch or smth?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Good morning
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Out of nowhere I got several scars on my forearm and part of my arm and it really itches.
  • AdRoz78 @ AdRoz78:
    Hey, I bought a modchip today and it says "New 2040plus" in the top left corner. Is this a legit chip or was I scammed?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    @AdRoz78 start a thread and post a photo of the chip.
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Yawn
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    and good morning everyone
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BakerMan, his partner is Luke
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: @BakerMan, his partner is Luke