Olympics Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by Razorwing, Aug 1, 2008.

Aug 1, 2008

Olympics Discussion Thread by Razorwing at 2:42 PM (3,416 Views / 0 Likes) 34 replies

1. Razorwing
    OP

Member Razorwing Elite Four Member

United Kingdom
    Seeing as how we had a ducussion thread for Euro 2008 that was pretty popular thought I would start a thread about Beijing 2008.

I always enjoy watching the Olympics when they come round but being from England I don't hold out much hope of Britain doing that well. We are usually pretty good at the boat events such as rowing and sailing but as long as I can remeber we have never been much good at track and field. The only realistic gold medal chance I think we have in the athletics is Phillips Idowu in the triple jump.

2. mxk1000

Member mxk1000 GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    For me the olymipcs are full off cheats, the nations that don't control their drug tests or have any at all will ruin the competition.

when was the last time we had a footballer(soccer player) using steroids??

3. Sonicslasher

Member Sonicslasher In Law we trust.

United States
    I'm looking forward to the swimming [​IMG]

4. golden

Member golden What a Digital Dummy!!!

United States
    I'm probably the biggest track and field fan on this site as my sig also proves it and I am pretty offended by this:

I'll have you know that Russia just banned seven or so of its top class female runners of which have some of the worlds best times this year because of a doping scandal. Every country tries and fulfills their duty as best they can to test athletes and punish those who do not train by the rules to ensure the spirit of the olympics is always at its finest. To even associate the Olympics in and itself entirety of "cheats" is so dishonoring to athletes that have rightfully trained their entire life to compete in the amazing competition.

You obviously know nothing of the subject which is a shame and a blessing in and of itself. In one hand you are missing out on some amazing things but on the other hand no one will have respect for you including me with those kind of opinions so it is better to not even embarrass yourself even more.

About the actual topic, Tyson Gay has a medal shot at the 100m against Usain Bolt(world record holder) and Asafa Powell(previous world record holder) both of Jamaica but I don't know full details on his injury he sustained during the Olympic Trials. Hoping he is ready to compete at tip top shape. Also, Bernard Lagat has a huge shot at medaling if not the actual Gold at Beijing so here's hoping a great race for the both of them.

5. dinofan01

Member dinofan01 Misses the old days...

United States
    I already made a thread about this.
    Link

6. bobrules

Member bobrules GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Canada
    I'm looking forward to watching, basketball, ping pong, gymnastics, badminton, track&field, board diving, and weightlifting.

7. Razorwing
    OP

United Kingdom
    This is a sad truth, there have already been 7 or 8 people caught and the games only start today.

8. Gman 101

Member Gman 101 GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    Anybody watching the opening ceremony? It's FUCKING AWESOME! As a Chinese person, I'm so proud of this... *tear*

9. OSW

Former Staff OSW Wii King

Australia
    opening ceremony seems very good, but it could have been slightly better, a few bits dissapointed me...... (not that i've seen any better opening ceremonies in the past though)

10. R2DJ

Member R2DJ GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United Kingdom
    I am recording the opening ceremony. Have they done the torch cauldron lighting?

I'm also a big fan of track and field.

This makes up for me missing the ending of Athens 2004.

11. CockroachMan

Member CockroachMan Scribbling around GBATemp's kitchen.

Brazil
    I like watching the Olympics.. although this year I won't be able to see much since I got a job and most of the competitions will happen while I'm sleeping [​IMG]

Brazil has a good tradition in Judo, Volleyball, Beach Volleyball, Sailing, Equestrian, Gymnastic and off course Soccer.. we're probably getting some medals on those ^^

And for the first time this year China has a good chance of surpassing USA in the number of medals..

12. Doggy124

Member Doggy124 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Thailand
    /me finding Mario&Sonic at Beijing Olympic DS. [​IMG]

13. Satangel

Member Satangel BEAST

Belgium
    Yeah, WTF!
    I'm really impressed by the opening ceremony, especially the fireworks and how the fuck did they do that thing with the Olympic Rings?

14. Razorwing
    OP

United Kingdom
    Yer the olympic rings thing was class. Gotta say I was impressed with the part where those guys in the boxes were lifting and lowering them into diferent shapes as well, especially the wave they did for a while.

15. Satangel

Member Satangel BEAST

Belgium
    Yeah, me too!
    I first thought it was with air, but then those Chinese guys came out and I was like 'WTF?!'
    How could they know when to lower and higher their block so precise?
    I'm really impressed by this, it really is exactly like I imagined the Chinese Olympic Games and more.

16. WildWon

Former Staff WildWon EXTERMINATE!

United States
    I'm just keeping an eye on the 100m dash for snaking. >_>

17. TwinBlades

Member TwinBlades GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Korea, South
    GO KOREA, CANADA, USA B-BALL TEAM, AND ASIA LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!! XD

18. Satangel

Member Satangel BEAST

Belgium
    Go Belgium!
    I'm pretty sure we will have medals (Highjumping, mountainbiking and probably some other sport), but I doubt there will be golden....
    If Justine Henin didn't quit a few months ago, I'm pretty sure we would have another golden medal (she had gold in 2004, and she still pwns now), but now she quit, I don't think we will see another golden medal...
    It's too bad, would love to have one again.

19. moozxy

Member moozxy hamboning

United Kingdom
    Man those Chinese girls doing the waving have good stamina.

20. NiGHtS

Member NiGHtS GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    I watched the opening ceromony and I am AMAZED! The chinese did effing brilliant! Especially with that painting and the footprint fireworks! clever stuff, a 3 hours worth spent. Oh and go team GB and India! woo